All-Star Non-profit Coaches, Good Or Bad?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 10, 2011
Im thinking about going to a new gym where the coaches are all volunteers, this could be good because it makes it cheaper, but does it mean that the coaches could be less involved or dedicated?
Just wondering if anyone elses gym is like this and if it worked or not?
smile.png

i wouldn't know from personal experience, but i would say the coaches would be more dedicated because they are choosing to spend their time coaching you, meaning they really just love to do it
they get no personal material gain

i wouldn't know from personal experience, but i would say the coaches would be more dedicated because they are choosing to spend their time coaching you, meaning they really just love to do it
they get no personal material gain

Hmm that's a good point, thanks :)

My kids go to a non-profit gym-the coaches are there because they love the kids, they love the sport, and they genuinely enjoy what they are doing. I'm not saying coaches at for profit gyms aren't like that....I just know that both my son and daughter have coaches who are committed, enjoy what they are doing, and want to see the kids succeed and grow.

I think the coaches would be more dedicated because they are doing it for FREE!!! They must love the sport and really enjoy the kids to spend their free time doing it! I've said for a long time that the coaches my kids get in youth sports are usually 10 times more dedicated then most of the cheer coaches I've met! I had someone try to tell me all about what a particular coach at CP's gym has given up over the years (time with her friends and family, etc.) to coach...Ummmm well yeah it's HER JOB!!! Tons of people give up that stuff every day if they wish to excel in their careers LOL!!!

I am a non-profit coach for a recreational organization and a small all star program out of a gymnastic gym. All of the teams that I have coached have won National titles, and I genuinely coach because I love it. I take hours out of my week to spend time with these girls who are really my little sisters, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Us volunteer coaches don't coach to make a living, we coach because it is our passion. I know that every good decision I make in front of them is making a positive influence on them and is making them overall better people, athletes, and teammates. I get emotional when I think about it, because they are so important to me. I would have the same attitude whether I was getting paid or not.

I reference the quote "Do what you love, love what you do."

A couple of maybes for you....

Maybe the coaches are volunteer because they are not good enough to get paid elsewhere.
Maybe the paid coaches are more committed because it is their livelihood.
Maybe it doesn't matter if they are paid or volunteer.

It's the individual coaches personality that dictates how good of a coach they are as oppose to how much money they make

I agree that non-profit coaches would be more dedicated but since you are just starting out, I would go with people you know and trust not to flake out on you. Since they aren't relying on you as a source of income, they could just walkout whenever they so wish. Build trust then branch out.

I've been both a paid and volunteer coach. I gave the same amount of effort regardless of paycheck, or lack thereof. The vast majority of us cannot survive on what we get paid from coaching. Regardless of whether we are getting paid or not, we all give up so much of our time (as do the kids we coach). My paycheck from coaching thankfully covers my expenses incurred while coaching (gas, tolls ect). Personally, I wouldn't go back to being a volunteer coach. I was spending more than I was making, and it made it tough. My drive to make my teams competitive has absolutely nothing to do with the size of my check.

Also, non-profit does not necessarily mean the coaches are volunteers. The last program I was with was non-profit, but we were all paid coaches.

I think it depends on the person.... honestly, finding a good quality coach that would do it for free is a nice idea, but in my experience they don't last very long when they could move on to a paid position. You will possibly find yourself looking for new coaches every year.

As NJ Coach mentioned, I've been both paid and unpaid, but I've never given any less than my best to either. I was initially hired to coach my current team with a minimal monthly stipend. I realized that that money would be much better spent on the kids and the program itself, so I declined that stipend after a few months. It is a struggle to coach without pay, as I am spending a lot of money on gas and things for my team (equipment, practice rewards,etc). I also do fundraising to spread it out into kids' accounts who may really need it. As far as I know, I am the only coach who does that and I believe that there are 2 other coaches who do not receive stipends. The best thing is that my hotels still get paid for, and it's often not much for the program to have to cover because I have 3-4 kids in my room to split the cost.

I think we are in a rare situation. I'm not sure how many credentialed, experienced, title-carrying coaches that you would be able to find who would be okay with that type of set-up. I think if you are definitely going to go the route of volunteer coaches, at least find a way to cover their out of pocket expenses, i.e.- gas, tolls, parking, having a budget to buy things for the team, flights, hotels, certifications, etc.

I think it depends on the person.... honestly, finding a good quality coach that would do it for free is a nice idea, but in my experience they don't last very long when they could move on to a paid position. You will possibly find yourself looking for new coaches every year.

As NJ Coach mentioned, I've been both paid and unpaid, but I've never given any less than my best to either. I was initially hired to coach my current team with a minimal monthly stipend. I realized that that money would be much better spent on the kids and the program itself, so I declined that stipend after a few months. It is a struggle to coach without pay, as I am spending a lot of money on gas and things for my team (equipment, practice rewards,etc). I also do fundraising to spread it out into kids' accounts who may really need it. As far as I know, I am the only coach who does that and I believe that there are 2 other coaches who do not receive stipends. The best thing is that my hotels still get paid for, and it's often not much for the program to have to cover because I have 3-4 kids in my room to split the cost.

I think we are in a rare situation. I'm not sure how many credentialed, experienced, title-carrying coaches that you would be able to find who would be okay with that type of set-up. I think if you are definitely going to go the route of volunteer coaches, at least find a way to cover their out of pocket expenses, i.e.- gas, tolls, parking, having a budget to buy things for the team, flights, hotels, certifications, etc.

As an owner of a non profit gym, the only real down fall we have is that most of our coaches are not credentialed; only my daughter and myself are certified. Our gym just can't afford the expense as what we take in goes right back out for competitions, music, and running the gym. I wish USASF offered a better program for certifications. Like a group rate or something. I don't know. Its really the only thing that bothers me about the whole volunteer vs paid issue for our particular situation.

As a teenager girl I give up every night in August and about half in september/october/november to demo for a popwarner team. We are basically the coaches and we dont get paid. I do this on top of my highschool and allstar team. I wouldnt trade it for the world and cant wait until I can really start coaching at an allstar gym. I have a question though. In a nonprofit organization do the coaches get money to pay for travel expenses and stuff or do they have to dish that out too?

I cheer for a non-profit gym and to me it feels just the same as when I cheered for a profit gym but better because even though the coaches don't get paid they have so much love for us. They go as far as having team bonding at hotels, buses for out of town comps and making it more affordable for two day comps because they pay for half of the group rate, and the monthly fee is cheaper so there should't be a reason for outstanding balances. Even though we are non-profit the coaches still produce 1st place routines, with all of our teams having a full paid bid to the U.S. Finals!!!!!!

Just because a program is "non-profit" does not necessarily mean that the coaches work for free. They might work for free, but, that's not what "non-profit" means.

I also coach as a volunteer. I think if you 100% love what you do you dont mind not being payed for it. than the feeling you get while coaching is enough. I even put in alot of my own money in the team.

just when you have a bad day and practise is not going the way you want and the kids are in a bad mood and than you come home finding lots of bills on the table, than its kinda rough and i wish i got payed for it.

i often see coaches that do get payed for their coaching, but they dont seem to live for it as i do, they love it too but for them its more a job, something they need to do for the money not because they want to.

if someone would offer me money to go to another gym im not sure if id take the offer, yes it would be great to be payed for something i love to do, but i also love my team and i dont just want to leave them.

Back