All-Star Numbers On Large Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I know that it already has been established that large on level 5 teams can go to 36, but only to 32 for the rest of the levels. But i just dont understand the reasoning behind it.
I'm not trying to start a fight here, just really want to know why it was done.

I don't like it because if you have 32 then theres that one odd stunt group in the pyramid that has to either be in the back or be in front of the center brace. I feel that if they were gonna decrease the numbers they should have taken off 8 which would have made it 28.....

i think its their way of slowly but surely shrinking large to 30? or eventually have 32 be large for ALL divisions. but with having medium at 30, i dont see the point of an entire division based off of 2 people.

As to why they are shrinking large? Because the average number of participants in large divisions across the board at major events was around that number or so. At 32, a group of 25 can still be competitive as opposed to 36. It's a cut of 4 people as opposed to a larger cut of 6 (wow, obvious math there Kristen. Brava). As to why they put 32 for 1-4 and 36 is still 5? To give the coaches who were absolutely dead-set against it a year to acclimate their rosters? I have no clue on that one..I do assume that by next year though we'll all be at 32 and MAG in level 5 will be gone. I'm just guessing though haha

maybe so they can count all the sync. tumbling instead of having those world renouned "nuggets" hehe

it could possibly start determining the winners since everyone is starting to be "neck and neck" when it comes to skills! i really dont know why they did it its just my guess?!

I don't like it because if you have 32 then theres that one odd stunt group in the pyramid that has to either be in the back or be in front of the center brace. I feel that if they were gonna decrease the numbers they should have taken off 8 which would have made it 28.....
OMG! we spent half our practice last night trying to come up with different formations for 8 groups. no matter what we did, it didnt look right.

coach12 said:
OMG! we spent half our practice last night trying to come up with different formations for 8 groups. no matter what we did, it didnt look right.

Ugh I hate even numbers in formations!! I hate even numbers in counts too lol. I'll take numbers 1, 3, 5 and 7.

Thank u drive thru.

The argument was that the numbers of teams in large was steadily decreasing. (there were also few large teams that actually maxed out the numbers in large) In order to make it easier dorm teams to make he jump,from small to medium, they decreased the max. The thought was that there would be a net gain on the average teams size, as more teams would try to jump up to large now instead of feeling pressure to stay at 20.

(for an example of this in action, witness the large senior 5 division over the last few years, and what the explosion of teams in the new medium division.)

Large teams were 35 for the longest time. Take a look at some old shooting star routines. They always put up 8 stunts before it was changed to 36.

You can do a V with one behind. You can do an inverted V with one in front, almost like an A. you can do an M with someone behind the point. You can do a diagonal with 4 and 4. Or a straight like with 4 and 4. You can do 3 lines, 3-2-3 or you can do 1, 2, 3, 2.

There are plenty of things you can do.

We did the 4 & 4 - just looked odd.
Then we did the V & i just feel like that hides your 8th stunt. We didn't get the correct score at a jambrand event last year because they couldnt see our 8th stunt when we did the V formation.
I do like the 3 2 3 formation - might have to try that.....thanks!

Large teams were 35 for the longest time. Take a look at some old shooting star routines. They always put up 8 stunts before it was changed to 36.

You can do a V with one behind. You can do an inverted V with one in front, almost like an A. you can do an M with someone behind the point. You can do a diagonal with 4 and 4. Or a straight like with 4 and 4. You can do 3 lines, 3-2-3 or you can do 1, 2, 3, 2.

There are plenty of things you can do.

The limit were 30 before that, 25 before that, and 20 before that. I think that the number got too large to be sustainable.

I have never been bothered by formations without a center stunt, as long as it was basically symmetrical.

You can also legally to stunts with 3 people, so you can fix the even formations if it bothers you that much by simply adding another group.

The limit were 30 before that, 25 before that, and 20 before that. I think that the number got too large to be sustainable.

I have never been bothered by formations without a center stunt, as long as it was basically symmetrical.

You can also legally to stunts with 3 people, so you can fix the even formations if it bothers you that much by simply adding another group.

Do you mind me asking the dates on those numbers, approximately and whether or not the were "industry wide" or different competitions with different sets of numbers and were they with only one division, say senior all girl?

Do you mind me asking the dates on those numbers, approximately and whether or not the were "industry wide" or different competitions with different sets of numbers and were they with only one division, say senior all girl?

There was no "industry wide" until after the USASF was formed around 2004. We all pretty much went by NCA's standard (in our region) until USASF's took over.

These were the numbers for the largest possible division you could enter:

In our region, 20 was the most you could have until 1995 ish, 25 for about 2 years after that, 30 for about 4 years after that.

This was the first year I can recall where different levels/age groups had different max numbers. (not counting "small" divisions)

Back