High School Operating W/ Competition & Partially Grounded Sideline; Does It Work?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Would/could this work?

• Yes, at our school.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but not at our school.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Im a high school cheerleader and i believe that hs should focus most of their time cheering for the actual teams..... unlike allstar were actually cheering for something so i feel like that should be the main priority. At my school we cheer at every football game home and away and on the track you can tumble, stunt, and jump,, halftime same thing on turf/ grass. We dont do preseason basketball but every league basketball game as well as playoff on sidelines for basketball, theres no room for jumps but at quarters and halftime we can stunt and jump. Now football usually ends early november so thats when comps start, while were on break from football waiting for basketball. then basketball ends at the end of feb and then comps usually start back up in march- april. Thats usually hoe managing comps/sideline in my whole district works!

Personally once again i feel like the main focus should be cheering for basketball and football, its honestly the funnest thins being in front of your whole school plus you have time for comps as well. in the off seasons

And i just wanted to add for sideline you dont just do chants o_o and ive never ever seen a school use a megaphone or "props" for sideline ( this was my last year and ive been doing this for 3 years) i feel like thats just stereotyping you can actually do a lot on the sideline (at least in my district)

And i just wanted to add for sideline you dont just do chants o_o and ive never ever seen a school use a megaphone or "props" for sideline ( this was my last year and ive been doing this for 3 years) i feel like thats just stereotyping you can actually do a lot on the sideline (at least in my district)
Your area allows it, but consider how things might change in a few short years. If people are becoming increasingly worried about football players because of its impact on their brain, what do you think is going to happen to the athletes on the sidelines at those football games who are also risking injury by stunting and tumbling? How can they justify allowing cheerleaders to stunt and tumble (on the sidelines, not talking about HS competitive cheerleaders) if they are worried about allowing football players to tackle (and I didn't even touch upon the issue of the poorly designed plastic helmets)?

Last edited:
You're area allows it, but consider how things might change in a few short years. If people are becoming increasingly worried about football players because of its impact on their brain, what do you think is going to happen to the athletes on the sidelines at those football games who are also risking injury by stunting and tumbling? How can they justify allowing cheerleaders to stunt and tumble (on the sidelines, not talking about HS competitive cheerleaders) if they are worried about allowing football players to tackle (and I didn't even touch upon the issue of the poorly designed plastic helmets )?

In regards to fb i get they might be worried but there is nothing they can do besides change fb into flag fb, bc getting tackled is what should be expected. And i get what your saying they might be worried girls falling on the track and injuring their head and i do see that that could happen, but i also dont think stunting/tumbling on the track during sideline would be removed UNLESS there is a large number of serious head injuries/falls across the nation. (which i dont see why that would happen if you'd have proper technique and full stunt group its not like we do extreme stunts on the track, mostly simple fulls, baskets, libs, and a small pyramid) .

i hope im making sense :( Also since theyve recognized hs cheer as a sport now, i feel like thats another factor into why the stunting/tumbling will be further secured.

In regards to fb i get they might be worried but there is nothing they can do besides change fb into flag fb, bc getting tackled is what should be expected. And i get what your saying they might be worried girls falling on the track and injuring their head and i do see that that could happen, but i also dont think stunting/tumbling on the track during sideline would be removed UNLESS there is a large number of serious head injuries/falls across the nation. (which i dont see why that would happen if you'd have proper technique and full stunt group its not like we do extreme stunts on the track, mostly simple fulls, baskets, libs, and a small pyramid) .

i hope im making sense :( Also since theyve recognized hs cheer as a sport now, i feel like thats another factor into why the stunting/tumbling will be further secured.
Unfortunately HS cheer is not considered a sport in every state. And the vast majority of teams have poor technique, so even doing basic stunting and tumbling is dangerous for them.

You're area allows it, but consider how things might change in a few short years. If people are becoming increasingly worried about football players because of its impact on their brain, what do you think is going to happen to the athletes on the sidelines at those football games who are also risking injury by stunting and tumbling? How can they justify allowing cheerleaders to stunt and tumble (on the sidelines, not talking about HS competitive cheerleaders) if they are worried about allowing football players to tackle (and I didn't even touch upon the issue of the poorly designed plastic helmets )?

I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. Football is a collision sport. Collisions happen multiple times every play. Multiple collisions happen to the same person on most plays. These collisions occur at full speed and often head-on (not to be confused with head first or head to head). In head on collisions, energy headed in one direction slams into energy headed in the other direction with limited means of aborbing that energy.

Cheerleading is a contact sport. Contact occurs with every play, but true collisions only occur with error. As an example, even in the failed attempt at a stunt, catching a falling top involves contact. If that contact occurs correctly, the energy can be absorbed with good catching/slowing techniques (same principles that make seatbelts an effective life-saving device).

Also, football helmet design has been much improved in the last 5 years. You have to remember what the helmet design is supposed to prevent: catastrophic injury (skull fractures, traumatic brain bleeds, not concussions). Rule changes and enforcement of penalties is necessary to prevent concussions.

Back