New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Yeah their hammy performance styles and great angles are also similar. God help us if that kid decides she wants to sing. We’d have a Britney 2.0 on our hands.

2. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    She was getting a following for sure before the meme, but when that went viral my daughter's non-cheer friends suddenly got a glimpse of the cheer world and were like wow you know _____? Somewhat similar to what happened with Cheer on Netflix, but obviously to a much smaller scale.

3. dat.jpp

dat.jpp Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I found out about her and Thames that same weekend, never heard of them before SOH 2018.

4. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Do you guys ever see stuff on IG that bothers you and you want to do something about it except it’s totally not your place? But also not doing something also feels almost cruel?

Case in point: there’s a popular cheerleader out there who I’m pretty sure has an eating disorder. She’s an adult but I won’t name her. And she’s so thin, you guys. It almost hurts me to look at her. She looks childlike. Of course my first reaction was, Hey, she’s a gifted athlete in (what appears to be) an ectomorph’s body... of course she’s thin. But after seeing her pop up in my suggestions more frequently, I don’t see how an adult woman could possibly look like that and be getting enough to eat.

My knee jerk reaction is to say something like I would my own cheerleaders, but this girl is a complete stranger to me so that would be completely inappropriate and intrusive. So do you just not say anything and hope you’re wrong? Or just hope that everything turns out okay? I really want to know. It feels totally out of line to say something, but it also feels irresponsible not to? IDK.

ETA: we’re discussing this topic in the DM’s if you want to hop in.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  5. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    IMO, if it had been any other team that she was/is on, she would not have gained this kind of popularity. SE has always been a powerhouse and well-known, but they hadn’t/haven’t won worlds in years, and besides for CSP’s daughter, they had no ‘cheerlebrity’ level athletes(and even including her, she was known because she’s CSP’s). The meme came at a prime time for her to be a breakout star in the cheer world and bring lots of attention with her, if she had the skill, which she does. Any other team would’ve had well-known athletes, and titles that would’ve grouped her with the rest. Tack on SE’s recent winning streak the past few seasons, and you’ve not got a recipe for social media fame.

6. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Hmm, interesting. I follow lots of SE stuff so I’m pretty inundated with fan pages and the like. And give what you’ve said, it’s very interesting why she and SE have the following they do given their record of losses. Plus, when push comes to shove, RC isn’t the athletic prodigy her fans make her out to be. She’s great, but if, for example, Angel Rice is an honest to goodness actual prodigy — and I think she is — then RC isn’t.

So what gives? Why does she have this following? I think it’s because RC is “total package” material. There are more flexible girls out there, but they don’t have the showmanship. Those that do have better showmanship don’t have the athleticism. Those that have the athleticism don’t have the flexibility. And so on and so on.

Plus I’m just going to say what no one really acknowledges but that I think is a pretty obvious factor in her fandom: I think kids really respond to her look. For better and worse.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  7. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Yup, ditto to all of it.

To my memory, SE wasn’t really a notable team after ~2014 or so until RC came into the game and blew up on social media. And you’re right; what teenage or little girl won’t love a pretty blonde, very tall, very skinny cheerleader who has adoring fans, high profile friends(namely KP), and a fair amount of talent. You’ve got what every little allstar cheerleader wants, and the stereotypical beauty standard for women all in one. It’s not wrong to say that she gets by partly on her looks.

8. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I try not to comment on kids’ looks, but I think objectively speaking we can all admit she’s gorgeous. She’s got the build of a runway model and a bone structure that won’t take a bad picture. For that reason alone I can see how kids respond to her, one way or another.

9. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Is anyone else curious if Wanda Holloway’s daughter was actually good at cheer?

10. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I mean, she had to be at least decent.

She cheered on the same teams as the Heath girl up through youth football and middle school, right? And I am sure that Texas town is probably one where youth football cheer is a tryout, not just a sign up.

11. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
  12. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    The story goes they trained at the same gymnastics center, but Shanna never made a cheer team before or after the murder for hire. Wanda was convinced it was the presence of her “rival” Heath that was keeping Shanna off teams. But one wonders that it if Shanna was hands down good enough, then the presence of a single girl wouldn’t be enough to repeatedly keep her off teams.

So either Shanna wasn’t good enough and Wanda was looking for a scapegoat, or she was good enough but the presence of the Heaths really was keeping her off teams (possibly through “team mom” politicking and the like). In which case, I get Wanda’s frustration. I mean obviously she shouldn’t have tried to murder a woman and her child, but I get it.

13. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach

Very rarely does any tryout come down to "one more spot and oh wow 2 more kids."

If someone perceived ONE kid to be the reason their kid didn't make a team/get a spot, they need a therapist.

If you've ever met someone who fixated on one kid in an activity (or a small group of kids at an activity) being the reason their kid didn't make a team or get a preferred spot, you know that they are usually batshxt crazy.

Maybe not to the point of murder but if you've been in sports or activities long enough, you've met that person:

*Knows exactly how many practices that center flyer (who she perceives as taking a spot from her kid) has missed during summer.
    *Can tell you exactly how many home runs the pitcher who replaced her daughter gave up last softball game.
    *Can tell you exactly how many hours of extra ballet that soloist is taking in comparison to her own child who didn't get a solo.
    *Is convinced that if that new girl hadn't transferred in, their daughter would be playing Varsity volleyball instead of JV.

These people are not just frustrated. They (like Wanda) are perservating and need therapy.

14. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    It’s such a weird story. I have so many questions that will probably never be answered. I want to know if the tryout process was legit or more of a popularity contest (like the students voted or whatever). I want to know if the eighth grade cheer program Wanda was focused on was actually competitive and had preteens throwing fulls, or if it was more like a sideline team. So many questions.

I just read the article provided in this thread and it does shed some light: most notably it says that Shanna hated cheer. I think that’s the answer as to why she was never very successful. You can throw all the training in the world at a kid, but if they’re not interested then nothing will stick. I‘m assuming that attitude probably translated at tryouts.

Add to this that the Heaths were neighbors with the Holloways, and Wanda’s fixation in them makes a little more sense. Especially if Wanda felt that Shanna’s skills were comparable to Amber Heath’s (whether that was accurate or not) and yet she still had to watch her daughter get cut while the neighbor’s kid brought home trophies.

Such a bizarre story. I get so caught up in the cheer element that I often forget that the murder plot didn’t even make a lick of sense. She thought she’d kill the mom and just hope that the daughter would be so grief-stricken that she’d quit the cheer team? And then just hope that the coach would bring Shanna up to replace her? That’s just... a lot of risk for a payoff that’s not even close to guaranteed. Therapy indeed.

15. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach

The only thing I remember about the MS tryout in question (from a 20/20 ep I saw) was that there was a student body vote and Holloway got her kid disqualfied because she made some campaign things for her that were prohibited.

Like, you could only make signs and the mom made custom rulers or something.

(Think Homecoming Court or Student Council campaigns. Our students can hand out candy and make signs but nothing else.)

Someone can google it and fact check but I don't actually think the result from middle school had anything to do with the other athletes or the kid's skills.