High School New Uca Scoresheets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just an example, I previously coached a small varsity, we had weak tumbling and we didn't go to nationals this year b/c of finances....

We did a toe-handspring and then before the dance a triple (was choreographed for non-tumble originally), jumps were a strength, only positive technique comments all season... We couldn't break a 3.5, I was getting asked for variety and so on. I am just saying this b/c it is infuriating to know that we literally do every jump possible and in combo, get great comments about technique and pointed toes and timing, and I am scoring a 3.5. What else do they want?

So with the number now being a 3, and me coaching a strong tumbling team but weaker at jumps, we were thinking a clean double toe and calling it a day, but am I still going to get the same comments of need variety?

I haven't ever done the math on jumps, but on stunt difficulty, 75-80% of teams fall within a narrow range of scores (between 5 and 8-ish) in every division. It may be that on a five point category 3.5 is at the top of that middle range and to get into the upper 3's and 4's you gotta do phenomenal technique or something most teams don't do. We have been working double 9's this year because up until KHSAA adopted the UCA scoring system last week, double 9's were at the top of our "grid" for state. I'm hopeful I can put them away after more information about the transition comes to light.

I haven't ever done the math on jumps, but on stunt difficulty, 75-80% of teams fall within a narrow range of scores (between 5 and 8-ish) in every division. It may be that on a five point category 3.5 is at the top of that middle range and to get into the upper 3's and 4's you gotta do phenomenal technique or something most teams don't do. We have been working double 9's this year because up until KHSAA adopted the UCA scoring system last week, double 9's were at the top of our "grid" for state. I'm hopeful I can put them away after more information about the transition comes to light.

Really it is the clarification!

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't want anything cut and dry telling me I HAVE to do certain things to score like they have in all stars. I am currently in the airport on my way back to KY from the D2 Summit where I have spent two days watching basically five different routines (one for each level) performed about 200 times but set to different music. Every stunt section was exactly the same. Every tumbling section predictable. Every jump section foreseeable. I do not want high school cheer to come to that.
If they don't change, all star will begin to see negative impacts of that echo throughout. It is not good for all star cheer to have competitions look like that

If they don't change, all star will begin to see negative impacts of that echo throughout. It is not good for all star cheer to have competitions look like that

They already have, even if it's on a small scale. I used to go occasionally just to watch. I only go now to support some gym-owner friends of mine.

I actually get bored at all star competitions. And considering that I'm a coach, former cheerleader and lover of my craft, that doesn't bode well for lay spectators.
I use to watch a lot of different teams every season, but now only a few that impress me or I really enjoy. I'm I die hard BSB and this season I watched like two videos of them. Their routine just didn't appeal to me. There needs to be new stunts created.

I use to watch a lot of different teams every season, but now only a few that impress me or I really enjoy. I'm I die hard BSB and this season I watched like two videos of them. Their routine just didn't appeal to me. There needs to be new stunts created.

But if they create new stunts, they won't be on the rubric. Zero creativity in the all star world.

Some of the best ideas I ever had came to me immediately following the statement "well hell, that didn't work." Those moments are only viewed as errors in the tunnel-vision all star world.

Have to agree. Some level 5s I still really enjoy like Beatles. Lower levels to me all look the same and are a getting boring/redundant. Of course there are some lower level teams I really enjoy, but overall it has gone a little down hill for me.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I'm not really a fan of dance being worth 2 points. An excellent dance will get you, what, a 1.8? And a really bad dance will still probably get you 0.2? Average scores are going to be a really tight deviation, meaning in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to be worth much of anything.

The more I think about it, the more I'm not really a fan of dance being worth 2 points. An excellent dance will get you, what, a 1.8? And a really bad dance will still probably get you 0.2? Average scores are going to be a really tight deviation, meaning in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to be worth much of anything.

Maybe it's a way of slowly working the dance requirement out of school cheer altogether?

How often does your cheer team dance to anything other than doing band dances at games?

I'd be a fan of getting rid of it.

Maybe it's a way of slowly working the dance requirement out of school cheer altogether?

How often does your cheer team dance to anything other than doing band dances at games?

I'd be a fan of getting rid of it.

I'm not opposed to getting rid of it (except for the fact that our state competition still has dance as 10 out of 100 points). My issue is right now - you need to do it so you don't get a 0 for dance, but effectively everyone is going to be in the same small score differential, almost like give-me points.

And you're right, the only dances we do are band chants - slow, repeating, crowd-leading type dances.

The issue isn't that there aren't enough stunts, its that only 1-3 score well so teams only do those.

I actually get bored at all star competitions. And considering that I'm a coach, former cheerleader and lover of my craft, that doesn't bode well for lay spectators.
Agreed. Add what i mentioned right above with the stunt boredom with the Levels and Divisions being confusingly absurd to anyone who isn't a coach, it's like they don't want people to watch or understand it.

Back