All-Star No Competition At Competitions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

USASF rules state that you can only cross over 1 level. Ex. If you are on a level 5 team you can crossover to level 4. Also you can only have a certain amount of athletes cross over depending on team size. This gives athletes the opportunity to be on more than one team. It takes more than 4 or 5 athletes to make a team especially when there are 30+ athletes on said team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely not a USASF rule. This is only true for Summit. You can crossover to whatever level you want and have as many crossovers as you want throughout the season. The only limitation is an athlete cannot be on more than 3 teams, that's it.

Definitely not a USASF rule. This is only true for Summit. You can crossover to whatever level you want and have as many crossovers as you want throughout the season. The only limitation is an athlete cannot be on more than 3 teams, that's it.

I don’t agree with singling out a child but they have a summit bid and that is the team she will compete with. I would be very upset if my child was singled out. The team is level 4.

I don’t agree with singling out a child but they have a summit bid and that is the team she will compete with. I would be very upset if my child was singled out. The team is level 4.

I'm so confused. Who said anything about singling out a child? I was just clarifying the rules for you. Yes, there are limits to crossovers at Summit, but they are not USASF rules as you stated.

I'm so confused. Who said anything about singling out a child? I was just clarifying the rules for you. Yes, there are limits to crossovers at Summit, but they are not USASF rules as you stated.

Someone named a child. If it wasn’t you then I’m sorry. I was talking about summit rules. I didn’t mean to be so confusing. The USASF rules are confusing. They are different for regular comps, NCA and summit.

that is why there is multiple "tryouts" at 1 gym for summit teams in March! It should be year round.

This is not true. I believe only NCA and Summit limit the levels in which athletes can crossover. This is why some gyms take only select teams to Dallas but these kids may compete level 3 and 5 or even 2 and 5 during the season. Some gyms only take bids for certain teams or others have extra tryouts for the empty spots. I think 4-5 kids can alter a team tremendously especially when these may be some of the best at their skills in the gym. I know there are people that think sandbagging is inevitable but I really hate seeing it. It’s not the crossovers at small gyms or due to injuries that I have a problem with. Taking level 4/5 kids and putting them all on a lower level team to stack the team is so unfair to other athletes. If gym xyz keeps kids competing down a level to perfect all skills first that is fine by me.

The thing about having Level 5 kids on a Level 4 or Level 3 or whatever is that yes, they're higher level kids but their Nfinities are not magic. It's not as if it's a guaranteed hit zero just because a team has a good number of Worlds kids. It's still anybody's day any Sunday and their stunts have to hit.

Ex: I remember a mom on here saying once that her J5 daughter was on a Y3 with a mix of other Level 3, 4 and 5 kids (from CEA maybe?) and pointing out that they definitely did not always win.

Last edited:
The thing about having Level 5 kids on a Level 4 or Level 3 or whatever is that yes, they're higher level kids but their Nfinities are not magic. It's not as if it's a guaranteed hit zero just because a team has a good number of Worlds kids. It's still anybody's day any Sunday and their stunts have to hit.
Yes, true nothing is guaranteed. But it stands to reason those stunts are more likely to hit when the team is comprised of more skilled, experienced and coached athletes. Just the other day I watched a video of my daughter from two years ago. Compared to where she is now I could not believe how much better she has gotten. Outside of tumbling entirely her performance level, stamina, jumps, technique, overall tightness, and strength are not comparable and it just would not seem right for her to be on a team two levels lower than her current one.

Yes, true nothing is guaranteed. But it stands to reason those stunts are more likely to hit when the team is comprised of more skilled, experienced and coached athletes. Just the other day I watched a video of my daughter from two years ago. Compared to where she is now I could not believe how much better she has gotten. Outside of tumbling entirely her performance level, stamina, jumps, technique, overall tightness, and strength are not comparable and it just would not seem right for her to be on a team two levels lower than her current one.

My level of "this is not okay" usually depends on the situation, how many kids we're talking and what level.

I can tell you that it did raise an eyebrow when I read on here a few years back about a gym with a significant number of Worlds athletes filling in on a Senior 2.

Is 3 teams a rule for everything? I know a girl on 4 teams (one is international). This is at a gym that uses lots and lots of crossovers.

Is 3 teams a rule for everything? I know a girl on 4 teams (one is international). This is at a gym that uses lots and lots of crossovers.
As long as they don't compete on all 4 teams at the same comp. I dont believe there is an exception for international divisions.

How does it work when you have a lot of kids on multiple teams? I mean, there are limited hours each night when your athletes can even get there, so if each team is practicing even 3x/week, you’re probably going to hit conflicts when you add more than team #2. And if they practice mire than 3x week, which IME is common within a few weeks of competition, which can be most of the season, I can’t see how it would work. The idea of 3 or 4 teams seems pretty impossible.

How does it work when you have a lot of kids on multiple teams? I mean, there are limited hours each night when your athletes can even get there, so if each team is practicing even 3x/week, you’re probably going to hit conflicts when you add more than team #2. And if they practice mire than 3x week, which IME is common within a few weeks of competition, which can be most of the season, I can’t see how it would work. The idea of 3 or 4 teams seems pretty impossible.
I was just talking to a mom whose daughter is on 3 teams. She said she practices with two of them and is a dedicated tumbler on the third, so she just tumbles in front of stunts and pyramid and that’s it. That team practices at the same time as one of her other teams so I think she may join them here and there, but mainly, she doesn’t have to since she’s a one trick pony on that team.

My level of "this is not okay" usually depends on the situation, how many kids we're talking and what level.

I can tell you that it did raise an eyebrow when I read on here a few years back about a gym with a significant number of Worlds athletes filling in on a Senior 2.
Exactly, and that practice still happens. And I agree that circumstances matter, sometimes a spot just needs to be filled, there is an injury or maybe the athlete doesn't have all the skills for their higher level etc.

I seem to remember that CEA only practices once a week per team, although I just read it on here and don't have personal knowledge. There are plenty others on here that know for sure.

Is it common to practice 3x/week? Our teams practice 2x/week except competition week is 3x or rare extra practices.

Last edited:
Back