New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. RileyElizabeth99

RileyElizabeth99 I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot Worlds T-Shirt Designer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I am on the yearbook staff at my High School and this year I was even the editor in chief as well and presided over the whole book. In middle school our book was made by the Youth Service Center director (who also happened to be one of the cheer coaches) and it was a mess. There were captions missing on pictures and you could tell not much time went in to making it. However, once I began High School it was a different story. Yearbook is a full year class at my school and you have to be recommended by a teacher or apply for a spot on the staff. We create the theme, sell ads, deign layouts and take pictures for the book as well. Obviously there are still some small mistakes in the book but our supervisors are two amazing English teachers that devote a lot of time to the book and the staff. Our school has over 2,000 students and over 50 clubs and organizations and all of them are covered in detail. If you want some pictures of our book (Which I think is amazing!) shoot me a PM and I would be glad to share some with you.

However, not all High Schools are like this but most take the yearbook so much more seriously than middle schools do.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Nikki Moore

Nikki Moore I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    Nixxy311
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I've been trying to see if CPs HS has a YB class but haven't been able to see one. I doubt she would do it but it was such a fun thing to do. Glad to hear it might still be a thing. Maybe I was just lucky to have one for middle school too. Clearly it wasn't as well done as our high school one but the kids did mostly everything including the drawings and pictures and copy. I cringe when I read the copy I wrote back then though ;)

Do y'all do themed yearbooks?

3. TinyBlondie15

TinyBlondie15 I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    Kik:
    lolotires
    Twitter:
    lolotires
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    We had a yearbook club in MS that I was a part of because it was being over run by popular girls and I didn't want them to have JUST pictures of them and their friends in it. HS we had a class and you had to have taken up to AT LEAST Digital Art 2. Our yearbook theme in HS was always something to do with the ocean because we're a beach community.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Nikaa

Nikaa Slow your roll, Sparkle. Bracket Winner

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    I took Sorting hat test on Pottermore and I'm a Hufflepuff!

5. ErinS

ErinS Slow your roll, Sparkle. World Champion GIF Poster

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I took yearbook in high school. Hated it. We always had good yearbooks.

Now as a middle school librarian that literally had the yearbook forced upon me and got offered a little $500 stipend to split with my assistant, and no time to do it whatso ever on top of my other duties.....and in addition to the fact that we had to do the whole thing in MICROSOFT WORD, I think the whole thing came out fairly well. No I didn't spend time captioning pictures, but the whole thing is in color, we were able to sell it to the kids for $15 (we're a high poverty school) and it only cost $4.50 per book to print.

I ordered photoshop and surface pro tablets with my leftover money and I hope to have a yearbook club and photographer next year (they did buy us a new Canon Rebel) but I mean my passion isn't in yearbook making so, "we will see".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Eyes On The Prize

Eyes On The Prize Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    If your up-and-coming yearbook club ever gets more money, consider getting Adobe InDesign (a program in Adobe's Creative Suite along with Photoshop) - it will make creating the year book a million times easier compared to Photoshop.

ETA: I was in Yearbook in 9th grade as that-club-you-join-because-it-looks-good-on-your-college-application-to-be-involved-in-your-school-in-some-way club. I freaking hated it so much.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Gossip Gossip x 1
    • List
  7. alpaca

alpaca Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

Haha, for years my kids elementary school YB was always full of pictures of the popular kids too. Their moms would send in tons and tons of photos of them and I would see them on every page. This year, I was pleasantly surprised that I did not notice an abundance of photos of any one child or group of children. Whoever took over YB, really made an effort to represent all/most of the students.

8. CheerBank

CheerBank Slow your roll, Sparkle. National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I did the yearbook when my oldest was in K-2 (that is our primary school). We were very aware and careful of not repeating pictures of children. The person I took over for was very insistent on looking for those children who "do not readily catch the eye" and putting those more in the focus than the group of girls with arms linked and hamming it up for the camera.

MS yearbook is done by a club with an advisor. They do a good balance of representing all students and activities.

HS yearbook is also a club with an advisor. My oldest was the Features editor senior year after learning the ropes since her sophomore year. I felt they did a fantastic job but I was a little biased. ;)

I remember my college yearbook being a piece of crap that took almost almost a year after graduation to get. The editors were girls from my freshman year dorm who turned the entire publication into a photo album of them and their friends. I think I tossed it, I was so disgusted.

9. ErinS

ErinS Slow your roll, Sparkle. World Champion GIF Poster

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Will do. Thanks. We actually have a pretty decent budget (actually better than decent). I wish this discussion came up a week ago when I was trying to spend 10k by May 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Adrirocks

Adrirocks I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    It's okay lol I'm young and up until last month I though finsta was some sort of instagram knock off app. :confused:

11. Adrirocks

Adrirocks I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    My high school had nice year books. We had a year-book committee and our broadcast department has been best in the state for years now. Middle school was a pretty average soft cover but there was still effort put into it. I think yearbook was an elective but I can't remember. Not sure how my sister's hs does things but her freshman year yearbook was pretty nice with a cute theme.

12. gofriars610

gofriars610 Moderator Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I am a journo, yeah. I think it's fine for people to have a protected instagram and a public instagram, (like if I were planning a wedding or something) but I just have the one account.

13. cheerisloving

cheerisloving I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I don't know who did our elementary school yearbook but it was pretty diverse in who was in it and who wasn't.

My high school yearbook actually kept track of who was on what page in the back. Obviously the more clubs/sports you did the more you were in it, but I know my friend who was the editor for two years, worked hard to make sure people were not in it too much, even if they were her friends.

I like to think they were pretty good once they switched from a less enthusiastic teacher to one with more umph

14. Official OWECheer

Official OWECheer Most likely to post anywhere

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    OWECheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Just heard about the Ariana Grande concert explosion. Horrified. I feel awful for all of the victims and their families, and can't imagine the guilt she must feel knowing that it happened at her concert. :(

15. Alexx

Alexx Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    Alex_Downey
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I saw it on the news at the gym and my heart dropped. I go to so many concerts and so do friends. Music is a safe place for many people and its becoming dangerous to go to concerts.