Nfhs Stunt Legality Question?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 24, 2013
I'm new to coaching and have a question about the legality of a stunt.

I know for a suspended forward roll, the flyer has to be braced by either two side bracers or a spotter/someone in their stunt group. Is it legal to have the person who is fronting the stunt (or just an additional person of the group doing this) be the bracer? Which then causes the flyer to "flip" over them, and be caught in a cradle by a second group?

If anyone could help me with this (or offer suggestions on how to make it legal), that would be great!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

You're best bet is to contact Jim Lord, the executive director of AACCA. He can give you a definitive answer.

His email is [email protected]

Flipping over a bracer is illegal according to NFHS rules. The bracer can be the backspot which maintains hand to hand contact and the flyer performs a suspended forward roll to a two-person cradle, but at no time can you legally flip over another person. Sorry.

Single Post Suspended Roll/Flip Leapfrog Style - YouTube

Is this what you mean? This is from Jim Lord's YouTube channel.

From reading the NFHS rules, this is what I found in reference to a single person acting as a post. It states that "0ne base or post may control the top person in a suspended forward roll/flip with continuous hands to hands contact to a two person cradle." I second Acedad's response, your best option is to email him to be safe. I've emailed questions about the legality of stunts in the past, and he was very helpful!

Single Post Suspended Roll/Flip Leapfrog Style - YouTube

Is this what you mean? This is from Jim Lord's YouTube channel.

From reading the NFHS rules, this is what I found in reference to a single person acting as a post. It states that "0ne base or post may control the top person in a suspended forward roll/flip with continuous hands to hands contact to a two person cradle." I second Acedad's response, your best option is to email him to be safe. I've emailed questions about the legality of stunts in the past, and he was very helpful!

Yes! That video is exactly what I was asking about. Either doing it exactly like that, or having two different people waiting to catch the cradle. I'll be sure to email him and ask about the legality of it anyway. Thank you all for your help!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back