All-Star New Rules Reflection-james Speed

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 1, 2010
I've read all the rules changes, I understand them and I have listened to all sides.The one person in the industry who has always been the most inspiring and instrumental to me has been James Speed. James is the one person I turn to in difficult situations because he has so much wisdom and knowledge. He has seen so much from this industry though his years. James doesn't do Social Media and isn't quite there yet with all the Facebook, Twitter and Fierce Boards. He did however express his thoughts through an email about the rule changes. I couldn't have worded this any better...

I have to say after really considering the new rule changes that I feel the Board has listened to the concerns of the majority while still trying to effect a positive change in direction for the Sport of Cheerleading. I feel the compromise is a very positive sign for the future. I hate giving up any skills and I feel my teams have afforded a particular advantage under the current rules structure. I do feel in moving forward that the changes in certain rules will only serve to stimulate creativity instead of relying only on difficulty to decide who is given a chance to participate. When the rules were changed for college I thought that my college teams would be put into the same box with all other teams. I felt I had lost the advantage... In reality good teams and good coaches always find a way to be good. The new changes should be looked at as opportunities for growth. Those who embrace the changes and learn to use them to create opportunity will not only survive but grow stronger..... Don't get caught up in negative distractions that only cloud the overall goals of every gym to be successful on the competition floor, safely train our athletes, and run a successful business.....

James Speed
Head Coach University of Louisville
Owner / Coach GymTyme AllStars

It is really good to hear from someone who is sort of part of the board (he doesn't get a vote does he?) and get to hear their take on it and how they plan on handling the new rules. Seeing as how he has some of the best tumblers in the US coming to be part of his teams you could imagine the new rules would impact his gym. He went through it with the college changes and has still come out on top so it is proof that with changes you can still make it work and come out on top.

I've read all the rules changes, I understand them and I have listened to all sides.The one person in the industry who has always been the most inspiring and instrumental to me has been James Speed. James is the one person I turn to in difficult situations because he has so much wisdom and knowledge. He has seen so much from this industry though his years. James doesn't do Social Media and isn't quite there yet with all the Facebook, Twitter and Fierce Boards. He did however express his thoughts through an email about the rule changes. I couldn't have worded this any better...

I have to say after really considering the new rule changes that I feel the Board has listened to the concerns of the majority while still trying to effect a positive change in direction for the Sport of Cheerleading. I feel the compromise is a very positive sign for the future. I hate giving up any skills and I feel my teams have afforded a particular advantage under the current rules structure. I do feel in moving forward that the changes in certain rules will only serve to stimulate creativity instead of relying only on difficulty to decide who is given a chance to participate. When the rules were changed for college I thought that my college teams would be put into the same box with all other teams. I felt I had lost the advantage... In reality good teams and good coaches always find a way to be good. The new changes should be looked at as opportunities for growth. Those who embrace the changes and learn to use them to create opportunity will not only survive but grow stronger..... Don't get caught up in negative distractions that only cloud the overall goals of every gym to be successful on the competition floor, safely train our athletes, and run a successful business.....
James Speed
Head Coach University of Louisville
Owner / Coach GymTyme AllStars
So very well said. Thank you for sharing!!!!

I remember when the rules changed for college, and now it's more of an aftersight. Louisville still continues to amaze me year after year because of their routines and sheer athleticism. I hope these new rules challenge all coaches to make their athletes the best (and safest) they can be.

I have an equal amount of respect for James...but on this I must respectfully disagree. Limiting an athletes ability in any sport to achieve their personal best is wrong.
What the USASF Board has done is begin the process of turning our democratic process into what will be a small few deciding what is right and wrong for all of us. In the end our sport will continue because of the dedication and love of the coaches and athletes, we will find and perfect new skills...but what is to stop the USASF from taking those away too???

Additionally we will change our "Image" to try and make those outside us "respect" us by eliminating bows, and lengthening uniforms, and conforming to someones standards...but what happens when that's not enough???

By doing these things we only serve to ultimately loose ourselves and surrender something that we all love....

at the end of the day before these rules were first released. USASF gives the option of voting on these rules. and there's a numerous amount of gym's, coaches, gym owners that didn't vote who had a say in this. although i disagree with some of the stuff that was implemented for the new rules. the people who turn and say its USASF's fault its not really true. US AS COACHES, GYM OWNERS had the choice to vote on it and a lot didn't and when these rules came out the first people freaking out are the ones that voted.

I ADVICE everyone to vote on changes like this to prevent a huge up roar like this in the future.

people hate USASF right now only because they were the ones to put the rules out. if someone else put them out everyone would be on their "ARSE" (for better wording)

im not on the USASF board and no where near close to being on it. But i think this would be the correct place to post how i kind of feel on this issue. All these rules are being implemented based on US (again) AS COACHES. so we just need to train our Athletes and teach them proper technique and build their bodies up right for these skills to be even lower levels.

okay, I'm done. :)

I have an equal amount of respect for James...but on this I must respectfully disagree. Limiting an athletes ability in any sport to achieve their personal best is wrong.
What the USASF Board has done is begin the process of turning our democratic process into what will be a small few deciding what is right and wrong for all of us. In the end our sport will continue because of the dedication and love of the coaches and athletes, we will find and perfect new skills...but what is to stop the USASF from taking those away too???

Additionally we will change our "Image" to try and make those outside us "respect" us by eliminating bows, and lengthening uniforms, and conforming to someones standards...but what happens when that's not enough???

By doing these things we only serve to ultimately loose ourselves and surrender something that we all love....
Amen

I could have lived with the lions share of the rules had they left the tumbling alone...though I think the uniform and male creativity rules are mindless. Before March 28th I could have safely said my girls would cheer till they age out...today..I don’t think so..in addition, I am sure I wouldn’t encourage other parents to put time money and effort into this sport....it is very sad:(

I co-sign and agree with this big time. I have been screaming this for the last two years. WE as Cheerleading (at all levels) should be defining what our Sport is to the world not the other way around.

It is sort of sad to think that not being able to do a standing double, one to double, or double double makes people not want to cheer. Is that really what the sport as a whole is about?
I will be honest in saying that when the first set of rules came out I was upset. Not so much at the rules that were passed (I slowly got over it) but more so the way that it was done. Now with the new proposals out it seems that they did what James said, they compromised with what people were complaining about and tried to make people happy while still doing what they orignally aimed at doing. Sure I wish that I could see double doubles next year from people like Whitney or Cameron, but if I can see a whip double whip double I will be just as happy.
If as an athlete the thought of not being able to throw those passes make you not want to cheer anymore I question why you were cheering in the first place. Don't get me wrong I understand being upset about it 100%, but does it really make you question why you are an allstar cheerleader?

It is sort of sad to think that not being able to do a standing double, one to double, or double double makes people not want to cheer. Is that really what the sport as a whole is about?
I will be honest in saying that when the first set of rules came out I was upset. Not so much at the rules that were passed (I slowly got over it) but more so the way that it was done. Now with the new proposals out it seems that they did what James said, they compromised with what people were complaining about and tried to make people happy while still doing what they orignally aimed at doing. Sure I wish that I could see double doubles next year from people like Whitney or Cameron, but if I can see a whip double whip double I will be just as happy.
If as an athlete the thought of not being able to throw those passes make you not want to cheer anymore I question why you were cheering in the first place. Don't get me wrong I understand being upset about it 100%, but does it really make you question why you are an allstar cheerleader?

Shimmy x 1000 times!

What you aren’t grasping is the process and the power/control...there will be more to come...ie their notation about 2012-2013 consideration etc...blah blah blah...this is just the start....did athletes, parents, gym owners, ep’s from all over get a vote or a say so....and ANY cap on a sport..stifles it...of course my cp.’s will not quit because of not being able to do a standing double or whatever you said and it’s a bit insulting you intimated that...this is so much more than your simple statement.

Back