High School New Uca Scoresheets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Maybe it's a way of slowly working the dance requirement out of school cheer altogether?

How often does your cheer team dance to anything other than doing band dances at games?

I'd be a fan of getting rid of it.
I'm for it being gone. We removed dancing from our tryouts already. If they wanna dance, they know when Pom tryouts are lol

Maybe it's a way of slowly working the dance requirement out of school cheer altogether?

How often does your cheer team dance to anything other than doing band dances at games?

I'd be a fan of getting rid of it.

Would be more on par with coed college score sheets. Don't believe there is a jump or dance section. And for all girl, there is a dance but no jumps I believe.

Would be more on par with coed college score sheets. Don't believe there is a jump or dance section. And for all girl, there is a dance but no jumps I believe.
Anyone know what scoresheet Sm Coed falls under? I imagine Coed, but there are still a decent amount of teams that dance in that division... or at least there were the 5 or 6 years ago that I competed.

Disappointed tosses aren't on the score sheet anywhere. I think it's ridiculous that UCA college emphasizes baskets more than any other cheer system (NCA, USASF, etc) but UCA high school doesn't even ask for them. What kind of skill progression is that?

If they don't change, all star will begin to see negative impacts of that echo throughout. It is not good for all star cheer to have competitions look like that

Why not? That's how other performance sports (gymnastics, ice skating, synchronized swimming) work. If you don't have clear cut expectations (compulsory skills) then judging and awards are a crapshoot.
You can't have it both ways, you can't have consistent judging without consistent expectations.

Edit: To add, college is the same. The NCA and UCA score sheet are very clear on what is expected of you for each section, the only reason the routines seem less "boring" is because there is still room to push the envelope and do something new and innovative in college. Even the best teams like UK still have room to make things more difficult and do crazier skills. Because of that, every year at college nationals I see one or two new things I've never seen before.
But in allstar people are already doing the max in every category, there isn't any grey area to work with anymore.

Last edited:
Disappointed tosses aren't on the score sheet anywhere. I think it's ridiculous that UCA college emphasizes baskets more than any other cheer system (NCA, USASF, etc) but UCA high school doesn't even ask for them. What kind of skill progression is that?

In 1998 when I was in HS they emphasized baskets.... but from coaching for 15 years they really don't emphasize them at all anymore. They have maybe a 1 hour session at camp for baskets, and it is optional.

In 1998 when I was in HS they emphasized baskets.... but from coaching for 15 years they really don't emphasize them at all anymore. They have maybe a 1 hour session at camp for baskets, and it is optional.

The state score sheet still includes them where I am, so we still have to work on them. But I'm surprised to see them de-emphasized by UCA. It's such a stark contrast to what they prioritize for collegiate cheerleaders.
Is NCA the same?

The state score sheet still includes them where I am, so we still have to work on them. But I'm surprised to see them de-emphasized by UCA. It's such a stark contrast to what they prioritize for collegiate cheerleaders.
Is NCA the same?

I just looked up the score sheets from last year and there is also no Basket section. Last time I heard (maybe like 5 years ago) they were combined w/ pyramids.

Would love to have NCA person comment on this. :)

According to a response I received from [email protected], baskets, if performed, fall under partner stunts.

They're not on the scoresheet so that teams will not consider them to be a mandatory skill.

The focus of UCA HS division is, and has always been, on the skills HS cheerleaders routinely perform at games. Let's also not forget that the same scoresheets are used for middle school and rec teams at UCA events. Baskets are illegal for those age groups. Baskets are illegal for high school teams on gym floors. Only a very small percentage of high schools across the country have the necessary equipment to safely, legally perform baskets at games. An equally small percentage have the facilities necessary to practice them routinely. Placing them on the scoresheet would place those teams at a disadvantage, not because of their athletic ability, but because of their schools' financial status.

Fewer than 10% (some articles fewer than 5%) of high school athletes across all sports move on to the collegiate level. The purpose of high school athletics is NOT to prepare an athlete to participate in college athletics. The purpose is to prepare an athlete to be the best athlete and employable adult they can be. If that leads to a collegiate athletic career, so be it. The ones looking only for their chance to move on to "the next level," end up largely disappointed and unemployed.

Tosses were taken out close to 5 years ago now? Time frame could be wrong, all the years start to run together! I for one was disappointed at first, but quickly changed my mind when we stopped doing them. That first set of kids missed them, but now we have kids that have never really done them, so they don't care. I do agree with you though that it is an odd system to go from no baskets at all to elite flipping baskets at the next level. I don't forsee them taking baskets out of college, so I'm not sure where that leaves them with making the score sheets / progressions align better.

Edit: To add, college is the same. The NCA and UCA score sheet are very clear on what is expected of you for each section, the only reason the routines seem less "boring" is because there is still room to push the envelope and do something new and innovative in college. Even the best teams like UK still have room to make things more difficult and do crazier skills. Because of that, every year at college nationals I see one or two new things I've never seen before.
But in allstar people are already doing the max in every category, there isn't any grey area to work with anymore.
In my opinion, it isn't that there isn't room to push on allstars anymore, its that it isn't worth the risk. Allstar judges and coaches are given the list of stunts that are level appropriate or elite. Venturing out of that box is risky. You spend a ton of time on something new and difficult, and there is no reward because the judges don't understand the difficulty involved or even know what it is.

I just looked up the score sheets from last year and there is also no Basket section. Last time I heard (maybe like 5 years ago) they were combined w/ pyramids.

Would love to have NCA person comment on this. :)

Baskets are illegal in several states. It doesn't make sense to include them when some states are not allowed to even practice them.

I was on NCA staff for several years, and basket class was optional because I worked mostly in Missouri and Kansas, and Kansas teams are not allowed to do baskets. It was a better use of their time to use that time for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is NCA the same?

Basket tosses are a 5-point category on the UCA college coed score sheet versus partner stunts (20 points) and pyramids (15 points). That's not exactly prioritized.

Im interested to see if the stunt/pyramid progressions change with the new rules. Currently a back handspring up to prep that releases is an advanced skill and a sponge level needle that goes straight up to arabesque without releasing is a super elite skill (if I'm reading it right, is an arabesque an elite body position?)... I'm interested to see if it stays that way.

Edit: I mean the way level 3 All Star teams do inversions where its a fake handstand at sponge that goes straight up to an extended body position.

Back