OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
On how u wish they would have classes in high school that might actually help them as an adult or b towards what they might due after HS Most stuff they memorize for those fee weeks they will never need later! Also here in my city athletes only need a 1.7! To be on a team! Where will that help them in the long run? Colleges are not going to give you a break! They should have to have at least a 2.5 or higher even!
I'm clutching my invisible pearls right now! HOW CAN YOU GRADUATE WITH SCORES THAT LOW? Do community colleges even take scores that low?

With that being said is the common core more of a problem as they get older? I understand being in 4th grade she is still only doing basic math.
I truthfully have not researched common core to know anything here that has been mentioned, although I find the problems plastered on the internet annoying I really never cared I didn't figure it could be that bad. I will say I learned so much from @Just-a-Mom and others conversations on here than I have knew about common core the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not if they have been taught that way from the beginning. I think we see it as more annoying and unnecessary because we know there is a much easier way to solve the problem, and I also think there are a lot of parents who are not math savvy to begin with so these changes make them nervous because it is that much harder to help a child who is struggling when the math they are having difficulty with is nothing like you've seen before.
I don't know how far they will carry this through, but I do believe this is the last year they are giving the Integrated Algebra Regents in NYS before switching completely over to the Common Core one. That being said, they've done such idiotic things with our math curriculum in the past - if anyone remembers Sequential I, II and III which was then abandoned for Math A and Math B before going back to Integrated Algebra, Integrated Geometry and Alg 2/Trig which they have now and what I took in high school - so who knows what they have planned.

Not if they have been taught that way from the beginning. I think we see it as more annoying and unnecessary because we know there is a much easier way to solve the problem, and I also think there are a lot of parents who are not math savvy to begin with so these changes make them nervous because it is that much harder to help a child who is struggling when the math they are having difficulty with is nothing like you've seen before.
I don't know how far they will carry this through, but I do believe this is the last year they are giving the Integrated Algebra Regents in NYS before switching completely over to the Common Core one. That being said, they've done such idiotic things with our math curriculum in the past - if anyone remembers Sequential I, II and III which was then abandoned for Math A and Math B before going back to Integrated Algebra, Integrated Geometry and Alg 2/Trig which they have now and what I took in high school - so who knows what they have planned.

Ugh the Math B. That was the hardest test of my life. I think I drew a picture for one questions in the space where you were supposed to show your work and wrote "I'm sorry" because I didn't even know where to begin with it.

Ugh the Math B. That was the hardest test of my life. I think I drew a picture for one questions in the space where you were supposed to show your work and wrote "I'm sorry" because I didn't even know where to begin with it.
Lol!! I am so happy I missed all that nonsense. A math class that is 3 semesters long? What were they thinking???

I got a 198/200 on one of my accounting tests!! :D I'm so happy. I had two of them on the same day and they're both pretty hard classes so I was super stressed out. Gotta wait to find out how I did on my other one, but I think I did well? Idk I REALLY hope I did because I'm struggling in that class.

As for the Common Core stuff, I'm glad I did not have to go through that. Or any weird curriculums when I went through high school. When I worked for an after school program it was kinda hard helping the kids with their homework and they were only doing addition and subtraction! Like I know how to add, but I don't know how to do it in that way, haha.

And @Just-a-Mom that sounds terrible! I couldn't imagine having to do all of that and being that stressed to get into a public high school. It's making me rethink moving to Chicago after I finish school, haha.

Today @Ems taught me that our little community college has a frickin planetarium. I had no idea.

I feel like that's pretty cool right?
Yes, those are awesome. A high school near me had a huge, really nice one in their school and we went their for field trips a few times, super neat stuff!

Yes, those are awesome. A high school near me had a huge, really nice one in their school and we went their for field trips a few times, super neat stuff!
I just had no clue! She was like yeah I have class by the planetarium and I was like you have class by the who what?? We have a planetarium? That's so awesome that schools can do that, I feel like it'd be really helpful.

I need help coming up with individual award names for my recreation team. I have ms.smiley
Ms. Sassy pants
And Ms. Loud and proud
Thank you in advance!

It's my (very basic) understanding that while Common Core Math seems really complicated for something as simple as 9+8, it's useful when adding (or multiplying, or dividing) much larger numbers because it helps eliminate rote memorization - especially when it comes to multiplication. There's no need to memorize multiplication tables like we grew up doing.

10+7 is easier than 9+8 and 30+13 is easier than 26+17. It's basically how you would do the math in your head anyway, and you don't need a piece of paper to worry about carrying over numbers. But I know next to nothing about common core math, so take that all with a grain of salt.

I should ask my dad - he teaches 8th grade math, but that's algebra so it might not be relevant for him.
That's why I don't have a problem with it. I'm good at math because I think about it the common core way.... I understand why thing are the way they are and I feel like it makes math way easier, especially word problems because you aren't just trying to figure out which equation to plug in. Which is why calc was a struggle for me because my teacher didn't care to help me understand why and expected me to stick numbers in to equations with no idea why. I know not everyone needs that but I feel like if you actually start that way (from childhood) it won't be hard. It's just when you look at something you learned how to do one way and try to understand the other way to do it, it's confusing.

Back