New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. CheerBank

CheerBank Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I don't know if I can take it. I have heard it is heartbreaking over and over and over.

2. Ally13

Ally13 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Anybody live in the Chicago area and have advice on finding apartments/neighborhoods? I’m moving there this summer!

on an unrelated note, I started watching Cheer and the Butlers give me odd vibes lol. When Gabi’s sister was telling her to post pics with the captions it made me feel like her family only looks at her as a money making opportunity. Obviously I dont know the full story, but from what I’ve seen on the show... odd vibes lol.

3. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Oh we have a WHOLE thread dedicated to it under college cheer. Lots of people agree with you lol.

4. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    They still haven't discontinued my Varsity account even though I cancelled. With any luck this'll continue all the way to Worlds.

Sorry I don't mean to keep bringing it up but this is maybe the biggest crime caper I've ever pulled off. And I'm not sorry I'M NOT SORRY.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • List
  5. DancerDude0118

DancerDude0118 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    The Most Populated Timezone on the Planet
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    I’m seeing tweets that many European countries have either cancelled or postponed their national cheerleading competitions because of the outbreak.

I wonder if that means we’ll be seeing far fewer national teams at ICU Worlds this year.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  6. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    There’s been speculation about them cancelling Worlds, but frankly I don’t think it’s necessary.

That’s not to say Worlds WON’T be cancelled, but I don’t think it should be.

Personally, I think this has been a touch overblown. The people dying from COVID are people who would’ve had trouble fighting off the flu anyway: older folks, and/or those with compromised immune systems. Healthy, young athletes are not the susceptible demographic. I understand the desire to prevent kids from getting sick, but I don’t think cancelling Worlds is the answer. Ultimately we’re dealing with a very manageable, treatable virus. Plus cases are already subsiding in Korea and China. I think by Worlds this’ll be far behind us.

7. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    The idea that Var$ity would cancel one of their biggest cash cows is laughable.

They may be concerned, but they're not THAT concerned.

They'll set up mobile ICUs with ventilators and o2 allowed on the mat before they cancel Worlds, Summit, UCA, etc.

8. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I don't even see INDIVIDUAL GYMS pulling from it.

It would take a case of COVID19 LITERALLY IN THE GYM for any owner to consider that.

I feel like parents would revolt.

9. tuckxandxtwist

tuckxandxtwist Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    The thing is though, those healthy athletes can still carry the disease home to their elderly or immunocompromised family members. Yes, they’re saying children don’t seem to be exhibiting symptoms, but they are still under the impression that children absolutely are carriers.

I 100% think this whole thing is being incredibly overblown. That being said, I definitely don’t believe it’s something to “brush off.” I just had a remicade infusion on Friday for an autoimmune disease. I essentially have no immune system for a few weeks due to the infusion. Am I concerned about who I’m being exposed to, and who they have been exposed to? A little, but I’m also in a rural area. Am I a little hesitant about the flight to Worlds that I booked a month ago before this got to this point? Slightly more so, especially since I just did the math when scheduling my next infusion and wiping out my immune system again less than 2 weeks after returning from Worlds and whatever I may be exposed to. Granted, I’m a just a spectator, so me not going only affects myself. But if I was a competitor, I’d be stressing a little more because of the potential ramifications of letting others down by not going if the risk becomes greater.

Just another perspective from someone who, generally otherwise would be “healthy.” I HAVE to get the flu shot every year, and they actually made me get the pneumonia shot this year. I’m not even 30, and it generally isn’t even discussed until you’re in your 60s (or immunocompromised). I don’t have the ability to get a vaccine for this (yet), so there is much less prevention to fall back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. alpaca

alpaca Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I believe that the choice to have Worlds/Summit will be taken away from Varsity/Disney. I think that in the coming days to weeks, the state of FL will make sweeping restrictions on travel and large scale gatherings.

I hope I am wrong, but if these events are in fact cancelled, I would worry about what Varsity will do next year to claw that money back.

11. HeatUniqueJ

HeatUniqueJ Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    It happened to us last night
    We got a call that one athlete has tested positive for Covid
    Now there are no practices allowed for 2 weeks , our entire gym might actually get shut down (not only cheer but all other sports aswell)
    Couple people have to stay home from work for this week
    It’s a big mess quite frankly

they just pushed back our nationals to June

Everyone is super worried about Worlds aswell

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yes. Some pretty significant social isolation is happening already. San Francisco banned events holding more than 1,000 people. The Ivy league canceled all athletic events through remainder of spring. Many colleges switching to online learning. including all of Ohio. The NCAA just announced both men and women's basketball tournaments will be held without any fans. Even if Disney were to stay open, holding Worlds/Summit without spectators would not be feasible as the athletes would still need to travel there and the event would lose enormous amounts of money without admissions and concessions.

13. kristenthegreat

kristenthegreat Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I'm delightful! Keeping myself busy and trying to keep distractions to a minimum but I do miss y'all. Hope you're all doing well yourselves. If NYC ends up in quarantine I'll have all the time to watch everything.
    Hi hi. I'll add it to the list!

14. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
  15. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Basically my job right now....