All-Star Not Going To Summit

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our team is not going andnim definitely okay with it. I was really really hoping foenit at the beginning of the season, but as the season progressed, I started seeing the benefits of not going. I didn't love the idea of having to plan the trip (and what to do with her siblings and my husband's busy work schedule) on short notice. I'm glad she will be able to go on her school trip in April. Also, to be totally honest, they weren't killing it at comps. If they'd been taking first all year and nailing it, I'd be more sad. There were comps that we'd hit zero and place 4th, which was totally fine, and a great life lesson for them, but probably not worth going to Summit for. In all honesty, I'd like to see a minimum score for bids. I wish it was more elite than it is.

Where is everyone living that they have to travel to get Summit bids? Our gym only travels out of state once as a program. Then again if you get a summit bid. We get all of our summit bids locally

Interesting, i'd like to know this too.

Six years of all star and we still haven’t made it to Summit lol! Sometimes I feel like the only cheer family who can say that! Our gym just started accepting full paid bids this season, but it was at the coach’s discretion and most teams opted not to chase bids. It makes sense when you look at our gym’s dynamics and calendar to why we don’t go, especially since level three and higher jr and sr teams do have UCA on their schedule.But I have to admit that it does bum CP out- especially when she sees her friends from other gyms going. We are huge Disney fans and would love it. It is an experience that I would like her to have at least once.

As for the distance conversation, I do think that the accessibility that gyms who are on the east coast have plays into the popularity of the comp. I can book flights between $130-200 r/t pp. Flights to Orlando are consistently cheaper than flights to any of our other fly away comps like Myrtle Beach and Atlanta. Driving is also an option, for people who want to bring the entire family with them. Most of our national comps are stay to play, so room prices would be comparable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CP has been to all 5 previous Summits. The last 4 with a paid bid. This will be our 6th Summit. Yes, it is expensive, but nothing in the world could replace the memories we have made with other families and athletes. My CP is a high school junior and I hope that she will have her 7th Summit next year as it will be her final year. Her goal is to go to Worlds and Summit next season! She has been cheering and traveling since she was 7. She hasn’t burned out even with yearly schedules that include comps like Cheersport and NCA on the schedule back to back. She loves the competition, the travel and the friendships. She hopes to cheer in college.

Where is everyone living that they have to travel to get Summit bids? Our gym only travels out of state once as a program. Then again if you get a summit bid. We get all of our summit bids locally
What is considered local? We live in NYC but the gym is about 40 miles away in NJ. The majority of 2 day comps are outside of NJ. We only do 1 in NJ and that's still about 2 hours away. This year we went to Providence, RI, Anaheim, CA, Atlanta & Hartford, CT.

What is considered local? We live in NYC but the gym is about 40 miles away in NJ. The majority of 2 day comps are outside of NJ. We only do 1 in NJ and that's still about 2 hours away. This year we went to Providence, RI, Anaheim, CA, Atlanta & Hartford, CT.

Our closest comp was 2.5 hours away. We are in the northeast also.

At our previous gym, lower level teams only did 1 out of state comp. We had 3-4 local 2 day Summit bid comps. Last year they added 1 other out of towner. Both were driveable. We switched gyms this season. We had 2 local 2 day Summit bid events and 3 out of towners. One was NCA and that was a flight. The other 2 were driveable. Not sure what next year will be.

In Ct there's is only 1 bid comp, hour 20 minutes, otherwise NJ MA or RI or MD for driving. All these r over 2-5 hours. Flying for Dallas.

Cp, retired and current, said they were disappointed in 2014 when they didn't go to the Summit. They said it's a big deal, because everyone makes it a big deal. They celebrate, get new Summit stuff, and when everyone else's season is ending they get one more moment with their team. Their question to me, "What kid doesn't like a celebration, new stuff and more time with friends?" Fair enough.

Parent perspective, we live in the Southeast and UCA and the Summit are two of our favorites. They're great competitions, the kids don't have to miss any (or much) school depending on compete times, no additional hotel days are needed for traveling, we don't have to fly, the weather is nice, and we rarely go to the parks. Without a doubt, missed school days and expense definitely determine how much we enjoy a competition. For us, NCA is the most expensive National and our least favorite even though it's a great competition.

LOL. Varsity is going to be so greedy with money, that they will start inviting prep, tinys and minis. Maybe throw in the novice program as well. Parent squads will probably get Summit bids soon as well.
Exactly! International that competes a day earlier...what is next?! I would have been more than happy to skip summit this year but my CP got a bid in December so I've known all season we were going. I will say that getting that bid early kind of ruined the season in some ways. All of the focus seems to be on getting bids and so once that bid is secured the other competitions felt less exciting (or maybe it is because we've been doing this entirely too long!). The experience of summit is great but I can't say I would look forward to years more of it. It certainly is exhausting trying to pack Disney and 2-3 days of cheer into one short trip!

My daughter's J4 team has not received a bid and has even scored 95s and failed to ..being beaten at two day events by S4 coeds and such and at one day events by J2/J1s. We have one more wildcard event and then it's over this year. :(
I think it seems to be harder to get a bid in Jr. 4 for a few reasons. When my cp was on that team we also often got outscored by sr 4 teams for bids. I think by Senior 4 more of the athletes seem to be comfortable with tumbling and stunting at that level. I have seen competitions where every single senior 4 team hits in a large division so it is hard to beat overall scores there. I often see j2 or j3 getting grand champs (over senior teams) but not as often on level 4. Hope she gets that bid!

Curious what levels you are competing in? CP is on a 4, they got an at large in December but could have also earned one at at least 2 other comps. I think this might be especially true for levels 4/4.2/5, that the bids are easy to get this year.
We noticed this year that almost all of the Med/Lg 4.2 teams we saw had bids. I will say it is going to be a tough division at Summit because we have been at big comps where every single team hits with an amazing level of difficulty going on. It was one of those divisions I didn't enjoy watching but that has certainly changed this season. I have predictions for this division but I guess I will keep them to myself lol.

Our team is not going andnim definitely okay with it. I was really really hoping foenit at the beginning of the season, but as the season progressed, I started seeing the benefits of not going. I didn't love the idea of having to plan the trip (and what to do with her siblings and my husband's busy work schedule) on short notice. I'm glad she will be able to go on her school trip in April. Also, to be totally honest, they weren't killing it at comps. If they'd been taking first all year and nailing it, I'd be more sad. There were comps that we'd hit zero and place 4th, which was totally fine, and a great life lesson for them, but probably not worth going to Summit for. In all honesty, I'd like to see a minimum score for bids. I wish it was more elite than it is.

I agree with your thoughts here as going to summit is a great accomplishment for teams but spending all of that money with no chance of winning (or in many cases making it past WC or day 1) seems like I'm throwing away money we could use on a "real" vacation.

I agree with your thoughts here as going to summit is a great accomplishment for teams but spending all of that money with no chance of winning (or in many cases making it past WC or day 1) seems like I'm throwing away money we could use on a "real" vacation.

Exactly. I personally know several people who will be in that huge Youth 1 WC round and they didn't bother booking Friday night because they are getting back on the road to head home after the results.

Exactly! International that competes a day earlier...what is next?! I would have been more than happy to skip summit this year but my CP got a bid in December so I've known all season we were going. I will say that getting that bid early kind of ruined the season in some ways. All of the focus seems to be on getting bids and so once that bid is secured the other competitions felt less exciting (or maybe it is because we've been doing this entirely too long!). The experience of summit is great but I can't say I would look forward to years more of it. It certainly is exhausting trying to pack Disney and 2-3 days of cheer into one short trip!

This!! My daughter's team got their bid early this year, too. Then they struggled quite a bit at many of the other comps this season. I don't know if other girls/parents felt this way, but it seemed like their fight for 1st was less when they already had that bid earned. Last year it was a fight until the very last second of every routine to put their best on the mat in hopes of beating all the other teams at their level to get that precious bid.

Back