New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I have always despised the release rule. It's one way - coaches can kick a kid off a team even after 100% of the season is paid for, coaches can leave gyms mid season, gym owners can pull teams from competitions with no refunds. Years ago there was an athlete on a level 5 team that hadn't yet competed and her coach asked her to fill in on a level 4 team at a competition, and then a week later the gym owner scrapped the level 5 team and wouldn't release the athlete. That was malicious on the gym owner's part and no athlete should be held hostage to a gym when they have been removed from a team.
    The particular situation that has played out on social media is a bit different, but at the end of the day the team won NCA and clearly doesn't need the athlete, and the gym has removed several athletes from teams mid season for the sole reason of replacing them with "better" athletes, so I can see why this particular athlete was concerned once her role changed. The post from the coach was petty and did nothing to defend the gym's position IMO.
    These kids aren't professionals, they aren't on scholarships - they are paying customers. There are very few situations where a kid just up and quits for no reason. Let them be.

2. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I am not commenting on this specific situation, but think the wording of the release is interesting. Most people don't realize you need a release regardless of the level you competed at. You even need a release if you exhibitioned.

"USASF CHEER PROGRAM RELEASE WAIVER 2019 All athletes participating on a team at The 2019 Cheerleading Worlds must be a registered member of that team’s program during the 2018-2019 competition season. Any athlete that has exhibitioned or competed on the floor with a team in any level from a program (Primary Program) during The Cheerleading Worlds competition season (November 1, 2018 – May 1, 2019) will have to have a USASF Program Release Waiver signed by the owner of the Primary Program before that athlete is eligible to compete with another program (Secondary Program) at The 2019 Cheerleading Worlds."

https://higherlogicdownload.s3.amaz...USASF_Worlds_Cheer_Program-Release-Waiver.pdf

3. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach

Not sure of the exact situation but I have seen this discussion on the boards about gyms pulling and replacing kids at will.

I am all about kids fulfilling their season if possible.

However, you can't (example) pull Suzie from the air in all stunts, make her a tumbling nugget, and expect her to want to stay (and also not allow her to go elsewhere.)

4. CLynn

CLynn I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Expect her to want to stay no? Not allow her to go elsewhere for the rest of the year? That is pretty much what we sign up for when we commit to a program, like it or not. Now I don't know why they would want that athlete hanging around, but you never know.

5. quitthedrama

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I would be ok with this if the program committed to the athlete, but that is happening less and less these days.

6. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I don't have equivalent experiences because in school cheer world, kids can't really quit schools, immediately go to another, and cheer there midseason.

But I have had to make some really tough decisions to pull kids from different spots in the past.

Reactions varied but I always tried to make sure that kids knew it was coming. In most cases, it was a long time coming and the kid/parent were made aware in advance and in a way that didn't hurt their feelings. Also making sure that they were win/win situations because moving a kid suddenly to something they are not prepared for is going to be a lose/lose for both parties.

Changes made and how they're handled reflect on you and your organization far more than they reflect on kids - who are kids. We expect drama from kids. Not adults.

You should never handle a change in such a way that you have to take to social media and defend yourself.

7. Charolais

Charolais I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I disagree. There is a waiver process to permit an athlete to go to a different program. Granting the waiver is at the gym’s discretion. Unfortunately, the way this situation is playing out on social media casts the program in a negative light. The gym owner should step up and quash this beef.

8. CLynn

CLynn I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Well yes. What I am suggesting is that if the program chooses not to release the athlete that is the rule, like it or not, and it is known at the beginning of the year. I don't really know both sides of this specific case to comment on why they won't as I agree it would seem to be in everyones best interest to generally agree to the release.

edited to add, I've mentioned in other posts that an arbitrator or board would seem a good next step if there seems to be circumstances that are truly unacceptable for the athlete.

9. Charolais

Charolais I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I understand and agree the gym has the final say so. I don’t think a situation like this calls for mediation or arbitration - just good husiness sense on the part of the gym and acting in the best interest of the athlete for the parents. In the instant case, there is a recording of the meeting where the athlete was told why the gym would not grant a waiver. Petty.

10. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    New York Giants do you enjoy sucking at football?!? Cause now we officially suck at football... :banghead:

11. JerseyGirl112

JerseyGirl112 I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I got back to my office and every single guy was in a bad mood. Now I know why lmao

12. UCFKnights07

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I mean OBJ wasnt gonna be able to save the giants anyways unless they made some amazing trades but giving him away isnt gonna help us at all either.

13. quitthedrama

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Join the Browns bandwagon! You'll have to do something because you're right - I think the Giants glory days are officially over.

14. UCFKnights07

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    This did make me laugh though this morning.

15. CheerBank

CheerBank Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I'm so sad. We loved OBJ. I am still in a state of WTF right now.