All-Star Oldest Competitive Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheermommaRN

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
Just because it would be fun...
Who holds the record for the oldest competitive cheerleader either currently or past?
As an older cheerleader do you find it harder to do skills you once had?
What about injuries...do you think you get injured more frequently than your younger counterparts or about the same?

Just because it would be fun...
Who holds the record for the oldest competitive cheerleader either currently or past?
As an older cheerleader do you find it harder to do skills you once had?
What about injuries...do you think you get injured more frequently than your younger counterparts or about the same?

I know a coach who has worked with us in the past competed at World's last year. I think he's 36. And there's one on our co-ed team (competitive, but only brand new this year) who is 42 I believe.

I'm in my 30's now too, and I can still out tumble about 1/2 of my team who doesn't tumble at all. I learned all my skills in my late 20's too, so I'm actually a better cheerleader now than when I was younger. I have found it harder to learn new skills this past year or so. Not sure if it's age or I'm just not putting in enough time to get the new skills.

I'm injured less, I think, cos I'm in great shape compared to a lot of girls on my team. I think a you get older, you get more health conscious. I can't go out drinking every weekend cos I fell terrible the morning after now. Weight is harder to keep off and you keep trying to stay young, so I think I eat better and exercise more than a lot of the 17-22 year olds on the team cos I have to. Keeps me healthier and I think (almost) injury free. I definitely take more time and longer to warm up now though!!

I should have added to the questions...are you a true International cheerleader? It seems more commonplace across the ponds to have older cheerleaders.

I know a coach who has worked with us in the past competed at World's last year. I think he's 36. And there's one on our co-ed team (competitive, but only brand new this year) who is 42 I believe.

I'm in my 30's now too, and I can still out tumble about 1/2 of my team who doesn't tumble at all. I learned all my skills in my late 20's too, so I'm actually a better cheerleader now than when I was younger. I have found it harder to learn new skills this past year or so. Not sure if it's age or I'm just not putting in enough time to get the new skills.

I'm injured less, I think, cos I'm in great shape compared to a lot of girls on my team. I think a you get older, you get more health conscious. I can't go out drinking every weekend cos I fell terrible the morning after now. Weight is harder to keep off and you keep trying to stay young, so I think I eat better and exercise more than a lot of the 17-22 year olds on the team cos I have to. Keeps me healthier and I think (almost) injury free. I definitely take more time and longer to warm up now though!!

How awesome. Props to you. I'm 22 and the thought of even whipping out a tuck right now sends me into traction.

I think we have a bunch of people on our National Team who would be considered ''old'' in the US :) I think one of them is 36 (but i am not 100% sure, i know he is in his 30s though)
We have a lot of older people on our Senior Teams over here, as is said on another Thread i am 26 myself. I started Cheerleading when i was 18, i did Figure Skating before and i was very happy to find a competitive sport i could do as long as i want to and still have a chance of going to Worlds/achieve something ''major'' some day!
My Boyfriend used to cheer, he is from the US and won Worlds once. He is my age and sometimes i feel like it must be funny to him that i'm still competing ;)

I should have added to the questions...are you a true International cheerleader? It seems more commonplace across the ponds to have older cheerleaders.

What do you mean by International?? I competed at Worlds in 2011 and we're going for a bid again this year. We went to Jamz in Vegas last year, and I've been to 3 USA nationals in the past too. We compete OAG 6.

For me, I always had to quit cheer cos there were no more teams (graduate, etc.). Once all-star started, I figured I can still do it, so why not. If my body can do it and I'm not holding my team back, I'm going to keep doing it, cos I love it. And I think that cos all-star didn't exist when I was younger, I haven't broken myself the way a lot of younger athletes have. A lot of the very talented kids on our younger teams won't cheer past senior because of injuries and having competed at such a high level for so long.

I feel like Eric ( owner ) from Desert Storm Elite is in his late 30's early 40's and still competes and tumbles beautifully.

What do you mean by International?? I competed at Worlds in 2011 and we're going for a bid again this year. We went to Jamz in Vegas last year, and I've been to 3 USA nationals in the past too. We compete OAG 6.

For me, I always had to quit cheer cos there were no more teams (graduate, etc.). Once all-star started, I figured I can still do it, so why not. If my body can do it and I'm not holding my team back, I'm going to keep doing it, cos I love it. And I think that cos all-star didn't exist when I was younger, I haven't broken myself the way a lot of younger athletes have. A lot of the very talented kids on our younger teams won't cheer past senior because of injuries and having competed at such a high level for so long.

I think she meant like from a gym that's not in the US. It can be confusing to differentiate whether you're talking about a non-US team or a team in the IO divisions.

we have a dad that started off on our parent team a few years ago and is now throwing 2 to layout , standing tucks and running and standing passes on tumble track through to fulls. He's in his late 40's.... I think its pretty darn impressive that a couple of years ago he couldn't even cartwheel and learned to do all of that in his 40's!! He is now on our open 4 team :D

King is pretty darn old, and I know he has been on the worlds mat fairly recently :)

I competed my final time at age 31 in 2011 (2 years past when I wanted to stop competing). I do keep getting asked to compete but I really just have no desire. I won my ring and enjoy teaching and coaching more. Though I recently started stunting with my Tech kids again. That has been fun.

I tried to go cheer at a couple of big univeristy programs to get my masters a year ago. I was 27. I've switched over to weight lifting. At first it was to lose some weight to get a tuck, but now I pretty much do nothing cheer related. Too many flakes. I miss it a lot though, I might see if the community college I'm at right now will let me compete partner stunt next year (if my fiance doesn't kill me). Here's my last skills video before I stopped:

Back