All-Star Open For Debate, What Would You Rather Have?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
a national champion title from UCA or NCA college nationals? or a world champion title from allstars? what is valued more at this point?
with some of the things king said, it got me thinking, and i'm interested to see people's opinions.
i know all my teamates now always tell me "no one knows what worlds is besides allstar cheerleaders. but if you ask someone about college nationals, they know what you're saying." now, obviously they are biased because they are college cheerleaders... but, are they right? is that true? or do they have it backward? just curious to hear some opinions :)

peace, love, and happy cheering
showstopper

in 5 years worlds will be more prestigious than any college title.

A champion college team earns recognition and respect from their school and classmates (on the whole). They are typically held in high regard for the year and announced with their title during home games, etc. They are a part of something "bigger" because they have gained additional fame through their performances at sporting events. They are on tv more because their games and competitions are televised. It brings honor to the school, so it is appreciated at some capacity, by a larger community. Outside of that school community, there is a cheer community that brings another circle of fans.

Allstar world champions are also celebrated and recognized, but the glory and victory seems a bit more compartmentalized. Not everyone recognizes that Gym A from their town is a world champion. They are more likely to know that the cheerleading team for their beloved hometown college team is a national champion. Now in the cheer community, it seems that the allstar following is a bit more fanatical. So while the cheer community following may be more intense, it is one less circle of recognition.

I understand that there are exceptions to everything I stated above. In fact, in some situations it may be entirely opposite. However, this is what my personal observations have been.

*Case in point, think Louisville Cheer Calendars and how well they sell.

A champion college team earns recognition and respect from their school and classmates (on the whole). They are typically held in high regard for the year and announced with their title during home games, etc. They are a part of something "bigger" because they have gained additional fame through their performances at sporting events. They are on tv more because their games and competitions are televised. It brings honor to the school, so it is appreciated at some capacity, by a larger community. Outside of that school community, there is a cheer community that brings another circle of fans.

Allstar world champions are also celebrated and recognized, but the glory and victory seems a bit more compartmentalized. Not everyone recognizes that Gym A from their town is a world champion. They are more likely to know that the cheerleading team for their beloved hometown college team is a national champion. Now in the cheer community, it seems that the allstar following is a bit more fanatical. So while the cheer community following may be more intense, it is one less circle of recognition.

I understand that there are exceptions to everything I stated above. In fact, in some situations it may be entirely opposite. However, this is what my personal observations have been.

*Case in point, think Louisville Cheer Calendars and how well they sell.

How many allstar kids know who won D1A coed last year?
How many college kids at the school that did win know their cheer team won? Compare that to how many know what place their football team is in?

How many allstar kids are there? How many know what Worlds is?

I would LOVE for college cheer to get more recognition than it does. But let's face it, it doesnt.

Or, to say another way, allstar cheer is so 'big' and popular there is a message forum specifically dedicated to just discussing cheerleading and 90% of it is allstar cheerleading. College cheerleading, while talented, shows up on the radar twice a year.

Right now what is or is not important to win is in flux, so depending on where you go opinions will vary. In 5 years worlds will be 'the' cheerleading contest to win. And college rules might have gotten so bad everyone is ground bound.

I'd rather have a college title, but that's because I come from college cheerleading. If I had cheered all-stars my whole life, I would probably value a worlds title more. I think a college title is "worth" more than a level 6 worlds title. But I think a worlds title for a level 5 team would be better than a college title.

Personally, I would loveeee the world champion title. However, "non-cheer" people would have no clue what that meant and wouldn't think anything of it. Compared to if I said "My Well-known D1 college cheer team won nationals", normal people who weren't a part of the cheer world would be very impressed.

Personally, I would loveeee the world champion title. However, "non-cheer" people would have no clue what that meant and wouldn't think anything of it. Compared to if I said "My Well-known D1 college cheer team won nationals", normal people who weren't a part of the cheer world would be very impressed.

Well known D1A. Outside of some Luke song it is not like many people know where Morehead college is.

worlds title. though im not in college yet allstar cheer just seems so much more interesting to me, i can never get into even watching college cheer

Outside of the Cheerleading World Top Gun is a movie, World Cup is a soccer tournament, and Cheer Extreme/Athletics/Force is an oxymoron.

Yes. but of the 125,000 allstar cheerleaders (on the low end) they all know more about Worlds than they do about college cheer.

Were all fish in some small ponds, were just arguing about who's pond is smaller.

As an international team from Canada, Worlds is definitely the 'big deal', but because of course not everybody is a level five athlete, our level three and four teams go to UCA. I'd love to go to NCA for once just to be able to see what it's actually like though!

I've cheered allstar and at a D1A college, and I would most definitely rather have a worlds ring. College Cheer is dying a slow death, so the big divisions are out of like 14 teams. Woohoo...

Latest posts

Back