OT New Gym Probs/"the Cheerleading Fan"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 30, 2013
Sooooooo I quit the gymnastics gym I was at 6 days ago after being told I wasn't a cheerleader, I was a "cheerleading fan", being told cheerleading gyms don't teach tumbling right, all that made me want to scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon....I swear to gusshies if I ever have to deal with gymnasts again *head shake*.

I want to join a cheer gym to tumble, but I'm worried about basic stuff I wasn't really taught,
Like:

- Forward rolls
- Back walkovers
- Front walkovers
(I am sooooooo embarrassed that I don't have those skills, I've been working on front punches, back handsprings, back tucks, and round offs.)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

It sounds like you do need the basics of a level 1 class. Where have you been working those skills because that are all over the tumbling spectrum.
Call around to gyms and see if they have level 1 classes for older kids. Or, you can see if a coach will do an evaluation to place you in the right class. Chances are, based on what you've posted, you won't be working those tucks or BHS until you clean up the basics. Just don't get frustrated with the process.

Let's be truthful, there are many cheer gyms who in fact do not teach the correct progression of tumbling. Your gymnastic friends are not so far off the mark with their comments. The fact though that you have been at a gymnastics gym and were never taught the basic skills you described is pretty surprising.
Wherever you decide to tumble now, make sure they are teaching you skill progression and perfection before moving onto the next skill. There are many cheer gyms who teach you to just "chuck it" and move the kids onto the next skill. This makes it very hard to work the higher skills, especially layouts and fulls, because you've never learned the fundamentals of setting up for a particular skill.
Good luck wherever you go!

my daughter and friends think it is hilarious to try to do a backward roll, because alot of cheerleaders can't or it is awkward looking! front walkovers is definately a basic skill that is used and u should work on.

I don't think its strange for you to not be able to do a front walk over or back walk over ...or a forward roll. But it does strange that you were working round offs...and tucks....

I never learned a front walkover...neither did my younger sister and we both were working layouts when we quit cheer (at our respective ages)

It sounds like you've progressed a lot in the last couple of weeks! The original issue with "slow progression" was at least resolved. Good luck finding a new place to tumble!

My best attempt at a backwalkover was a year and a half ago when I was stretching my bridge and attempted to kick over. Just happened to be able to do it. But I couldn't do it again to save my life, not even that day.

Back