New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My dad is a mod for a college alumni site that keeps seeing lots of personal attacks, profanity, etc. It’s a huge school — big on the college football scene — and so this all looks bad for the brand as well as him personally. Any tips I can tell him to avoid this in the future? Because this board, despite the occasional kerfuffle, is probably the most civilized one I know of. This despite the fact that most of us don’t know each other in our real lives, and probably could say whatever we wanted without repercussion (the people on the alumni page have their names attached to their outbursts). And yet, we’re all pretty chill.

I gather that it’s self-policing that accomplishes this here, but what else?

2. JerseyGirl112

JerseyGirl112 I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I cant really offer perspective on how the board self regulates, but I do have experience as a mod for a few friends that stream on twitch. I'd say making the rules clear and enforcing them overtly the easiest way to maintain civil discourse It's never fun to bring down the 'ban hammer' but it gets the point across, and doing so every time it occurs makes it clear that the behavior is never welcome. Essentially, if the people in chat know that a mod who means business is watching, then they behave.

3. MyGirlCheers

MyGirlCheers I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    ^^^^ This. Plus on the board I admin, we ended up setting up a separate section only available to members with a certain number of posts (to prevent sock puppet accounts being created just to further the pot stirring) where debates, contentious topics, etc. can be a little more loosely moderated. We still enforce no personal attacks and enforce what happens there stays there and isn’t allowed to be brought into the other parts of the board. It’s working pretty well.

4. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I don’t think he knew what he was getting into lol. He can’t do anything without pissing someone off. He tries to enforce a no profanity rule, and people argue that’s a freedom of speech issue (Lol no). He tries to make the site strictly for alumni only (which is literally the only group of people the site is designed to cater to), and people argue that’s elitist. There’s always someone who’s mad about something. He likes doing it now that he’s retired, but it definitely can be exhausting.

5. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    My gym is opening in early July with social distancing guidelines in place!! So excited!

6. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    find out my team today! I'm so nervous...Wish me luck!

7. Cheer Dad

Cheer Dad Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I miss all the shimmy/emojis we have on the boards. Just not an option using the Tapatalk app.

If people argue with your dad about the rules, ie profanity is freedom of speech, have him remind them of the rules set forth and if they want to argue it then find a different board to be a part of. If they continue then boot their asses.

my CP is my favorite son.

8. Cheer Dad

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I miss all the shimmy/emojis we have on the boards. Just not an option using the Tapatalk app.

If people argue with your dad about the rules, ie profanity is freedom of speech, have him remind them of the rules set forth and if they want to argue it then find a different board to be a part of. If they continue then boot their asses.

9. Cheer Dad

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

If people argue with your dad about the rules, ie profanity is freedom of speech, have him remind them of the rules set forth and if they want to argue it then find a different board to be a part of. If they continue then boot their butts.

10. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Yall, I made Our small junior coed 4. and our senior medium coed 4/5. $/5 means by choreography camp we will pick if we are competing level 4 or 5. I'm so happy!

11. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
  12. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Wow. That was a pretty heavy article. Something I’m sure a lot of young cheerleaders will relate to in some way, shape or form.