College New Divisions For Uca?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
I heard rumors that Small Coed I has been split into Small Coed IA and Small Coed I but other than that, there are no other changes that I could think of. Your thoughts?

I heard rumors that Small Coed I has been split into Small Coed IA and Small Coed I but other than that, there are no other changes that I could think of. Your thoughts?
It needs a NON-TUMBLING DIVISION! Not every team is bringing layouts and full to the floor.

But what is the difference between I and IA? This could be interesting.

It needs a NON-TUMBLING DIVISION! Not every team is bringing layouts and full to the floor.

But what is the difference between I and IA? This could be interesting.
@Kentucky Girl is talking about UCA College.

Division I is obviously all the DI schools. From there they split it essentially by talent with DIA being the harder division. The standard coed division is already split with Alabama, Kentucky, UCF, etc. in DIA.

@Kentucky Girl is talking about UCA College.

Division I is obviously all the DI schools. From there they split it essentially by talent with DIA being the harder division. The standard coed division is already split with Alabama, Kentucky, UCF, etc. in DIA.
I'm talking about colleges, some programs are strong stunters, but have nowhere near as much tumbling as the bigger name D1 schools that we all know and love.

I'm talking about colleges, some programs are strong stunters, but have nowhere near as much tumbling as the bigger name D1 schools that we all know and love.
Ehhhh I don't agree with you on that. You can actually do pretty well at UCA without a lot of tumbling. Full team standing tucks are sufficient in most divisions. If you don't have that you have the option of competing in the Intermediate division at NCA. If you don't think you can hang there, compete at local all star competitions. Don't want to do that? Get a group of 4 together and compete in the stunt group competition. There's something about dumbing down college cheerleading that really rubs me the wrong way. It's a college sport, so people just need to accept that they may not be able to compete or win without high level skills.

Ehhhh I don't agree with you on that. You can actually do pretty well at UCA without a lot of tumbling. Full team standing tucks are sufficient in most divisions. If you don't have that you have the option of competing in the Intermediate division at NCA. If you don't think you can hang there, compete at local all star competitions. Don't want to do that? Get a group of 4 together and compete in the stunt group competition. There's something about dumbing down college cheerleading that really rubs me the wrong way. It's a college sport, so people just need to accept that they may not be able to compete or win without high level skills.
Good point.

It's probably the same as NCA. 1A is schools that have FBS football teams.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That is correct. Small Coed IA would be squads from FBS schools with four males or less while Small Coed I would be squads from FCS schools, NCAA Division I schools that don't have a football team, or NCAA Division II.

I feel like cheer has this attitude where people can't accept the reality that some are more talented, essentially anyone can make a team and there's various levels of AS, but college is where you see the divide. In any other sport, people accept that they aren't going D1 at some point. There is a cheer program for every type of athlete, to be competitive at the highest levels shouldn't be easy. You should have a skill set, you should be bringing something to the table.

I feel like cheer has this attitude where people can't accept the reality that some are more talented, essentially anyone can make a team and there's various levels of AS, but college is where you see the divide. In any other sport, people accept that they aren't going D1 at some point. There is a cheer program for every type of athlete, to be competitive at the highest levels shouldn't be easy. You should have a skill set, you should be bringing something to the table.
I totally agree. Once you hit 18 you have to be able to accept that if you can't throw at least advanced tumbling skills, you're not going to make most competitive college teams. No need to create divisions to make adults feel like they're better at something than they are. If you've reached college and can't throw a standing tuck, it's time to accept that you just aren't meant to cheer competitively in college. Of course there are always exceptions but not enough to merit a whole new division.

I want to give some people (not @Official OWECheer because I like him/her) a big reality check.

I learned all my tumbling (besides my back tuck) after I turned 19. It is hard but isn't impossible. Got all the way up to pass full and standing full on dead mats.

D1 and D1A are decided by football attendance numbers I believe

I totally agree. Once you hit 18 you have to be able to accept that if you can't throw at least advanced tumbling skills, you're not going to make most competitive college teams. No need to create divisions to make adults feel like they're better at something than they are. If you've reached college and can't throw a standing tuck, it's time to accept that you just aren't meant to cheer competitively in college. Of course there are always exceptions but not enough to merit a whole new division.

I want to give some people (not @Official OWECheer because I like him/her) a big reality check.
Her.
:D

But I totally get where you're coming from and I agree.

Last edited:
Back