New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. RobinSparkles

RobinSparkles Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    _robin_sparkles
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Definitely look in a grocery store that has a decently large 'natural foods' section. I have noticed that Wal Mart has their own brand of gluten free pasta. Noodles made from vegetables (zucchini, beets, butternut squash) are also becoming popular, so that's another option.
    (If you go looking for blogs about gluten free cooking, I would recommend NOT reading Gluten Free Girl. I've heard nothing but bad things about her cookbooks.)

2. Adrirocks

Adrirocks Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I really like Udi's! And I do a lot of baking with coconut and almond flour now. I've had trouble with GF pasta. Rice pasta is okay but doesn't taste like the real thing I'm trying a new brand of GF pasta this week if it's good I'll let you know. I have a gluten sensitivity that was just diagnosed so I'm also in the process of finding good products.

3. tuckxandxtwist

tuckxandxtwist Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I have also had problems with most GF pasta (except Spaghetti--I'll have to look at the brand tomorrow when I get home and can check my pantry because I didn't even realize it was GF until I went to make more!), because it always just ends up turning to mush.

If you start eating a lot of GF breads, just be mindful that the sugar content is usually a lot higher. And, when I first tried to bake with coconut(?) flour, I ended up dumping in way too much butter to try and make it more doughy/less dry, that it was definitely not healthy lol. I've gotten a little better at figuring substitutions out, but it definitely takes some experimenting.

If you have Giant/Martins, they have awesome GF bagels. I actually prefer them over Udis. They're branded Nature's Promise, but I'm not sure if you can get them anywhere but those grocery stores/how nation-wide they are. They also don't come frozen, which I think is a big reason I prefer them, but they mold pretty quickly.

4. Adrirocks

Adrirocks Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Thanks for the tip! I don't have Giant but maybe my parents do!

5. tuckxandxtwist

tuckxandxtwist Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I finally remembered to look in my pantry...the spaghetti brand is Ronzoni. I'm sure they have other pastas, but they are definitely the best GF spaghetti noodles I've found!

@TealShades

6. cheer9497

cheer9497 I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be) National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    kathysagehorn
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Ronzoni brand is very good. If you have Aldi grocery stores nearby - they have a good gluten free selection of packaged items (crackers, etc).

7. dat.jpp

dat.jpp I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    So I was looking up cheerleading careers for my project (check in the allstar thread) and I came across this assocation/federation called Champion Force Athletics? Are they like an off-brand of USASF? Never heard of them before and got interested to dig more into what they are because I'm really confused about what it actually is.

8. ScottyB

ScottyB There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Probably is a similar org to the NASC which is a 'group' under USA Cheer that doesn't actually exist. It exists on paper to give uca and nca a stronger positioning on the Board and for voting. Shameful.

Wouldn't be surprised if Champion Force Athletics is like that too. I haven't ever heard of it personally, but also haven't gone looking for it.

9. dat.jpp

dat.jpp I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    They follow USASF rules. There's videos of it, it's just really confusing. I think it's a very cheap knock-off of USASF...:confused:

10. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    so in random news i may have pissed off an alabama alum, sports writer on twitter who was talking crap about us, by telling him our UCF mini horse would take a dump on their field and team....

he didnt take it to well, but it got me 1k in likes, so ill take it..

#impetty #goknights

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  11. DonnaM

DonnaM Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Champion Force is competitive rec, part of NYAA. It used to be called Young Champions. Levels 1-3 are level 1 with limited tumbling for different ages (level 1and 2 are completely non-tumbling, level 3 adds rolls and cartwheels and bridges), no tryout. Levels 4-8 are equivalent to All Star 1-4, tryout required. No team is allowed to practice more than 1 hour/week for levels 1-4 and 2 for 5+. Some programs have separate tumbling classes, but usually it comes down to “learn it on your own”. Coaches do have to do USASF safety training, and are supposed to have cheer experience. Coaching, IME, ranges from great to awful. One problem is that since coaches are paid so little, it seems to be hard to keep good ones. At least in our area, the management also seems to follow a “customer is always right” motto, to the point that coaches can lose their jobs just due to a parent complaint without any real followup. Competitions are just CF teams- regionals, top 3-4 get a bid to state, and levels 4+ (I think 3+ now) can get a bid to Nationals. All teams at the same level wear the same uniform until level 7,when they can finally choose to design their own, so the only difference is bows (and sometimes socks). The routine is 2 minutes 30 seconds, and must include a cheer. Levels 1-4 have to use poms for at least part of the routine, and other props are allowed.

CP did it for several years, and moved to All Star after level 4-largely because she had started to get pressured to get tumbling skills, went to an all star gym to tumble, and after being in that gym, decided she liked it better, both because of the higher level coaching and just plain that there were more teens there, because her team was basically “everyone who can throw a walkover however bad”-regardless of age.

I don’t regret starting there-it was a LOT less expensive. But CP feels it was a waste of time since she basically came in with decent jumps, positions, and the ability to count to 8-but not much else that didn’t have to be relearned the All Star way.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List