All-Star Number of Teams attending Worlds through the years?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
Could someone please give me the number of teams that have attended Worlds each year since the beginning? How many countries have been represented each year? Who were the original gyms back in 2004? What gyms have been there every year since the beginning? And any other interesting facts about Worlds. I am trying to put together a fundraising letter and wanted to include as much info on the history of Worlds that I could.

Thanks so much 8)

cheerwatch10 said:
Could someone please give me the number of teams that have attended Worlds each year since the beginning? How many countries have been represented each year? Who were the original gyms back in 2004? What gyms have been there every year since the beginning? And any other interesting facts about Worlds. I am trying to put together a fundraising letter and wanted to include as much info on the history of Worlds that I could.

Thanks so much 8)

Cheer Athletics has been there every year.

Medal Counts (Thanks to BlueCat)
2v3oorb.png

That's about all I know lol, I'm sure BlueCat may have some more intersting facts, I think I remember someone posted how much worlds has grown the past few years..I'll look around for it!

ARI3L said:
cheerwatch10 said:

Thanks so much 8)

2v3oorb.png

That's about all I know lol, I'm sure BlueCat may have some more intersting facts, I think I remember someone posted how much worlds has grown the past few years..I'll look around for it!

Now this is something to brag about. I think it's funny to see a gym that advertises or has on their shirts "255 time National Champion" (Just a random number I just thought of). Probably half of those are ones that had only 2 or 3 in the division....and most come from a company that probably has 4 or 5 different National Competitions around the US.....then about 3 maybe 4 percent of that is NCA National Champions. In my opinion, the title "National Champion" is overused. That's why I think having any kind of World Title...or even just being a Silver or Bronze medalist is huge! And something to truly brag about!

ffamilyguy said:
ARI3L said:
cheerwatch10 said:

Thanks so much 8)

2v3oorb.png

Now this is something to brag about. I think it's funny to see a gym that advertises or has on their shirts "255 time National Champion" (Just a random number I just thought of). Probably half of those are ones that had only 2 or 3 in the division....and most come from a company that probably has 4 or 5 different National Competitions around the US.....then about 3 maybe 4 percent of that is NCA National Champions. In my opinion, the title "National Champion" is overused. That's why I think having any kind of World Title...or even just being a Silver or Bronze medalist is huge! And something to truly brag about!

1st we all know that 1st statement was towards stingrays since they are the only gym to do it(that i know of) 2nd they do not go to any small nationals 3rd this is a WORLDS medal thread, not nationals.

cheerboy973 said:
ffamilyguy said:
ARI3L said:
cheerwatch10 said:

Thanks so much 8)

2v3oorb.png

1st we all know that 1st statement was towards stingrays since they are the only gym to do it(that i know of) 2nd they do not go to any small nationals 3rd this is a WORLDS medal thread, not nationals.

I disagree, I think that there are many gyms who use "national champions" in their music or chant. It seems like a lot of the smaller less well known gyms use those titles bc it is their "claim to fame" for the current time. However, I agree that it seems overused and sometimes not deserved like how the above person was saying sometimes they have no one to compete against or their division was super small. But I don't think it was a direct shot at Stingrays by any means, just more of a general observation :)

In 2004, there were 2 divisions - All Girl (6 teams) and Coed (8 teams)
All Girl results - CA (gold), F5 (silver), American Cheer (bronze)
Coed - Miami Elite (gold), Spirit of Texas (silver), Memphis Elite (bronze)

In 2005, there were 4 divisions - Small Senior (5 teams), Large Senior (8 teams), Small Coed (10 teams), Large Coed (7 teams)
Small Senior - Stingrays (gold), Georgia (silver), Star Athletics (bronze)
Large Senior - F5 (gold), CA (silver), American Cheer (bronze)
Small Coed - Spirit of Texas (gold), Cheer Zone (silver), T&S (bronze)
Large Coed - Miami Elite (gold), CA (silver), Top Gun (bronze)

In 2004, the teams participating were -
All girl - CA, F5, American Cheer (Calif), Memphis Elite, River Cities, Tennessee Storm
Coed - Miami Elite, Spirit of Texas, Memphis Elite, ACE, Pro Spirit, Kentucky Elite, Texas Lone Star, Clovis Elite Thunder (Calif)
No international teams

In 2005, the teams were -
Small Senior - Stingrays, Georgia, Star Athletics, Stars Extreme, New Zealand All Stars
Large Senior - F5, CA, American Cheer, Cheer Dynamix, Carolina, River Cities, VCSC Price, Wild Cats Nuestro Senora del Rosario
Small Coed - SOT, Cheer Zone, T&S, GymTyme, Pro Spirit, Central Mississippi, Univ Cheer Air Force One, Champion Outlaw, Power Cheer, Georgia
Large Coed - Miami Elite, CA, Top Gun, Georgia, Kentucky Elite, Texas Lone Star, Santa Ana Vikings

2006 is when Worlds became huge and they added the international divisions

Small Senior - 21 teams
Large Senior - 19 teams
Small Coed - 32 teams
Large Coed - 17 teams
Intl All Girl - 6 teams (Georgia was the only US team)
Intl Coed - 20 teams

Going back to the "250 X National Champion" discussion, I think a lot of gyms use that. (I know we do... :) ) I agree that it is MUCH more impressive to hear about World's wins. It's like a TRUE nationals. With that said, I'm still very proud of the number of national titles my gym has won. Yes, sometimes we only beat 1 team and other times we had to beat 20 teams. However, I think it's so important to enjoy successes in life, whether they're great or small. I hope the kids I've coached throughout the years take that with them into their adult life. (as well as the hard freakin' work it took to earn those successes!! ;)

thanks for the info clz mom, I do love to see how much Worlds has changed over the years. I first went in 2006 and truly loved that year, it was the perfect size!!!! Though I do love to see all the countries that are now represented and the opportunity it has given to so many gyms from across the country. Can't wait to see what 2010 brings!!!!

Were bids given out the same way as they are now? Were there at-large, partials, and paids? And I'm assuming there was wayyyy less of them given out haha.

gimmemyglobe said:
Were bids given out the same way as they are now? Were there at-large, partials, and paids? And I'm assuming there was wayyyy less of them given out haha.

The first year, there were only paid bids.

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to how many teams each gym has taken over the years...for ex. - Gym ABC went to worlds for the first time in 2005 with only one team getting a bid and now in 2010 they are going with 6 teams, 4 of which are full paid bids...(just a fabricated example of course, no reference to any particular gym). Do any of you out there have any of those kinds of stats? I think it is interesting to see how gyms grow in this way over the years...it shows that they are grooming their younger athletes to become worlds contenders. It is probably congruent with the growth of competitive cheer in general, but still fun to see how the gyms grow none-the-less....

Back