All-Star Olympics Just Granted Cheer Provisional Staus

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sorry if you've answered this before, but do you happen to know why this is the case? It's a little sad to see so many IOC 6 teams not eligible for a full-paid bid even though their scores are up there with the rest of level 5.

I don't know exactly, but there's a number of reasons that I can guess about. Open teams, especially level 6, don't make gyms any money. Those athletes pay very little tuition, they're not taking privates, etc. Gyms would probably have their "real" teams, made up of paying athletes (and paying parents) get the paid bids and EPs are just giving them what they want. Those senior teams (and i5 teams which tend to have a bunch of under 18 kids on them) are probably more likely to go compete at other events by that EP where the open teams generally go to as few events as possible to secure a bid. GymTyme just puts their Lousiville teams in different uniforms and has them compete. Why would you want to give your paid bids to a college team in a different uniform instead of the all star kids who pay all year.

That's actually not completely true. Many EPs don't give paid bids to open teams, especially level 6. The ability to get paid or partial paid (which isn't even a thing in the US anymore) is extremely limited for them. NCA, for example, will give paid bids to I5 teams, but not I6. As far as I know, my coed 6 team is not eligible for money at any of the events we'll be competing at this season.
I understand that, and I think that sucks. The teams with the highest scores should get the bids, regardless what their tuition is. Some senior coed 5 teams have free tuition for their boys, right? So that's about the same.

What I mean is that you can find a competition that gives out paid bids to open teams (even though it's hard to find) - but most international teams can't accept a paid bid even if they would earn one. I'm not complaining about not having paid bids in my country, because where would that money come from? I rather have low competition fee's for everyone than raise it just to give out one paid bid.

How many Canadian teams go to the US and compete (at other events than Worlds)?

Worlds team don't really go... I mean some go to NCA, but other than that, it is too expensive. Our dollar is not strong enough.

We have more non-Worlds teams going.

When I was in all-star we went to 2 competitions state-side usually... BUT I vaguely remember (and don't quote me on this) that we weren't eligible for a bid in the USA. We had to qualify at a Canadian competition. And like @CookieMomster said $3000 doesn't go very far when you have a team of 24 (+ an alternate?) & Coaches.

It really depends on where they're located in Canada. Teams in areas that are close to the US border usually make a few trips to the US each season, and vice versa, we have US teams at some of our bigger comp's like Cheer for the Cure and Nationals.

Our gym sends almost all of our teams around 2x per season to US competitions. Some are just across the border in Buffalo and we don't need a hotel stay, and then we also tend to go a bit further into the US for another one. Last season CP's M2 team was in Cincinnati and Indy for Jamfest. This year she's in Buffalo and Chicago. Our Y5, J4, J5, S4 and IOG5 teams go to NCA, our IOG5 team was at Cheer Alliance in NYC this past weekend, and some of our of our Y2, Y3 & J3 and all of our non-world Senior teams go to CheerSport Nationals, and then we have our 6 Worlds teams. However, to keep costs down our Worlds teams only compete in Canada, with Worlds being their only US comp (with the exception of our IOG5 team). I can't speak for the other gyms in our area but from I can see when we're at US comp's the larger gyms do the same thing as we're at a lot of the same US comp's.

@cfwp.cheerleader is correct, CDN teams cannot qualify for Worlds bids at US comp's, but we can qualify for bids for Summit and other comp's. Our Y5 went to Summit 2 seasons ago.

Last edited:

We have in the past, depending on the team and year. There was one year, way back in the day where we were eligible for a Worlds bid in the US, but it's now changed. The level 5 teams often do more trips, either in the US or other places in Canada plus Worlds, but that is usually at the request of the parents. Most level 6 teams only travel for a bid or Worlds cos we're all poor college kids. ;)

Back