All-Star Opinions Needed On Team Name - Offensive???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheer4evah

Cheer Parent
Apr 20, 2011
CP cheers at a gym where the teams all have gem names. The two level 5 teams are diamonds (white and black). This year the gym is going to have an IOC 6 team and they were talking about names. After tossing around a few different options the owners and coaches decided on Blood Diamond for the team (they wanted to keep the diamond theme for worlds/higher level teams). I am one of the team parents and over the last week I have had a few different parents approach me and tell me that they were worried that the name could be taken as offensive.

I talked to the owners and coaches about it last night, just to bring it to their attention. I'm not sure if they will change it or not, but they did understand the concern and said they would talk about it. As one of the owners said to me, this is a customer service business and they in no way want to offend anyone.

I know you can't make everyone happy and there will always be someone who is offended by something (my high school mascot was the braves and we couldn't do the tomohawk chop because apparently that wasn't PC), but what is the general concensus about the name - offensive or not??

I don't find it offensive, but I think that over the years cheerleading has desensitized me towards things of this nature. Even though as a 17 year old I don't find it offensive, a parent of an athlete on a tiny/youth team may find it offensive. I think it just depends on your area and who the team will be coming across over the season if that makes sense.

Totally taken aback at this. Someone obviously doesn't realize that blood diamonds aren't a classification of diamond! It refers to a reprehensible practice of mining in a war zone, in which the finances are used to support some rebel war lord's agenda, child soldiers, slavery, rape of locals, you-name-it. It's an illegal practice, and by naming a team "Blood Diamonds," someone is spewing some massive ignorance.
How about this, let's name a team "Pedophile's Dream All Stars Youth Level 1 Yummy." Nice ring to it. Doesn't mean we support the actions of pedos, though, right?
I don't care if my child is 5 or 20. They will NOT cheer for a team with the name "Blood Diamonds." Disgusting. Watch CNN, or better yet, Frontline. Might learn something.

I wouldn't allow my cp on the team for the reasons Mamarazzi stated. There are many colors of diamonds that they can choose as a name. Blue diamonds,chocolate diamonds,red diamonds,ect..Do some research,find something different..diamonds come in many colors.

@Mamarazzi and @king nailed it. No way would my kids cheer on this team. I worked in jewelry for years (and I even am a certified gemologist - I know, who knew, right!?) and I've studied this extensively. The horror associated with just that phrase is something most people don't really understand. But think of it this way: it's perfectly legal in this country to sell a lot of products that are obtained through awful means (child labor, etc) and still conflict diamonds are absolutely not allowed even into this country, let alone allowed to be marketed and sold. Makes you think about what could possibly be happening to those people that even the dollar-driven people that run the jewelry industry won't accept it, right?

There are many classifications of diamonds with good connotations to them...champagne diamonds, flawless diamonds, etc. Why not go with those?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Well, @mamarazzi @king and @just-a-mom beat me to the punch. Blood Diamond is extremely offensive for all the reasons they mentioned above. Hopefully, this thread will change their ignorance. There are other colored diamonds that they can choose the name from.

As was stated above its way way way offensive, insensitive and just plain silly to name the team, the Blood Diamonds. I mean there are multiple petitions every year just to get the washington redskins to change their name, there is no way that people wouldn't be offended by the name Blood Diamond. there are so many other awesome names to choose from.

Back