New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. cheerKT

cheerKT Best Overall Poster Fantasy Football Winner

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    ktguen
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Now accepting any and all crate training tips. I've read lots on the internet and from close friends, I would like to hear specific things that have worked for you. I got a new pup on Sunday and am currently crate training him in an apartment (so, close neighbors). I work 8 hours a day but go home to visit/play every day at lunch.

I have him in the crate at night until he is housebroken. I would like him in the bed with me eventually, but I need him 1. not peeing everywhere 2. a little bigger first and 3. less likely fall off the bed. He's pretty small right now. I have the crate in my room with a blanket over the sides, a couple toys and one of my teeshirts for smell. He seems to do ok in it when he is tired, but when he wakes up and realizes he's alone he whines. (I think he was sleeping in the crate with his mom prior to coming to live with me.)

Any tips and tricks for crate training or house breaking that worked for you would be great!

2. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    You need to post a picture of Frank!
    He's probably going to whine for several nights (sorry!). We have our pup crated downstairs so we only heard him a little when he first came home, within about a week he was quiet from the minute he goes in his crate until we take him out. Do you have a fan or white noise machine that can help drown out noise (his whining and anything that could wake him up)? Also, I never got up with him during the night - I have a large crate with his blanket on one side and a pad on the other. It really wasn't long before he made it through the night without using the pads. I got up with my terrier and she still gets up during the night 11 years later, so I didn't want this pup to get in to the same habit.
    I'm actually a terrible dog owner - they run my life, so I'm probably not the best person to give advice lol.

3. cheerKT

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    ktguen
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I sleep with a white noise maker so I've taken to turning it up a little for him at night too. I also Amazon Primed a loudly ticking clock as I've heard that helps. When he's actually tired he goes right to sleep so I don't think it will be long until he is quiet all night. The only reason I've taken him out it so he won't get loud and wake the neighbors (our walls are SUPER thin, like I can hear full conversations and what they are watching on TV.) I've started sitting beside him a little bit until he closes his eyes and then he usually lets me get up and hop into bed.

We had him our living room and that's eventually where I would like him to be during the day, but it's hardwoods and his yelping was echoing and freaking him out more, causing him to get louder. I definitely don't want him having to go in the middle of the night forever either, since in an apartment that involves a leash, elevator and potentially having to be seen in public lol. Hopefully it's a short adjustment period. Going to get some tips from the vet on Friday as well.

And for those wanting pics you can see him on my instagram here :) Katie Guenther (@ktguen) • Instagram photos and videos

4. CheerBank

CheerBank Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    He is adorable! I have 2 pups who are 13 months now, and I still crate them at night and when we go out because even though they are house trained for the most part, I find I sleep better when they’re crated. I’m lucky that they sleep great in it, and I didn’t have the whining issue because they always had each other.

5. shootingstarsfan

shootingstarsfan I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    We got a snuggle puppy for our pup! It’s a stuffed dog with a heartbeat on the inside. Our puppy still sleeps with it! We also have a dog walker and she walks him for almost 2 hours. He’s always tired at the end of the day because he had such a long walk mid day!

6. justcheering

justcheering Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I unfortunately don't have any tips but omgggg he is so cute!! If he ever gets his own Instagram please drop a link ;) He would get all the likes lol

7. cheerKT

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    ktguen
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    hahaha I considered making him one, but then I got jealous of all the likes he would get and decided to keep them for myself on my own page :shaka:

I might make him one one day but feel free to follow mine! I'm sure he'll take over soon enough.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. cfwp.cheerleader

cfwp.cheerleader Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    As she gets older (in a couple weeks time), leaving her in a crate all night and do your best to avoid whining. Its how we potty trained to be honest. Dogs don't want to sleep where they do their business. So they will learn quickly that they have to hold it until given the opportunity to go outside.
    To help, we lifted her water bowl & food at 8:00pm, and then took her out for a pee right before bed time. Hyper praise when she goes to the bathroom properly & be consistent with "go pee" or what ever command you choose to go to the bathroom. That way she knows that this is her opportunity otherwise it will be a long uncomfortable night.

9. cheerKT

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    ktguen
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Last night was our worst night yet of crate training. I think he is getting used to me responding to him as he gets louder, so I'm really going to have to nip that in the bud. I only get up to avoid him waking up my neighbor (again, thin walls) but tonight he may just have to be in the living room. Problem is, he echos a little in there due to hardwoods so you can kind of hear him in our hallways. Plus the echo freaks him out more. Hopefully a blanket over the crate can muffle that somewhat. BUT, it keeps me from having to quiet him down each time he riles up. Bonus: Maybe I'll get more than 4 hours of broken sleep tonight lol.

Tonight and the foreseeable future I'll probably let him out once to go pee just because he's so young, but I'll definitely eliminate that going forward.

10. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Can you put a thick blanket under the crate to help with the echo? Good luck!

11. cheerKT

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    ktguen
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Good idea! My separation anxiety is already kicking in about having him in another room but I think it's going to end up for the best.

12. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    @cheerKT

Not sure if you're still crate training Frank. We had Haze whining for WEEKS and nothing stopped her. Bless the hound part of her for that.... She just eventually stopped, but we're in a house and that's totally different. Once she was going through the night and not peeing we just let her be free. She hasn't been kennelled at all in the last year. She just doesn't wreck things. We're incredibly lucky!

For the peeing, we took away water about 2 hours before bed. We took her outside as often as we could and gave kibbles as treats ever time she peed. When we'd catch her inside starting (squatting, or doing the pacing thing she *still* does before she does any business) we scooped her up and put her outside, gave her command "do your business" and when she did, she got all the excitement, love, kibble and praise that we could muster. Shes now almost 2 and holds it forever. The other day it was 14 hours. The 10 I was at work plus 2 hours of lounging in the yard before remembering that she has a bladder. Shes also *huge* (105 lbs) which I think helps in the pee department.

13. cheerKT

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    ktguen
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    We are still crating! He is gotten much better at night since the move to the living room. He goes in around 11 p.m. on week nights and doesn't usually whine (I try to keep him up and active as much as possible before winding down around 10:30-10:45) and usually wakes up between 6 - 7 a.m. Occasionally he will wake up in the middle of the night and I will let him use the pee pad. Apartment living makes it like a 10 minutes ordeal to attach the leash, down the elevator and out to the grass and I don't want to wake him up that much. If he doesn't wake up but I do, I'll still try to let him pee once so he will stay in later. Ideally I'd like him to stay in until around 7:30 each morning since I don't have to leave for work until around 8 but we're slowly getting there.

He still cries when I leave him for work, but I'm home every day for lunch so he's usually only in there for 4 hour periods. He's peeing every time I let him out and pooping outside at least once a day. Unfortunately he's still peeing occasionally inside and pooping inside probably once a day too. BUT he is still only 11 weeks and I have to remind myself he's doing pretty well for being home less than two weeks!

I'm taking him to my mom's house for the long weekend this weekend and she has a fenced in yard. I am so excited for him to finally get to run around off leash! He's adjusting to being a city pup but everyone needs a little free run time occasionally! Will report on how my moms mean chihuahua/rat terrier mix responds but my inclination is not well :rolleyes:

14. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My in-laws 12 lb lhasa Apso cross thing *hates* Haze. Lexi flies at Haze's face at least 4 times a visit, and Haze just looks scared and jumps away. This weekend it happened, and I guess our pup had finally had enough and just let loose one loud big dog bark in Lexi's face and that was it. No issues for the nest 3 days. I guess they really do just have to stand up to bullies!

Is there a dog park close to you where he could run around a bit? They're great for socialization. If you can afford it, doing a puppy obedience class is so worth it! We did a couple levels with Haze and then kept working on it at home. Dachshunds are smart so he'll pick it all up fast!

ETA- Haze still cries and barks when we leave. No idea for how long, but I think they just like their people and don't want us to go. It's hard for us because my husband is home during the day 6/8 days because of his shifts so she's extra needy when we both leave for a day!

15. CheerBank

CheerBank Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    @cheerKT Ask your vet before you take Frank to a dog park or to hang with other dogs. They usually say to wait until they’ve started their last series of shots.