New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. kristenthegreat

kristenthegreat Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Worked as an election poll worker for the first time! It's a really interesting experience, one I recommend trying once (although maybe not in a major election for your first go 'round). You really appreciate what it takes to make an election work and it gives you a TON of insight into how people vote/human behavior. SO fascinating!

Also exhausting. So, so unbelievably exhausting and I wasn't even in a contentious area! If you know a poll worker, buy them a coffee- they deserve it!

2. SpacedCadet

SpacedCadet I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Has anyone noticed the crazy amount of astronaut and space stuff that has come out this year?

We haven't seen such a pop culture obsession with space like this since the 1960s!

3. SpacedCadet

SpacedCadet I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
  4. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I've worked local, provincial and federal elections here in Canada in the past. They are the most peaceful, calm, reasonable things haha. I cannot imagine the contentious energy at a poll in America last week. Thank you for giving your time to support the democratic process!

5. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I can only speak for ours, but there was absolutely no contentious energy and I live in a very diverse area which is generally split politically pretty equally. Election results for our county this year were 56% Biden/44% Trump and while people were socially distanced 6 feet apart, it didn't stop people from talking and laughing in line. Contrary to what social media puts out there, the majority of us American's are still civilized and kind people. ;)

6. emo_wifey

emo_wifey Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Same. We are still very red but I am in one of the counties close to turning blue. Some lines took four hours to get through, mine about two hours. I saw multiple stories of people letting elderly or injured cut towards the front, bring waters and snacks for everybody, and just being super friendly.

7. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    CAC had their showcase yesterday...And you best believe we are coming into our 31st season HARD!
    Watch out for CAC STEEL in the medium junior coed 4 devison!

8. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
  9. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    ....NO
    .....NO
    ......NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    whyyyyy

10. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    A division all their own huh? Junior 4 can have males or females but is not considered co-ed.

11. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    One thing I'm glad they changed several years ago. Junior 3 and 4 used to get split into all girl/coed.

12. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    oh my bad...well medium junior 4 then!
    was not told that haha, totally my bad!
    DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT WE ARE READY!!!!! We are coming in hard and ready to take over that division!

13. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I just rediscovered this.

The Insane, Wonderful, Totally 2013 World of Celebrity Cheerleaders

It’s always fun seeing super feminist websites grapple with cheerleading. On the one hand, their knee-jerk reaction is to decry it as anti-feminist because reasons. But then they realise that crapping on a sport largely dominated by girls and women is a terrible look. This article is pretty generous toward cheer, but there are certainly some sentences that reveal the writer’s cognitive dissonance trying to resolve itself.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 6:28 PM
  14. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    <Sigh> if there is one thing I hope 2021 puts to rest are all of the labels. A couple of years ago a 12 year old came to the door asking if my kids would mind letting her borrow a bow, and when I asked "why" she said for soccer "no bow lesbo." What in the frick and frack have we done to our kids? Unfortunately, we have labeled people to the point there are thousands of boxes and no one seems to fit much of anywhere anymore. Hopefully, this is a sign that people are finally figuring out all these "labels" have created more division and anxiety than providing a security blanket of surrounding themselves with people they believe to look, act, and think just like them.

15. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    NO BOW LESBO. That exact same thing happened to my mom when she coached/taught at her school. Some softball players ran into her classroom and asked to borrow cheer bows for their game because “NO BOW LESBO!!!”

Kids are weird.