High School Nutrition Battles

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 10, 2015
We have discussed at great length the dangers of talking to teenage girls/athletes about losing weight/gaining weight.

Do any of you have issues teamwide with kids not eating lunch during the school day?

Our practice intensity has been off the scale all summer, yesterday they all died about an hour in. The average amount of intake for the day seemed to be "an apple." What strategies have you used to combat this?

My present plan is to have everyone bring in a box of some type of healthy snack and start practice off with ten minutes of "snack time." This seems like a waste of time, but compared to 45 minutes of non production yesterday when they all crashed, I'm willing to pick my battles.

We have discussed at great length the dangers of talking to teenage girls/athletes about losing weight/gaining weight.

Do any of you have issues teamwide with kids not eating lunch during the school day?

Our practice intensity has been off the scale all summer, yesterday they all died about an hour in. The average amount of intake for the day seemed to be "an apple." What strategies have you used to combat this?

My present plan is to have everyone bring in a box of some type of healthy snack and start practice off with ten minutes of "snack time." This seems like a waste of time, but compared to 45 minutes of non production yesterday when they all crashed, I'm willing to pick my battles.
We def do snacktime in the summer, hoping we don't need to keep it going this fall but will if liek you said, they're all dead after 10 mins of working. Too many kids push themselves to the limit and don't realize how hurtful they are being to themselves

Certain meds can surpress appetites ie ADHD/ADD/Anti-depressants meds. My cp is ADHD she doesnt each lunch during school either. Every year I think Im going to get a call from school or cps. But she explains its her meds and that usually stops the inquistion.

We have moved most our practices from directly after school to about 4:00 or 5:00. I know that isn't an option for everyone but I can definitely tell the difference from after school practices. Giving the girls an hour or two after school to recoup and eat some food at home has definitely made practices run more smoothly and they're more energized.

We have moved most our practices from directly after school to about 4:00 or 5:00. I know that isn't an option for everyone but I can definitely tell the difference from after school practices. Giving the girls an hour or two after school to recoup and eat some food at home has definitely made practices run more smoothly and they're more energized.

I've considered that. I'm not a teacher at the school, and someone has to supervise the students. I would much prefer your approach.

I feel like I'm constantly getting at mine to make them get ready and roll mats out instead of snacking. They get an hour of free lunch during the day, but still act starved by 3:30. I've had to get onto quite a few since school started for not eating or eating enough during the day. I wish I had a solution, an official snack time may be a good idea.

Back