New Gyms, Gym Closings, And Acquisitions For 19-20 Season

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by california cheer mom, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan

I believe that location is now closed.

ETA: A year or two ago they had well over 20+ locations. My quarantined boredom just got the best of me and there is only 18 listed but the Jacksonville location is also still listed and that is now Brandon Allstars Jacksonville. So I’m not sure how many locations they actual have left.

2. Knowcheering

Knowcheering I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    Cheer is ultimately a business, but from a competitive sport aspect, it's kinda sad how the sport has become a bit like chain restaurants. Instead of 10 special authentic Italian restaurants with one location, we have 10 Olive Gardens with no discernible identities or uniqueness. Now imagine a competition with several Olive Gardens where you don't know one Olive Garden from another... does it matter who wins? I don't know anything about Rockstar's locations except for the original Rockstar. It's virtually impossible to keep track of it all when it's all named the same thing. This isn't a knock on them, it's just the reality of the situation when looking at cheer as a sport.

It's interesting that there isn't this 'chain restaurant" phenomenon in a sport similar to cheer-- gymnastics. Yes, a couple gymnastics gyms have another location, but it's rare and they're usually within the same area and therefore feel genuinely connected. It's not as if Texas Dreams Gymnastics is also located in Illinois, or anything extreme like that.

I know cheer is a business, and I'm aware that some failed gyms would've disappeared if they hadn't gotten swooped up by a "chain", it's just a strange direction the sport has gone in in the past few years, and it's a bit unfortunate from a competitive sport standpoint. The pride in a gym being from one certain area has eroded to some extent. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, I'm just reminiscing on the good old days when there were more gym names than event producers and not the other way around lol.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  3. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Not that the disparity between certain calibers of different gyms wouldn’t have existed if there were smaller chains or less chain gyms, but there would be a lot less “D2” and “D1” because more gyms would be like D 1.5. The reality of chain gyms eliminates that. Although I do absolutely love some of those huge gyms, you’re right, it is sad.

4. AshleyErin

AshleyErin I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot Bracket Winner

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Cheer Sport Sharks just announced they are opening a US gym - the official announcement with location will be at 5:45 EST

Personally I think that this has been a long time coming! It will be interesting to see where they open (this is their second new location this year - they took over a Toronto gym earlier in the year, bringing them to 6 locations)

5. NavarroNewb20

NavarroNewb20 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Are they from Canada somewhere? Seems like cheer has gotten kind of big in the UK. Any of their gyms have a presence here, or vice versa?

6. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Maryland Allstars closing officially on May 31

7. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Cheer Sport Sharks is Canada-based and up until now have only had locations in Canada.

8. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I kinda forgot that they were still around, feel like I haven't seen much from them the past few seasons. Still sad, but not terribly surprised.

9. california cheer mom

california cheer mom Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This would be such a tough economy in which to open a new gym or take over an existing gym. I'm actually surprised to see any acquisitions or new locations right now.

10. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I'm going to make a new thread for the new season if nobody minds...

• Shimmy Shimmy x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Helen uk uni cheer

Helen uk uni cheer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Been out of cheer for quite a while but as far as I know FAME has a london branch but cheer is exploding mainly as more gyms are getting their own gyms which 5 years ago i think maybe 1 had their own gyms now its alot more and we are starting to get more results abroad.

12. NJ Coach

NJ Coach 10's Across the Board....literally. Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    locking this thread since there is one for the current season

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.