Open 4

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by NHcheermom, Jun 3, 2019.

1. NHcheermom

NHcheermom I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Can someone explain the purpose behind open 4 to me? I am slightly confused. Unless they are international they can't compete at the d1/d2 summit, correct? So is this level just supposed to be for fun? Is there a lot of competition for Open 4? I think our gym is debating having one and I am just curious what this means for the athletes on it.

2. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think O4 was created for aged-out athletes who maybe did not have the tumbling for what was then IO5 and Io6. I believe O4 goes to Summit but not sure. @luv2cheer92 was on CA's Open 4 and can probably answer better than me. I think @tojofasho is also an Open 4 athlete?

3. Jennifet

Jennifet I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Open 4 allows young adults that have aged out to compete. I believe they do compete at summit.

4. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    It is an international division and is available as one of the IASF divisions at the Summit. I was on a team the first year the division was created in 2012 and there were 3 teams in the country. I then returned for the 2017 season at CA and there was a good amount of competition at NCA that year, about 10 teams or so. The last few years the division has boomed, especially last season since it is now a Summit division.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. NHcheermom

NHcheermom I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    What I am curious about is the non international Open 4......I know they compete but, aside from the international summit, is there an end of season competition for them?

6. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan

They competed at summit this year. Top Gun created the division (the first O4 team) they also competed and won a competition in Mexico a few weeks ago.

7. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    There was no Open 4 at Summit, there were a few teams who competed in that division at NCA, but IO4 was a bit bigger. I do believe there were a couple teams that competed O4 at NCA, but had a bid for IO4 for Summit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. tojofasho

tojofasho I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    MsCoachMartin
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    Senior Open 4 doesn't get to compete at Summit, but I know they can compete other large competitions (just not what is arguably the 'largest'). At the start of the season TG had my team slated to be Senior Open 4, but they changed it to International before our first competition so that we could compete at Summit.