Newbie In Wv

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 27, 2015
This is my first year coaching. I cheered for 6 years and danced for 2 I am coaching Rec league and the girls ages are 4-11. I already have the competition mix made and I am in the process of teaching it to the girls now. But I am stunned on the cheer. I am not one to make up cheers, I just used the ones I remembered from when I was young. I am coaching the "Heat" (team name) and our colors are maroon and white. I would like to do a 30 second floor cheer so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

We watched some rec teams compete recently and only 1 even did a cheer? I know way back it was required but have moved onto All-star is a cheer still required for rec???

Depends on what brands you're competing. A cheer isn't required & is rarely performed for teams that compete at all star competitions. If it's a Pop Warner style routine, maybe a cheer is required?

We watched some rec teams compete recently and only 1 even did a cheer? I know way back it was required but have moved onto All-star is a cheer still required for rec???
I was supposed to be assistant coach for this team but the head coach took on a new job that won't work with our cheerleading schedule so I took over. She said last year the rules said to have a floor cheer and a dance. So I am guessing our Rec is a little different.

I was supposed to be assistant coach for this team but the head coach took on a new job that won't work with our cheerleading schedule so I took over. She said last year the rules said to have a floor cheer and a dance. So I am guessing our Rec is a little different.
The number one thing that rec coaches don't do for competitions but NEED to do: get the rules and the scoresheet and learn them. Contact whoever is putting on the competition and get them as soon as possible. You need to know for sure if you need a cheer, and also how much it is worth (I used to coach at a rec program where the end-of-season rec comp would count 50% of the total score for cheer - needless to say, that cheer was darn important). Choreograph your routine to fit both within the rules and to hit all of the parts of the scoresheet.

Bottom line: you MUST get the rules and the scoresheet and understand them before you compete. Do not accept the word of a former coach - not that she is lying or anything, but you need to make sure that nothing has changed in the time since she has been coaching, and it is your responsibility as a coach to make sure you understand the rules.

YES to @SarahS -- I took over coaching a middle school this year & the former coaches had some bizarre ideas on what was required in the routine. They thought you needed 18 girls to compete (huh?) and that they had to stop the music for a floor cheer. Needless to say, neither of those was true.

Definitely study the scoresheet so that you know what you need in the routine.

Latest posts

Back