All-Star One Up Feedback

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
My gym is strongly considering attending the one up competition in nashville for next season. Im curious to get some feedback about this event.

Was the competiton run well? Was the scoring fair? How was the Nashville area? Was it an expensive place? Will alot of teams that went this year be returning next year?

From what it looked like it seemed like it was a good, well run comp.

Any feedback you can give me would be great!

We went this weekend and had a great time! The venue is right in the middle of downtown, so there are lots of options for food and fun things to do during the day. You're not just stuck with what the venue has to offer, which is nice. The comp was good. Divisions weren't split by team size, so it made for a larger amount of teams/more competition per division. Overall, this is a good one. It will be held in the new convention center next year, which should be nice. It's in the same area, and it will be a bigger, more modern venue. Nice...because I have a feeling this one is going to get much bigger in the years to come.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Seemed like it grew a lot from year one to year two with quality teams at that. I have a feeling this competition is only going to get bigger.

i think the only downfall to next year is the dates. it's only 2 weeks prior to worlds - so if you're going for a bid i hope you pre-book your worlds flights and rooms before competing. for non-worlds teams it seems like a fun comp to end the season (if you don't go the summit route)

also I would like to attend solely to go to the 3-story honky tonk bar that everyone tweeted pictures of. I no longer cheer, but looking at everyone's photos this weekend, it certainly put nashville on my travel bucket list.

What I've heard...

Decent comp, a little unorganized
Accurate scoring
Sweatshirts for level 1-4, but jackets for 5
Fun area to be in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think the only downfall to next year is the dates. it's only 2 weeks prior to worlds - so if you're going for a bid i hope you pre-book your worlds flights and rooms before competing. for non-worlds teams it seems like a fun comp to end the season (if you don't go the summit route)

also I would like to attend solely to go to the 3-story honky tonk bar that everyone tweeted pictures of. I no longer cheer, but looking at everyone's photos this weekend, it certainly put nashville on my travel bucket list.
That bar is great! I actually went to Nashville for a work conference, and they rented out the entire bar for the conference attendees. They hired the Locash Cowboys (they were phenomenal by the way) sorry for rambling but definitely a great place to visit in Nashville.

I agree. I only hope we go back next year. In less than a month they open up a new music center city building which is gigantic and I assume they'd move there which is only a block or two away (easy walking distance). Lots of entertainment options and many are kid friendly until 9pm or so.

Only knock is that every now and then they'd skip someone on the schedule, but that's minor. Scoring consistency....umm...it was OK in our division. I did hear of another where a team had a couple of SF's and a TB and still managed to stay in first, but that's a whole other story. I didn't see the routine so I can't say if it was deserving or not. I'll let everyone make their own decisions. I just hope there wasn't any big name gym favoritism going on. (notice I wasn't accusing so don't jump me on that)

Our gym had a great time this weekend at one up. Placements in almost all our divisions were exactly what we expected with only one small exception. The staff was very nice and professional, and ran mostly on time.
Only negatives were:
Venue, even though we were told it will be in the new center next year. It was just way too crowded.
Warm ups, I loved the idea of a four station warmup, but the last station was only 3 minutes and was ridiculously stressful. I ended up just having my teams do their jump section on it. Most teams could not finish a full routine in the time limit.
Also, while the comp was mostly on time, east hall ran early on day 2. Had I realized it before my mini 2 went on, I would have refused to go on till our scheduled time. A few parents and all of our teams that had already met missed the kids nailing the routine. We told everyone to adjust accordingly and to be there early from that point on.

As for the pros, there are tons!
Great production values without annoyances, awesome atmosphere. The city was fun for all ages, and the downtown area didnt feel sketchy. I highly recommend the aquarium restaurant, didnt get the chance to do much downtown. there's a Cheesecake Factory so a huge plus for me (I'm five hours from the three nearest)
Scoring was mostly spot on, especially so in center hall.
And we had the BEST gym room in the arena. I'm almost disappointed the location is changing so we can't request the same room. For those of you who were there, it had a window into Center hall, while you were straining to see over the sea of iPads from floor seats when f5, World Cup.... etc were on stage, we had a better view than the judges :)
The quality of the competition was great, big name gyms without reaching nca levels of competitions. Huge shout outs to ece, c4 and tumblebeez. Amazing teams (c4s small mini 1 and junior 3 were amazing. We traded off two of the level one divisions with tumbler bees(we won large mini 1 they won tiny. Super nice people with strong teams. And ece was entertaining to watch at every level from mini 2 to 5, especially j5. They're mini 2 was only the second team to beat us all year, and the only team to outscore us when we hit.) we as a medium sized gym with not much national exposure were able to hang with all of our level 1 and 2 teams getting first or second in deep divisions, our j3 came back from a day 1 collision and pyramid crash (both involving a tough little girl with an already broken hand) to jump up two spots to fourth and best pyramid for 3. Our four and five didnt hit perfect, not bad but not great and definitely placed accordingly lol. For smaller gyms this can be a great place to rest the waters before nca or cheersport IMO, but if they keep the competition this fun and well ran it will end up being NCA without the Texas teams. Not a bad problem to have

iI absolutely recommend this to comp to

Nashville an enjoyable place to host this event. Plenty of places to dine, decent hotels and lively nightlife. The venue was ok, nice prizes for all levels especially the jackets. The crowd control did not control the crowd in the VIP area really irritating when cheering on your team please sit down in the VIP area so others can see. Needs better variety of food In the arena. The EP needs to consider change date of event if possibility, April 13 to late in the season and right before worlds, most programs have completed the season by that time

Second year attending the event. We love the event. For a gym that wants to see what it feels like to be at a larger event with very prominent programs that are sure to bring a show with a bit of a rockstar type feeling, this one hits the mark. So far all the feedback has been positive from our athletes, parents and coaches. Expect from some cheer drama talk but that happens everywhere...

I kinda feel that because the event grew so much from last year, a lot of the disorganization was more reflective of growing pains than bad customer service. There were also some whose responsibility issues - the EP or the Convention center Staff.

Issues: One I had with the lack of water/cups in the warmup area. You either had water and no cups, or cups and no water. On day one there two water coolers in warm ups but there was not a water cooler when you came off the last warm up floor. The re-positioned it for day two. This was told to us to be a venue issue with their staff. But One Up was taking the hit for having no water. Then people were bringing their own water bottles but leaving them laying around the floor which is an injury waiting to happen.

This is just my personal opinion here but in warm ups you need more than a college kid or all star kid making a few extra dollars for the weekend, or volunteering for a college project at an event like this. We all know that there are some coaches will take as much time as they can on every floor and to h*** with the schedule. Those type of kids will not stand up to those type of coaches and make them rotate when they are supposed to.

There was no signage to direct us from warm ups to the the East or the Central hall. This was also taken care of for day two.

The traffic flow needed to be better thought out. Going into a larger building next year should relieve some of this, but it was difficult getting through those watching routines to get into the competition arena, warmups, priority line up, or to leave the floor area after watching your routine.

Back