High School New Uca Scoresheets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 5, 2011
Announced today...

https://uca.varsity.com/Competitions/Rules-Divisions-And- Scoring

Thoughts?

I've only had a chance to glance at it so far. Can't give too much of an opinion yet, but I am a fan of putting more emphasis on technique than difficulty. In the past 5 or so years, the reward for difficulty even if not clean or hit was worth it. This will put more emphasis on clean solid skills.

Jumps and dance combined is only 5 points, and I'm breathing a little easier knowing jumps are our biggest weakness this year!

Announced today...

Thoughts?

I've only had a chance to glance at it so far. Can't give too much of an opinion yet, but I am a fan of putting more emphasis on technique than difficulty. In the past 5 or so years, the reward for difficulty even if not clean or hit was worth it. This will put more emphasis on clean solid skills.

Jumps and dance combined is only 5 points, and I'm breathing a little easier knowing jumps are our biggest weakness this year!

Even bigger thrill for me is that KHSAA has adopted UCA scoring and divisions that more closely align with UCA for next year. That means no reason to try to hit two score sheets.

I definitely love the combined dance and jump score. I am curious to see if more teams focus on less difficult stunts this year in order to hit and get great execution scores.

Announced today...

Thoughts?

At first glance, I like it. I agree with more emphasis on technique than difficulty!

Announced today...

Thoughts?

Same on our jumps- same, on, our, jumps...(face palm)

Announced today...

Thoughts?

LOVE LOVE LOVE the extra emphasis on form in all categories.

Love more emphasis on technique. Not sure about dance. Two points!??? Why bother! lol it will sadly help my team because they usually aren't the best dancers but I appreciate a good dance and think 5 was low enough! Not a huge deal obviously. Overall good changes

Love more emphasis on technique. Not sure about dance. Two points!??? Why bother! lol it will sadly help my team because they usually aren't the best dancers but I appreciate a good dance and think 5 was low enough! Not a huge deal obviously. Overall good changes

Let's be honest, though, the best teams have already dwindled the dance down to 1 1/2 to 2 8-counts anyway, and that sometimes includes a jump at the end. It's probably only about 2% of the 2 1/2 minutes and it kinda makes sense for it to be 2% of the score.

Let's be honest, though, the best teams have already dwindled the dance down to 1 1/2 to 2 8-counts anyway, and that sometimes includes a jump at the end. It's probably only about 2% of the 2 1/2 minutes and it kinda makes sense for it to be 2% of the score.
I really wouldn't mind seeing a straight up motion section, or a dance comprised mostly of motions. Too many teams try formation changes and other things that don't look clean enough to be impressive, IMO.

Very true. Just seems so silly 2 points! Could clap out a dance and it wouldn't hurt you much! Haha

Here is my opinion..... I love the cheer sheet. I like more emphasis on execution. I hate the "bobble" in deductions... that is going to cause a lot of confusion. The tumble/overall sheet is where I am going to have issues.

What do we need to do to get a 3 on jumps, or even a 2. I can see so many teams getting a .5 on jumps and a .2 on dance, b/c while it isn't worth a lot, there will be a million comments of how much variety is wanted and combos for jumps (so essentially you are still working on it the same) and for dance, so it is only worth 2, and we will likely still do a nice 2 8-count clean dance BUT they will still comment level changes, footwork, formation changes, so again, we as coaches and choreographers will still be putting the same work in for less points. Also, it hurts a little b/c as school coaches we have kids who really want to cheer and compete for school, but they love the jump, tumble, dance section and now less emphasis on this, I almost feel may deter some kids as the coaches focus will not be as strong on those sections.

With that being said, better training of the coaches on what to focus on and where to put the work would be ideal, especially at camp where we spend 3 days in coaches meetings talking about game lines and fundraising (that so many squads have boosters to do), take some time with the competitive teams and discuss the scoresheets and where the focus is and HOW to maximize your squads potential.

Here is my opinion..... I love the cheer sheet. I like more emphasis on execution. I hate the "bobble" in deductions... that is going to cause a lot of confusion. The tumble/overall sheet is where I am going to have issues.

What do we need to do to get a 3 on jumps, or even a 2. I can see so many teams getting a .5 on jumps and a .2 on dance, b/c while it isn't worth a lot, there will be a million comments of how much variety is wanted and combos for jumps (so essentially you are still working on it the same) and for dance, so it is only worth 2, and we will likely still do a nice 2 8-count clean dance BUT they will still comment level changes, footwork, formation changes, so again, we as coaches and choreographers will still be putting the same work in for less points. Also, it hurts a little b/c as school coaches we have kids who really want to cheer and compete for school, but they love the jump, tumble, dance section and now less emphasis on this, I almost feel may deter some kids as the coaches focus will not be as strong on those sections.

With that being said, better training of the coaches on what to focus on and where to put the work would be ideal, especially at camp where we spend 3 days in coaches meetings talking about game lines and fundraising (that so many squads have boosters to do), take some time with the competitive teams and discuss the scoresheets and where the focus is and HOW to maximize your squads potential.

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't want anything cut and dry telling me I HAVE to do certain things to score like they have in all stars. I am currently in the airport on my way back to KY from the D2 Summit where I have spent two days watching basically five different routines (one for each level) performed about 200 times but set to different music. Every stunt section was exactly the same. Every tumbling section predictable. Every jump section foreseeable. I do not want high school cheer to come to that.

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't want anything cut and dry telling me I HAVE to do certain things to score like they have in all stars. I am currently in the airport on my way back to KY from the D2 Summit where I have spent two days watching basically five different routines (one for each level) performed about 200 times but set to different music. Every stunt section was exactly the same. Every tumbling section predictable. Every jump section foreseeable. I do not want high school cheer to come to that.

Just an example, I previously coached a small varsity, we had weak tumbling and we didn't go to nationals this year b/c of finances....

We did a toe-handspring and then before the dance a triple (was choreographed for non-tumble originally), jumps were a strength, only positive technique comments all season... We couldn't break a 3.5, I was getting asked for variety and so on. I am just saying this b/c it is infuriating to know that we literally do every jump possible and in combo, get great comments about technique and pointed toes and timing, and I am scoring a 3.5. What else do they want?

So with the number now being a 3, and me coaching a strong tumbling team but weaker at jumps, we were thinking a clean double toe and calling it a day, but am I still going to get the same comments of need variety?

Let me also add, I have a huge network of UCA resources to me and I would run this by them too with videos for feedback and usually it was much different then the 3.5 I was getting or just some comments to help clean up. So then I question, who is judging my teams.

Last edited:
Back