New Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 6, 2015
Hi - I've been in allstars for 3 years with both my daughters. This year I decided to go in business with our Coach and open a new gym. I will try my best not to post stupid questions but I have a few that I need to ask. I have several parents using the "Favoritism" card against my girls. Is there anyone else that has dealt with this and if so how do you handle it. I’m hoping I’m not alone with this issue!

Thanks in advance for all the information! :)

The only way to handle the favoritism claims is to not show favoritism in any way. A parent opening a gym is automatically going to have people be quick to judge. If your kids aren't shown favoritism the assumption will eventually be dis-spelled, but unfortunately it will take some time and any one instance of favoritism being shown will put you ten steps backwards in proving it doesn't happen. Your kids are obviously going to be in the gym more so they will be judged heavily. Good luck with your new gym.

Thank you! The issue was my daughter got hurt she tore a muscle. We had a competition coming up and she couldn’t compete so we decided not to go, that’s what started the favoritism. Were a small gym and we didn’t have a replacement. If it had been anyone else we would have done the same thing but it seems it intensified when it was my daughter. The parents went as far as saying she faked it and much much more. I was shocked! I appreciate your feedback!

You have got to have thick skin to open a gym where your child is a team member. Like previous posters said, you've got to be squeaky clean when it comes to fairness and favoritism.

We used to be at a small gym and I can't remember a time where we cancelled a comp due to one injury. We either pulled a cheerleader from another team to help out or reworked the routine. But if that was impossible, then I can understand. I hope it was a local comp and not one where parents had taken time off from work and made travel reservations.

Good luck to you in your new business!!

Thank you! The issue was my daughter got hurt she tore a muscle. We had a competition coming up and she couldn’t compete so we decided not to go, that’s what started the favoritism. Were a small gym and we didn’t have a replacement. If it had been anyone else we would have done the same thing but it seems it intensified when it was my daughter. The parents went as far as saying she faked it and much much more. I was shocked! I appreciate your feedback!
Oh wow! How long is she out with the torn muscle?
Honestly, I would have been irritated as well. In the future, you may want to either rework the routine or pull in a replacement to help with stunts. Good luck!

You have got to have thick skin to open a gym where your child is a team member. Like previous posters said, you've got to be squeaky clean when it comes to fairness and favoritism.

We used to be at a small gym and I can't remember a time where we cancelled a comp due to one injury. We either pulled a cheerleader from another team to help out or reworked the routine. But if that was impossible, then I can understand. I hope it was a local comp and not one where parents had taken time off from work and made travel reservations.

Good luck to you in your new business!!
Oh wow! How long is she out with the torn muscle?
Honestly, I would have been irritated as well. In the future, you may want to either rework the routine or pull in a replacement to help with stunts. Good luck!

I agree, and we will going further! Thank you :)

I agree, and we will going further! Thank you :)
She was out 4 weeks, ruff time for her mentally and physically...The muscle was not completey torn in half so thankful! I would have never been as harsh as a few of these parents were to her if it were another child other than my daughter. We have put an additonal competition on the schedule to make it up. The one canceled was local it didnt mess up travel plans, no money lost....etc. It gets better though :) Thanks for all the comments and feedback just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one!

Latest posts

Back