New Standards For Level Placements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 3, 2017
Our gym posted what was expected at each level for the 2016-2017 season. It was seperated into Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. They are raising the standards. They are asking you have at least Intermediate skills . I like this approach as it should keep the teams more competitive. Your thought?

I think it depends on the gym/team and what their goals are. I'm all for building strong teams that are gunning for summit, but I'm also ok with building teams with kids that have some things to work on (half year teams, prep teams, maybe even full year teams depending).

That chart came out last year from USASF. Our gym used it last year and pretty much stuck with you have to have intermediate skills for the level. I wish there was a better way to gauge stunting skills for the level. It is so tough when stunt groups aren't set , they are working with someone new ect.

That chart came out last year from USASF. Our gym used it last year and pretty much stuck with you have to have intermediate skills for the level. I wish there was a better way to gauge stunting skills for the level. It is so tough when stunt groups aren't set , they are working with someone new ect.
I'd love to see the chart; is it easily found on their website?

I cannot find it, but i know our coaches said it came from them in some form. They are basically listed in order here:
https://admin.varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/AllStar/16-17-LAS-Final.pdf

scroll down to tumbling and the skills are divided into standing and running, and are pretty much in order by difficulty. Basically, the mid range skills for the level mean they can do most to all of the standing tumbling listed and some kind of combination running pass.

Our gym is saying they would prefer athletes to have advanced of the level. Meaning you have beginner of a level.... you are not making that level unless you have some other need that is filled by you (need another flyer or backspot) and you have proven yourself someway. Intermediate you will be looked at and you will most likely be on this level but you better be working hard to be the elite level or you could be bumped back down.

I have no problem with this in general but I think it puts too much emphasis on tumbling. We had some great tumblers this year with not as much experience basing or flying to match the level they were at tumbling and it reduced what the team could do and we had a good number of injuries and it hampered what stunting they could do. Now the moms whose kids were fantastic tumblers love it. That is the weakest thing for my kids... they love stunting and they love being pushed to try new and creative things and that did not get to happen. I think it is also just one more thing for Suzy's mom to obsess over...

Our gym is saying they would prefer athletes to have advanced of the level. Meaning you have beginner of a level.... you are not making that level unless you have some other need that is filled by you (need another flyer or backspot) and you have proven yourself someway. Intermediate you will be looked at and you will most likely be on this level but you better be working hard to be the elite level or you could be bumped back down.

I have no problem with this in general but I think it puts too much emphasis on tumbling. We had some great tumblers this year with not as much experience basing or flying to match the level they were at tumbling and it reduced what the team could do and we had a good number of injuries and it hampered what stunting they could do. Now the moms whose kids were fantastic tumblers love it. That is the weakest thing for my kids... they love stunting and they love being pushed to try new and creative things and that did not get to happen. I think it is also just one more thing for Suzy's mom to obsess over...

Our gym had a similar experience with stunting, with level 3 being the biggest issue. I has been put out there this year that tumbling will NOT get you on a team by itself. If you cannot stunt at that level, don't expect to make it just because you have the tumbling skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there a chart / similar list for stunting skills anywhere?

Do you have a link or I can jut Google Ace Cheer tryout packet?

I like it too. In such a competitive sport, there should be some level specific expectations required to make certain teams. Allstar cheer is so much more competitive now at any level so competition is fierce and level requirements become more necessary to be successful (especially in the higher levels).

I can understand why some may feel it puts a lot of emphasis on tumble. It certainly does raise the standards. I also understand how important it is to have strong stunt groups. My youngest is a tumbler so advanced skills to her come easy. However I have an older daughter who has to push much harder to obtain skills but she's an awesome back spot. Thank you for your responses !

Back