All-Star Non-profit Coaches, Good Or Bad?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think you can tell how good a coach will be simply based on whether they are getting paid or not. I'm sure there are bad/good coaches on both sides of that.

I work at a "not for profit" gym but I get paid. It isn't as much as I would get working for schools or for the local leisure centre but its enough to cover my cost and help keep me going. I have another job as well and do find that coming up to competitions or big events I do extra practices for free.
I don't think I coach any differently as a paid coach as I do when I am doing free classes for youth groups. Its the love of the sport you coach that is important not the size of your pay packet

I've been both a paid and volunteer coach. I gave the same amount of effort regardless of paycheck, or lack thereof. The vast majority of us cannot survive on what we get paid from coaching. Regardless of whether we are getting paid or not, we all give up so much of our time (as do the kids we coach). My paycheck from coaching thankfully covers my expenses incurred while coaching (gas, tolls ect). Personally, I wouldn't go back to being a volunteer coach. I was spending more than I was making, and it made it tough. My drive to make my teams competitive has absolutely nothing to do with the size of my check.

Also, non-profit does not necessarily mean the coaches are volunteers. The last program I was with was non-profit, but we were all paid coaches.

So if the gym is non profit how was there money to pay the coaches? Does the gym not get profit, but the coaches are still getting paid?

So if the gym is non profit how was there money to pay the coaches? Does the gym not get profit, but the coaches are still getting paid?

Non profit doesn't mean that there is no gain from the company. It generally means that any gains go back into the company, and not the owners. It's a tax designation. Employees still get paid. There's a difference between non-profit and volunteer. Non-profit, you can still get paid.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but a non-profit organization is an organization that puts all of it's profits back into the business for the benefit of it's supporters (aka athletes) instead of for the benefit of the owner. The coaches are considered a part of the business, therefore so are their salaries. By paying a coach at a non-profit gym you are putting the money back into the business for the benefit of the athlete because that coach is helping your child succeed. haha, I hope that makes sense.

Non profit doesn't mean that there is no gain from the company. It generally means that any gains go back into the company, and not the owners. It's a tax designation. Employees still get paid. There's a difference between non-profit and volunteer. Non-profit, you can still get paid.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but a non-profit organization is an organization that puts all of it's profits back into the business for the benefit of it's supporters (aka athletes) instead of for the benefit of the owner. The coaches are considered a part of the business, therefore so are their salaries. By paying a coach at a non-profit gym you are putting the money back into the business for the benefit of the athlete because that coach is helping your child succeed. haha, I hope that makes sense.

oh ok, now i get it, thanks
smile.png

Back