All-Star One Step Forward And Yet Another Back

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My private Catholic school allowed us to wear our uniforms with full length leggings on game day. Our school only has air conditioning in one-third of it because its so old and we are in the middle of renovations. With the leggings and crop top turtleneck thing, whatever you wanna call it, we would overheat in the 95 degree class rooms. This year we decided to switch to wearing a black polo that says DCHS CHEERLEADING and has a little megaphone and a teeny Squire on it. I feel alot more comfortable wearing that than I ever did wearing my uniform that didn't cover my butt, but that's a different story for a different day!

I go to a Catholic school and we wear a uniform, so we aren't even allowed to wear our cheer uniform to school.

I don't think our girls ever wore there uniforms to school.
However, our dress code was not that serious. You could wear shorts long as they come to your finger tips. You can wear tank tops long as the strap isn't smaller then 2 fingers or approx 1 inch (pretty much no spaghetti straps). Long as it wasn't nudity, profanity, or drugs then your good!

We really didn't have a dress code problem. I had short arms so I could get away with super short shorts.. Lol I would have teachers chase me down the hallway and be like your shorts are to short.. I'd put my hands down to my side and say nope- I have short arms! I'd smile then walk away.

As far as what your brought up Id hope they would let them wear matching warm up pants that matched their colors. I wouldn't want to see sweats underneath a skirt all day long- that looks totally weird and cheap!!

Have you seen Volleyball players uniforms now? They look like underwear with t-shirts tucked into them and they don't wear them to school but compete in them. There is a time and place for everything. Our girls are in VICE wear for pep rallies too, when they actually have one.

even field hockey skirts can be pretty short.

Have you seen Volleyball players uniforms now? They look like underwear with t-shirts tucked into them and they don't wear them to school but compete in them. There is a time and place for everything. Our girls are in VICE wear for pep rallies too, when they actually have one.

Lol yes I have - our school is pretty much anything goes for dress code I see girls going into school in waaaayyy skimpier outfits than our cheer uniform. And halloween is the WORST - lots of everything hanging out

I guess my point was more the they didn't want anything 'hanging
Out' so to speak. You can make a cheer uniform appropriate for school too. We don't wear them often - basically pep rally day and early away games where there is no time to change we do spirit wear for most home games and dress up for away games

I think what bothers me is equating the uniform in the range from "inappropriate" to "lewd", and the comment about the butt cheeks. Is the principal really saying the cheerleading uniforms and other short articles of clothing are inappropriate because the school day is not the appropriate forum for wearing the uniform (meaning school is not the event the uniform is intended for, it is intended for athletic activity), or is she insinuating that cheerleading uniforms are lewd which is a completely different matter.

I personally think that cheerleaders should never be allowed to wear their uniform during school hours. It's just inappropriate...kinda like if the football players wore the tight football pants during school hours.

The very intelligent argument by the cheerleaders against wearing sweatpants underneath the skirt as dorky made me laugh. One of the girls in the pic is wearing pants with the uniform top (with no skirt), and another girl is wearing uggs. Uhhh??

I personally think that cheerleaders should never be allowed to wear their uniform during school hours. It's just inappropriate...kinda like if the football players wore the tight football pants during school hours.

THIS IS OFF SUBJECT
Hey I would have loved to have been at school where the football pants and all being worn to school all day.

Football was so big at my school and I was by far the most school spirited (I was not a cheerleader). I dressed up every game. I'm talking about paint, shirt, shoes, I even had a belt made out of mini footballs! Lmao I wore it to school and would then wear it to the home games. In fact I wouldn't even go home I would stay at school and hang out with the football players till the gates opened for the game! I was so into the game I made a flag that was red and put a bouncy ball in it so it would fly if I had to throw it (in case I wanted to challenge the refs calls).

Anyways one day I wanted to dress as a football player. I had the jerseys from one of the players the year before and they looked the same. One of the players loaned me there shoulder pads they had at home. I wore my cleats from softball (I even taped them up) and I went out and bought football pants and pads. All I needed was a gold helmet with a spear on the side. (we had the exact same helmet as florida state university). Well the school kept the helmets and I asked the coach if I could borrow one. He said they weren't allowed for whatever reason. So I bought a bucket.. You know the Halloween buckets of like pumpkin faces you buy at walmart?
I flipped the bucket upside down and cut the face part out of it which leaves an opening for my face wearing the bucket upside down on my head! I painted it gold and put the little thing on the side. The strap on the bucket was used as my chin strap. I attached a mouth piece to it.

I then painted my face red and put rhs on it. I wore the complete uniform all day long, bucket, shoulder pads, cleats and everything! I won free tickets to the game pretty much every week!! It didn't matter because I had a season pass:). As far as the uniform I loved it, all my football player friends were running up in the hall bumping me and getting hype yelling "what time is it.. Game time! What time is it....."

So long story short I loved wearing it but it would have been even better with all those boys wearing them.

A uniform worn while competing, performing, playing etc, is not required to meet dress code. Track, volleyball, swimming, softball, etc., uniforms probably don't meet dress code and wearing jeans, khakis, over the knee skirts etc, don't meet safety code.

I have no problem with them not being allowed to wear the uniform at school.
I tried to find something to respond to that and I got nothing. I do think though that its 2011 and people need to be less conservative. These are not skirts that they bought at the mall with their friends, they are part of a uniform that was provided to them by the school.

I too went to catholic school so we had a uniform, but even if they (the school) WOULD allow us to wear our uniforms our coach wouldn't due to fear of ruining them (seeing as we only got new ones once ever 2-3 years so they had to last stain-free!). The volleyball team (myself included) was allowed to wear spandex for our game uniform. We had no length requirements for our shorts and trust me, those ride up more than any other uniform I've ever had to wear, especially with a lot of movement and sliding on the floor. They were little better than booty shorts most of the time just due to game play..

And from the article, it said that the uniform skirts weren't REALLY under dress code, just slightly. But how much is slightly? A half-inch? Quarter inch? 3/4 inch? Whole inch? More? Also, are the uniforms custom fitted for each girl every year or are they distributed to whomever fits them the closest out of a box the school keeps for each season (like ours were the years we didn't get new ones)? What happens if the only uniform fitting you is a bit on the short side? You can't alter them.. A 'problem' my school has is that each girl doesn't get her own uni to keep, they just size whoever is on the team that year so those are the uniforms they use for the next 2-x years before they get new ones. So for sports, a lot of times the number you get is based on the uniform you fit into..some bigger girls on the VB team had to buy their own spandex this year because we didn't have any in their size from when we bought them 2 years ago.

i went to public school, and we wore our uniforms to school every single friday during football season. There usually wasn't a problem, but of course, there were a few girls who easily could have used a larger skirt. For those cases, the principal usually contacted our coach with a specific name to fix the problem. We also had an issue with one of the girls skirt being too short and her just wearing a thong underneath, but that is a whole other story.

My school rarely got new uniforms. and when they did, the new unis automatically went to the competition team. Then the old competition unis go to varsity, varsity to jv, jv to freshman. Basically, no one's uniform is ever custom fit unless you are on the competition team on the year they happen to get new uniforms. They also distributed uniforms in age order. So the seniors would pick their uniforms first, and so on. By the time I got my varsity uniform my freshman year, it was about 7 sizes too big. Luckily they let me alter it, but that skirt probably would have met catholic school dress codes it was soo long on me lol. After three years of terrible-fitting uniforms, we finally got new competition unis my senior year and they added inches for my long torso and my skirt was perfect :cloud9: that was a good year.

so, for school spirit reasons I understand why the school required us to wear our uniforms weekly, but that could have just as easily been done with our warm-ups, tee shirts, polos, ect. After all, it is only warm enough for a skirt for the first 3 weeks of school here anyway. Once october hit we had matching leggings, sweats, warm-ups, gloves, scarves, and ear muffs for the games but still were required to wear the skirt to our fully air conditioned, freezing school. I almost wish is wasn't a requirement.

I find really funny that we were allowed to wear our unis to school, no leggings or pants required, in the 80s and 90s, but today's student athletes have to be "more conservative." Back-pedal much, administration?

Can you really consider it a step back??? They shouldn't make exceptions to the rule no matter who it is and for the sake of the cleanliness of the uniforms...they probably shouldn't be worn to school either. A simple t-shirt can make you look like a team while also following the school's dress code.

If the reference to the uniform is any way related to sentiments of "lewdness", then yes, I would most definitely say a step backward.

Back