College New Nca Rule

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
I am reading about this new rule for bows at NCA. I guess they have to be 2" bows with the tails facing the back and if it is too big or facing forward it will be a .1 in deductions for "collegiate image". I find it funny they they would make such a silly rule, what is this UCA with ribbons tied in your hair? Next think you know they are going to say no more crop tops.

Also heard that the hair has to be in a PONY TAIL.

Can't NCA find other things to work on, like who comes up with this crap? Why do they care about how you wear your hair, i personally think the bow adds to the image and bows facing backwards... that just looks silly.

Yeah I agree, out of all the things they need to work on, like making sure teams done have illegal athletes competing like last year, they want to make a rule about bows. Seeing Louisville without their huge bows is just going to look so odd. If they want to wear tacky bows they could have went to UCA. :eek:

Yeah I agree, out of all the things they need to work on, like making sure teams done have illegal athletes competing like last year, they want to make a rule about bows. Seeing Louisville without their huge bows is just going to look so odd. If they want to wear tacky bows they could have went to UCA. :eek:
EXACTLY, like they should def focus their efforts on things like that, not something silly like a bow.

Sooo about this ponytail thing..... Do they honestly think that's going to work?

I am actually wondering if there are any teams who are willing to take the .1 in deductions to wear their hair down or their normal bows. It could work for some teams like HPU large coed who really have no competition but in other divisions it could be risky.

My thing is I would think most of these teams have already ordered their bows for national, so now they will have to get different bows to fit a random rule.

I am actually wondering if there are any teams who are willing to take the .1 in deductions to wear their hair down or their normal bows. It could work for some teams like HPU large coed who really have no competition but in other divisions it could be risky.

My thing is I would think most of these teams have already ordered their bows for national, so now they will have to get different bows to fit a random rule.

What about all the bobular people? I just don't see this working. I'd take the .1 for the huge bows and regular hair.

Can't NCA find other things to work on, like who comes up with this crap? Why do they care about how you wear your hair, i personally think the bow adds to the image and bows facing backwards... that just looks silly.

It's actually a very collegiate look for cheerleaders on the sidelines of football fields. But a cheerleading competition is not the sideline of a football field.

What is the exact rule?
Copied directly from the email I got yesterday:

College Cheer Coaches:

I want to extend my sincere appreciation to each of you for your support of our "Collegiate Image" initiative over the past several years. I feel that it is crucial to our mission as ambassadors of our institutions of higher education to represent the most elite student athletes on our campuses in every way. Your team members also serve as role models for the millions of high school, middle school, and youth cheerleaders across the country that aspire to one day be a college cheerleader and serve that role as well.

Thus, I feel that is it necessary and appropriate to address the issue of hair bows and how they can have a significant impact on the overall image of your athletes. Hair bows have become more of a standard part of the cheer uniform, so it has become necessary to establish some guidelines in order that they fall within our Collegiate Image philosophy. Please review carefully below the new rule that we will be enforcing during our upcoming 2012 NCA/NDA Collegiate Cheer and Dance Championship in Daytona:

Hair Bows:

Hair bows may negatively affect the overall collegiate image of the athletes and their performances. Hair bows may only be worn behind the top center of the head and may not have material close to the face at any time. Tails of the hair bow should be directed backward and not forward. Hair bows should also be small to medium in size so as to not be a distraction from the performance. Violations of this rule during preliminary competition will result in a warning, and violations during final competition can result in a .1 “Collegiate Image” deduction from each panel judge. Photos may also be submitted to the NCA office in advance for pre-event rulings in the same matter as all other legality verifications.

Did it also say that there should be a ponytail or was that a rumor?

I actually could see many teams taking a chance at prelims with their normal bows waiting to see if they get a warning.
I know many of the bows don't have tails that hang down in the face so maybe they will lets those bows slide.

Did it also say that there should be a ponytail or was that a rumor?

I actually could see many teams taking a chance at prelims with their normal bows waiting to see if they get a warning.
I know many of the bows don't have tails that hang down in the face so maybe they will lets those bows slide.

Ponytail with the bow requirement seems weird. You'd have to wear a ponytail too low if you had to have your bow face backwards. It pretty much sounds like you'd have to wear your hair half up.

Ponytail with the bow requirement seems weird. You'd have to wear a ponytail too low if you had to have your bow face backwards. It pretty much sounds like you'd have to wear your hair half up.

I thought that too, but the people that were discussing it were pretty reliable so that is why I was wondering.

Back