High School No stunting?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 7, 2010
My coach has this thing against stunting, so she won't let us even though the old coach let the team stunt 3 years ago. Do you really think there's that much of a risk in stunting, because isn't high school stunting usually pretty simple? (I know stunting is stunting so there's danger regardless, but still)

It depends..... in some areas of the country stunting is not allowed. In other areas such as Georgia, high school teams are doing stunts just as difficult as level 5 all star teams. Therefore, I wouldn't say that high school stunting is simple or should be allowed everywhere. It just varies by skill and ability level. A prep for one team can be just as dangerous as preforming a full up for another team if proper form and technique are disregarded. Also, she may be unfamiliar with stunting and be uncomfortable trying to teach it. Therefore it would be a safety liability not only for you all because you haven't been coached by a knowledgeable staffer, but also for her if one of you gets injured because she let you all do something that wasn't legal/safe unknowingly. While it may be frustrating, i would look at the situation in her shoes......many times teachers are just thrown into the "cheer coach" position with minimal experience and may be overwhelmed.
You may want to stick with allstars in this case if you really want to stunt, as it might not be a good idea to fight the coach/school board about this (and honestly if the girls have little stunting experience it would be basic progression stunts used at games anyways).

I'm in middle school and I'm on a cheer team there.
My coach taught us stunts for this big assembely and then she's like ohhh idont want to use these
so she decided to just have us do a dance and she won't let me tumble. I rly want to quit. But anyway... There isn't that big of a risk of injuries in stunting if you have proper mats, spotters and a qualified coach. I don't see why you can't stunt in high school.

There's risk but it depends on the stunts you do. And also a large part of them is how the coach teaches them to you. I was on my middle school team for two years. The first year we stunted 24/7 and no one even got hurt badly that year. But the next year the team became a "Spirit Squad". There was no stunting or tumbling allowed because the administration suddenly began to question our safety. But honestly, you can't tell a cheerleader not to stunt. It's not cheerleading if there is no stunting or tumbling. Tell a cheerleader not to stunt, and it's like telling football players not to tackle each other.

like cheerforeverandever said, your coach might not feel comfortable supervising or teaching you guys stunting. I coach middle school cheer and they stunt. The most difficult stunt we do is a full, straight cradle. We will not do any more difficult stunts because I don't feel like they are ready for that. We still have a lot of kinks to work out with other stuff.

Your coach may just want you guys to focus on the spirit aspect of the sport. If that's the case, try to make a deal with her. Maybe "our team will try to do this in the best possible way, and if we can do this successfully, can you let us to basic stunting?" But talk to her about this in private. Also, your team may not be ready to do any stunting. The majority of my team is capable of stunting, but there is one girl that I do not trust to stunt. My team didn't have a try-outs, anyone could join because I needed a team. There isn't enough interest in that school to have a tryouts. So I have some girls that need to work on other, more basic things before they stunt.

Long story short, talk to your coach in private and maturely ask her why she won't let you guys stunt. Then ask her if there's anything your team can do to prove to her that you're ready to learn how to stunt. If she says no, then end the conversation, finish out the season, and do allstars. :)

i honestly think that highschool cheerleading shouldnt be called cheerleading if they are going to have restrictions.
OR theyre [the coaches] are taking the word CHEER-LEADING, waaaay too literal

i honestly think that highschool cheerleading shouldnt be called cheerleading if they are going to have restrictions.
OR theyre [the coaches] are taking the word CHEER-LEADING, waaaay too literal
i feel like if anything shouldnt be called cheerleading it should be allstars, considering what we do isnt even cheerleading anymore. restrictions or not high school still is cheerleading because they still actually cheer regardless of stunting

i feel like if anything shouldnt be called cheerleading it should be allstars, considering what we do isnt even cheerleading anymore. restrictions or not high school still is cheerleading because they still actually cheer regardless of stunting

True, if anything, all-star cheerleading is the one that shouldn't be called cheerleading.

exactly what im sayin'! because they are leading the crowd by cheers!

Latest posts

Back