All-Star New Varsity Scoring...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheermommaRN

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
IMPORTANT SCORING UPDATE:

For the 2012 - 2013 season, Varsity All Star is making an adjustment to our scoring that allows coaches more wiggle room when selecting their team:

For Standing Tumbling Difficulty and Running Tumbling Difficulty, 'squad participation' will no longer require 100% of the athletes executing a given skill. 'Squad participation' will now be reached when just 75% of the athletes execute that skill. (Ex: a Level 4 team with 15 out of 20 standing back tucks will be evaluated equitably when compared to another Level 4 team with 20 out of 20 standing back tucks).

This new initiative should assist coaches as they select their team members, coach their athletes through mental blocks, and rework routines when last minute roster changes occur. From an athlete's perspective, it should also relieve a little bit of the pressure they may feel to be perfectly well rounded. Our hope is that this ruling provides opportunities for athletes that wouldn't otherwise get the chance to advance to the next level with the rest of their team.

And discuss.....

Shouldn't athletes feel pressure to be well rounded? That's what I looked for in a program, one that would encourage my child to give 110%. I am okay with 75% but a team that only has 15/20 tucks SHOULD NOT max out the score sheet. You end up penalizing the strong teams and watering down the whole division. Kids should advance to the next level due to hard work, not relaxed judging.

15/20 should not score the same as 20/20 IMO. It is like the coed stunting on scoresheets now and how team who have 2 guys under a stunt is scoring the same as team with completely unassisted stunts. If you are going to have it on the scoresheet then the team with a bigger majority needs to score higher.
This is just going to give gyms more of a chance to put athletes not ready for a level 5 team on that team because technically they don't have to do the full or double full anyway.

Yeah I'm really unhappy with this rule. I agree with you 100%, the score sheets shouldn't be making it easier for kids to advance. I'm soooo sick of all these rules being implemented this year that are just watering down competition. If you want to be the best, you ACTUALLY should have to be the best. What a concept, right?

See, it would make sense to me if they made an allowance for 75% = 100% when determining synchronization scores, because full-team synchronized tumbling, especially at higher levels, can get pretty scary. But Varsity doesn't break out the synchronization score like JamBrands does, right? I don't see how this is a positive step forward for the industry.

"less pressure" is not the answer. my gym already has a hard time getting the "entitled" athletes to work, this just gives an excuse to not be working. tumbling has never been my best area, but i busted my butt over an entire summer to get my standing tuck and other level 4 tumbling.

20/20 athletes performing a skill is a much better tumbling team than the one throwing 15/20.

HOWEVER. i could see for teams that maybe need athletes that are killer stunters but are a little behind in tumbling.

still though, i agree with ztaprincess . this is hurting the teams that work to have 100% participation.
ETA: whoops! I meant cheermommaRN

Seems a bit contradictory to me. One one hand they limit tumbling because people are pushing too hard too fast for skills kids aren't ready for and need to slow down and perfect before progressing, and then by their own words this rule allows kids to advance who normally wouldn't. I said it in the other thread...there's two on this....I think this is a continuation of varsity pushing stunting more than tumbling.

Honestly I'm over varsity and them shoving all their ideals down peoples throats. It is our right to decide what teams we put together, it is our right to dress our athletes how we want to, and it is our right to teach kids tumbling how we want to. I can't take it any more all this crap they are trying to feed us on how our sport is not growing because of these things. Everyone of my friends gyms have grown by at least two teams so far. So all I now hear is blah blah blah I'm going to make up facts to get my conservative ways approved. This is a sport if you want to be in it than that is YOUR choice. We don't make things easier so kids feel good about themselves. When they get out into the real world its going to suck when they get hit with their first dose of reality. We have a system to level the playing field with the levels. That is as far as it needs to go.

From an athlete's perspective, it should also relieve a little bit of the pressure they may feel to be perfectly well rounded.
IMPORTANT SCORING UPDATE:

Because being average is what everyone strives for...... well in this case it could be below average because you do not need the average skills to be a particular level.... you kind just have to be breathing. Nugget - the new level 5.

Sorry about my last post. Somehow the quotes got reversed. Oh well not very techy.

So dang frustrating that this comes out after everyone has tryouts. I think people would have chosen teams differently if they realized 75=100. How stupid. Why didn't they do it for stunting then, too? I'd have a much easier time putting up 4 stunts on a small team, than 5. It's pushing for mediocrity.

I'm feeling Atlas Shrugged parallels here. And no, they're NOT good ones...Oh the joys of rewarding mediocrity! Let me tell you what happens when you develop rules for the 'It's not my fault! _______!' and the 'I WOULD be better but "something that seems to absolve them of responsibility" is to blame!'...there's a sudden rush to the bottom.

A 3/4 is not a full. 3/4 is not perfect. 75 may pass you, but it isn't an A+ which should be rewarded more.

I'm feeling Atlas Shrugged parallels here. And no, they're NOT good ones...Oh the joys of rewarding mediocrity! Let me tell you what happens when you develop rules for the 'It's not my fault! _______!' and the 'I WOULD be better but "something that seems to absolve them of responsibility" is to blame!'...there's a sudden rush to the bottom.

A 3/4 is not a full. 3/4 is not perfect. 75 may pass you, but it isn't an A+ which should be rewarded more.

You just related Atlas Shrugged to cheerleading. Can we pretty please be best friends?

You just related Atlas Shrugged to cheerleading. Can we pretty please be best friends?
Certainly. :D It's possibly one of my favorite books of all time. HIGHLY ideological, but I think some basic concepts are way too applicable to everyday life. Everyone should read it, IMO.

Certainly. :D It's possibly one of my favorite books of all time. HIGHLY ideological, but I think some basic concepts are way too applicable to everyday life. Everyone should read it, IMO.
agreed, although it's a bit of a doozy.

anyhow, Varsity is trying to de-emphasize tumbling and emphasize manly men stunting. what else is new?

Back