All-Star Open For Debate, What Would You Rather Have?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Colleges aren't split based on size, but possible attendance at football games. Wake Forrest is D1A and they have 2-3k people at their games.

They're mostly split based on school size. I was simplifying. 1A vs. 1AA is based off of the football program though. But in every other sport (except college cheerleading) there's no disctinction between 1A and 1AA. It's just 1.

The original college cheerleading divisions Are based off of the football divisions. Attendance plays a part in being the Most prestigious football division. Read the link you sent me it says about attendance under football. A few schools have been considered being taken off Because they did not have enough attendance at football games.

The original college cheerleading divisions Are based off of the football divisions. Attendance plays a part in being the Most prestigious football division. Read the link you sent me it says about attendance under football. A few schools have been considered being taken off Because they did not have enough attendance at football games.

Again though, football division only affects D1 teams. And then you're either 1 or 1A, and until recently, all-girl wasn't even split up that way, just coed teams. But D2 and D3 (don't they compete in the same division now?) have nothing to do with football, just the number of sports teams a school has. When I said UofA and ASU were probably D1, I meant in general, division 1 schools, not necessarily 1 vs.1A in regards to cheerleading programs.

Really at this point, it's not really 'worlds'. The main competition is between US teams. For the exception of everyone's favorite Loony Dolphins, senior divisions are just US teams. So only 4 divisions at worlds are true 'world champion titles'. The rest are at the same high level 'national' status as NCA or UCA - the best teams are brought to one place and compete. All season, people say 'this team is better than that one but we'll never really know until they compete all together' At this point, that is exactly what these competitions are doing - bringing everyone to one place.

I think that once the non-US teams really start to develop and make a statement in the competition and give US teams a run for their money, Worlds will be much more prestigous over any college national title.

Hello togehter,

Cheerleading is an American sport. so what you discuss?
America is recognized in cheerleading and you can even get a scholarship.
Be proud of what you have achieved.
But not for too long we will come and one day we will win.;)

Greetings from Germany

I still don't get it. I don't watch football. I think its rather pointless. All I hear about is how ASU starts off their games winning and then basically give it away in the last quarter. That's not the exact choice of words, it more generally has to do with bending over.....anyways...Therefore, I don't watch football and still have no idea what divisions are. Is D1 or D3 better? I don't get it. ASU's cheer team isn't really called a cheer team. Its called a spirit squad and they don't stunt. They have like a...sort of competition team though? I don't know. They're really um, not good.

I still don't get it. I don't watch football. I think its rather pointless. All I hear about is how ASU starts off their games winning and then basically give it away in the last quarter. That's not the exact choice of words, it more generally has to do with bending over.....anyways...Therefore, I don't watch football and still have no idea what divisions are. Is D1 or D3 better? I don't get it. ASU's cheer team isn't really called a cheer team. Its called a spirit squad and they don't stunt. They have like a...sort of competition team though? I don't know. They're really um, not good.

Colleges aren't like all-stars, there aren't levels split on talent. In general, D1 teams are better because they're from schools with bigger sports programs usually more money, etc. It's like high school cheering. However, HPU, for example, is D2 and are better than A LOT of D1 teams. It's college athletics in general, not just football - the only thing they show on tv (football, hockey, basketball) is D1 because they tend to be bigger and better, but smaller schools also have athletics programs. Did you cheer in high school or have any friends who did athletics? Schools only play against other teams in their division, even cheering. I don't really know what there is to get. A school with 40,000 students has more resources than a school with 2,000, so it kinds of evens out the playing field a bit.

However, NCA nationals (I'm not sure about UCA) also offers intermediate divisions within the big division (1,1A,2,3). These divisions are for teams who can't compete level 6 skills, so they have stricter requirements in what they're allowed to do. No standing tucks I think, not 2 1/2 high pyramids, no double (single?) downs, etc. That's probably where ASU would fall, but they could meet your definition of "not good" and still compete in regular D1 or 1A.

Splitting divisions by talent is pretty unique to club sports I think. Lots of travel teams (hockey, lacrosse) have A,B,C teams, cheering and gymnastics have it's levels, but schools for the most part are stuck.

Hello togehter,

Cheerleading is an American sport. so what you discuss?
America is recognized in cheerleading and you can even get a scholarship.
Be proud of what you have achieved.
But not for too long we will come and one day we will win.;)

Greetings from Germany

I don't really know what you're trying to say in response to my post. But honestly, cheerleading isn't too recognized in America. Not as much as it should be. Most people in my school have NO idea what allstar cheer is or even consider our school team (which I am not a part of) an athletic activity. We have acheived a lot but there is still a ways to go in terms of public recognition.
And I do hope that eventually international teams can really up their game and maybe take a World title :) It would make the whole 'worlds' aspect more fun for everyone.

Colleges aren't like all-stars, there aren't levels split on talent. In general, D1 teams are better because they're from schools with bigger sports programs usually more money, etc. It's like high school cheering. However, HPU, for example, is D2 and are better than A LOT of D1 teams. It's college athletics in general, not just football - the only thing they show on tv (football, hockey, basketball) is D1 because they tend to be bigger and better, but smaller schools also have athletics programs. Did you cheer in high school or have any friends who did athletics? Schools only play against other teams in their division, even cheering. I don't really know what there is to get. A school with 40,000 students has more resources than a school with 2,000, so it kinds of evens out the playing field a bit.

However, NCA nationals (I'm not sure about UCA) also offers intermediate divisions within the big division (1,1A,2,3). These divisions are for teams who can't compete level 6 skills, so they have stricter requirements in what they're allowed to do. No standing tucks I think, not 2 1/2 high pyramids, no double (single?) downs, etc. That's probably where ASU would fall, but they could meet your definition of "not good" and still compete in regular D1 or 1A.

Splitting divisions by talent is pretty unique to club sports I think. Lots of travel teams (hockey, lacrosse) have A,B,C teams, cheering and gymnastics have it's levels, but schools for the most part are stuck.

Lol maybe i don't get it because I didn't go to a high school that had sports teams. I went to a 2 year high school with only 100 kids. I graduated at 16 with 25 kids in my graduating class.

Getting back to the original question, I asked a young lady who has 4 NCA jackets, a Worlds Championship and a D1 College National Championship which meant more to her? Her answer was ... College National Champoinship.

Back