One Man Stunting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 9, 2012
I am a cheerleader for my highschool and recently we've been working on more advanced things, we want to do a pyramid for our halftimes but since our team is so big, we split the team in half for basketball b/c we all can't fit on the sidelines. We only have 11 people, so thats two stunt groups an then theres 3 people left, me, a flyer, and a very good tumbler. So, we decided to have the tumbler tumble during the pyramid, and then see if I can one man the flyer. I have never tried one man stunts above a prep level and that was with a bunch of spots around me. The flyer i would base is very little (80 lbs?) and i'm not super strong but i am probably the strongest person on my team. Anyone have any tips on learning one man stunts? Easiest way? Also if anyone has any drills or conditioning that would help build upper body strength or something that would help one man stunts please comment!:)

as a guy that comes from powerlifting i can tell you that you do not need any strength at all for partnerstunting... it is all about correct technique.

best power movements are clean and jerk and thrusters as well as squats / front squats ... you can google thrusters and clean and jerk (almost the same)

and if your flyer is not tight, all that strength does not help... i could not extend my 95lb flyer eventhough i can press 90lb dumbbells

Coming from a girl who one man stunts, it is so much about technique. Always, always, always push from your legs. In a group stunt, you can get away with just using your arms (bad technique, yes, but it still works). In partner stunting, you can't. You have to squat really low and use all of your leg strength. In regards to actually lifting the flyer, don't just aim to bring her to prep level. Aim to lift as high as you can (at least eye level) and then lower her down. It's easier.

The other, equally important thing to remember is that you and the flyer absolutely must work together. And sometimes (and I hope for you) it's easy, but other times it takes a lot of work to get things like timing in sync. Partner stunts won't go up if you're not working perfectly together. It takes a lot of practise, but you can do it! Good luck!

Back