New Coach Questions - Don't Hurt Me, Please.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 13, 2016
I've had a tumbling gym for almost 2 years now... We've built up from literally one kid to 120+ and we've decided to offer Allstars this upcoming season. Although I competed Allstars my entire life & coached Allstars for other programs. I've only "coached," I haven't done the behind the scenes work like getting the music person, choreographer, etc. I just wanted to know if owners and coaches use a timeline?

Example: we make sure our choreography is done by this month, we don't send off our 8 count sheets later than this for our music guy, we register for a competition this long in advance, etc.

I hope no one is rude & says "really you could find this out on your own," because I really have tried & I think I have ideas on when I should do things but I just figured since this forum is meant to help coaches out someone might not hate me and have some positive/helpful input :)

Thanks in advance,

Coach Shawnee

There is a coach's section on here that will be more helpful to you than the general board. You can contact one of the admins to find out the process to join that section. There are some really knowledgeable coaches who contribute to the boards and I'm sure you can get some advice.

I've had a tumbling gym for almost 2 years now... We've built up from literally one kid to 120+ and we've decided to offer Allstars this upcoming season. Although I competed Allstars my entire life & coached Allstars for other programs. I've only "coached," I haven't done the behind the scenes work like getting the music person, choreographer, etc. I just wanted to know if owners and coaches use a timeline?

Example: we make sure our choreography is done by this month, we don't send off our 8 count sheets later than this for our music guy, we register for a competition this long in advance, etc.

I hope no one is rude & says "really you could find this out on your own," because I really have tried & I think I have ideas on when I should do things but I just figured since this forum is meant to help coaches out someone might not hate me and have some positive/helpful input :)

Thanks in advance,

Coach Shawnee
Good luck on your journey! How exciting!!!

Thanks in advance,

Coach Shawnee
When do you plan to start competing? That'll tell you when you need to finish choreo and 8 count sheets. My advice, try and get your routine done by end of summer, beginning of fall. Your music guy should give you a date when you have to have your sheets in, so really your routine should be finished before then. If you plan on competing in Oct/Nov you should have routine, sheets and music done by September 1st. If you don't plan on competing until Dec/Jan, you can have it done a little later. I'd say the skeleton of routine should be done by mid September, with additions, changes, dance done later. Register and pay for your competitions as far in advance as you can. Since this is your first year in charge, it will really be a trial and error type thing, but the best advice I can give you is to try and have everything done early. This will give you time to change or fix things.

Thanks in advance,

Coach Shawnee
We have already designed practice wear, warm-ups and backpacks for next season. Dates for summer stunt and choreo are set. Summer conferences are set. Music we have a good idea of who we are using and 8 count sheets are somewhat ready as we know what we want, where...it's just a matter of making it hit. We had to do quite a bit of watering down from the original vision this year. I'd like to have music at choreography, but no later than mid October as I'd like to get them on the mat in November just to get an idea of where we are for the season which will officially start in January. I'm already planning the tentative competition schedule as well.

Finally found a thread that isn't all negativity. Good luck with your new All-star program, hope it works out.

Finally found a thread that isn't all negativity. Good luck with your new All-star program, hope it works out.
Sadly, there are a lot of know-it alls. Hope your experience gets better.

Thank you so much for all of your advice and best wishes, I'm going to take yalls advice :)! We are excited!

You're not a newbie anymore. There are lots of very helpful coaches and gym owners in the Coaches Section who genuinely want to help you succeed. PM @Weezy and follow the directions from the forum to get access.

Good luck to you and your program!

Best of luck to you and your program! All programs I know of usually use June & July for cheer basics and then do choreography in August and send out for music when choreography is done. Check with the music producer you are using and see how long they need from the time you hand in your 8-count sheet to the time they will finish your music. Hope that helps :)

Latest posts

Back