College New Nca Rule

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There are several sad things about this situation. NCA College Dept does this to college teams because generally college coaches don't really complain like all star coaches do. Which I feel like any coach should always fight for their kids at any and every level. But people are afraid of being black balled etc. I'm not really sure why NCA is trying to conform to a "UCA Style" of cheerleading for all that we might as well CANCEL one championship and combine them. Their is a reason why college teams go to either or because they prefer one style over the other. For them to say that we are "student athletes" is interesting because NCA was no where to be found when College Athletics Depts were Snatching Cheerleading programs from their budgets forcing them to go to a "Club" status on campus. Plus I personally feel like the bow that they are wanting everyone to wear and how can be a SAFETY hazard in itself, because when you watch some of these UCA competing teams it looks like their hair is going to come out (sometimes it does actually come out) which then becomes a hazard in safety. But this is only going to get worst because its bad enough the elite high school cheerleaders in the nation have no desire to cheer college anymore because 9 times out of 10 they did more on their high school all star teams than they will ever do in college. Consider the source in NCA on the college score sheet you get more points for doing a (standing) Toe Handspring Handspring full thank you do for doing squad triple jump seq to back tuck. I would like the college coaches band together like all stars and gain some power and show they have the control because if we dont show up their s no competition that can ever take place on any level of cheerleading.
ok im off my soap box now lol...

In the grand scheme of things, it's a damn bow. Let's not get our spankies in a twist over a bow. It's not like NCA came out and said that, just a few weeks out, they were changing the format from all music to the UCA style format with the cheer in the middle. That would be freak out worthy. This? It's a bow.

That said, since there are many club teams that compete at NCA (and they are not cheering games) why should they have to conform to the "collegiate look", when they aren't doing sideline?

I don't think there are that many teams that are club teams. Maybe 10. I don't like having anything thrown at me at the last minute. I'm already stressed enough.
True in the grand scheme, it's just a bow, but it's just a bow that my kids came out of pocket for. I don't like wasting anyones money, but especially not college students who might of had to work for 3 or 4 hours to earn enough to pay for that bow.

MissBee I'm more so concerned with the Principle of the Rule. Because we all know it started with the Uniform and then they put on the score sheet "girls dance" which i feel like is beyond rude and we all know that guys at nca dance to and there's absolutely nothing wrong with guys dancing. My thought was would they tell a guy on a dance team that he can not preform certain moves because he's the only guy and its dance? That would not make any sense at all, so why do that to cheerleaders

This is stupid, period. So many other things they need to worry about, a BOW, seriously dumb! Ok, here's a thought, say the SAME thing to All-Star teams, what would they say? I mean All-Star kids are the future college kids right? So if they wanna change the "Image" then they should start there right? Haha there would be an UPROAR, I agree that I think "it's only a bow" but why do they feel the need to open their mouth about it?

Lets go to standard uniforms (same tops and bottoms for everyone, solid team color with your team name in block letters in a solid contrasting color, no bow, hair choice between pony or half up-no curls, no poufs, no nothing). Problem Solved.

Lets go to standard uniforms (same tops and bottoms for everyone, solid team color with your team name in block letters in a solid contrasting color, no bow, hair choice between pony or half up-no curls, no poufs, no nothing). Problem Solved.

Uniforms shall be a fitted replica of either the football or basketball uniform for the college represented. Pants/shorts shall be of the same length as worn by the male athletes the sport the uniform is derived from and shall be worn at the natural waist of the cheerleader. Jerseys shall be basketball tank style or football short sleeved style and shall hit 1 in below the top of the hip. Shirts may be worn underneath the jersey in the exact same style/colors as allowed the players of the sport the uniform is derived from. Pony or half up no curls still creates problems for those with ethnic hair, short hair, naturally curly hair, permed hair and male cheerleaders, thus all hair must conform to current U.S. Army male regulations. Perfectly "athletic/sporty" perfectly "college" perfectly "clear". Now problem's solved ;).

I don't think there are that many teams that are club teams. Maybe 10. I don't like having anything thrown at me at the last minute. I'm already stressed enough.
True in the grand scheme, it's just a bow, but it's just a bow that my kids came out of pocket for. I don't like wasting anyones money, but especially not college students who might of had to work for 3 or 4 hours to earn enough to pay for that bow.

Yeah the fact that 95% of the teams competing probably already had their bows done and paid for now to find out they are going to need a new one. I can imagine Darla at BowFabulous started the Louisville bows a while ago since she has to make so many, basically her work could be a waste of time if they can't wear those bows at all.

This is stupid, period. So many other things they need to worry about, a BOW, seriously dumb!

Yeah they had a team who had ineligible athletes compete last year and instead of focusing on making sure it doesn't happen again they decide to monitor what kind of bow a team is wearing. Smart on NCA, very smart.

This right here proves that a bow rule should somewhat exist. If you are paying out extra money for an accessory in a cheer routine, and a rule infraction makes it so you are wasting money, then a rule is definitely needed. Why not spend your time focusing on the routine and the athletes not the bows on their head.

Why not, thats how the NCAA does it with their sports? The NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS? We'd all get to pick our colors and logos and call it a day after that.

Yall wanna be a sport right? Thats the way to do it. Organized and mandatory rules to allow all teams to be uniform to showcase skills not outfits.

This right here proves that a bow rule should somewhat exist. If you are paying out extra money for an accessory in a cheer routine, and a rule infraction makes it so you are wasting money, then a rule is definitely needed. Why not spend your time focusing on the routine and the athletes not the bows on their head.

No it does not prove that there needs to be a rule. Everything costs money and it has to come from somewhere. While our athletic department is pretty generous bows were not in the budget. I'm sure there are plenty of cheerleaders that paid out of pocket for their socks, spankies, and midriffs also. Do those need to be regulated because they are an extra expense. No.

Uniforms are supposed to make it so everyone on the team looks...uniform (the bow included). So while I do spend the vast majority of my time focusing on my routine (and it is hitting fabulously, thank you very much), the 10 minutes I spent ordering bows would have beed handled differently if I had known of this rule even 3 weeks ago. I could have ordered a plain white bow if that is what they were looking for. While I don't think my bow will be a problem, I really don't feel like this is what I should be focusing on 2 weeks before we leave

Why not, thats how the NCAA does it with their sports? The NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS? We'd all get to pick our colors and logos and call it a day after that.

Yall wanna be a sport right? Thats the way to do it. Organized and mandatory rules to allow all teams to be uniform to showcase skills not outfits.

So do you think Baylor got their new basketball uniforms to show off their skill or to wow people with the bright color?

They are taking steps to making cheer a sport, NCATA and STUNT both have no bows in the hair of the girls, NCA college nationals is not trying to make cheer a sport so anything related to the NCAA doesn't need to be added to that competition.

Also if they are going to rule out bows because of the extra cost then they better put in a rule that says no more uniforms but instead just tshirts and shorts because a big chunk of the athletes at NCA college nationals have to fundraise for those uniforms or pay for them out of their own pocket.

Baylor did get a violation because of those uniforms in the tournament. It exists at all levels.

I'm not saying you can't have a style and a look for your team, but a uniformity is needed to enhance competitions beyond a back yard competition where anybody can wear anything they want. My guess is that NCA is trying to create a refined image of itself for its college level comp and by wrangling in uniforms and bows to a certain extent/level they are able to do what they want. They aren't limiting skills or any of the actually cheerleading, so why so much fuss?

Baylor got a violation? They wore them multiple times.

The fuss is the fact that this is being made a big deal by them so close to competition time. Had this been said over the summer or even in the fall there would be far less of an issue. Teams have already paid for bows and now have to either risk a deduction or buy new bows.

The making a rule about bows is not going to pull in more teams, not when they now have to compete against UCA, NCATA, and STUNT.

If teams wanted to look like the UCA schools they would have gone to UCA Nationals.

Yup! I mean, the rules for other sport uniforms are so specific....the size of the letters and numbers are mandated, they have to be a contrasting color. When you're the home team your uniform has to be white and when you're away it's primarily your dominant team color (in our state for HS athletics). Cheer should have to follow mandated uniform rules. It would make it easier for outsiders to see us as a sport and less of a pageant. I mean, the STUNT uniforms are basically the same thing as women's volleyball uniforms-when you look at them, you know they're athletes.

Back