All-Star Opposites?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Bothers me, I saw another team fly wrong leg a couple weekends ago and I had a heart attack when they singled down, soooo scary!

When I cheered way back when (okay, circa 2001-ish), my gym flew on the left. I never had an issue with it and was able to adapt fairly well when I moved onto another team that flew right. However, now as a coach, I always make sure my team flies right; I feel like I'd be doing them an injustice - especially to the girls who want to cheer later in life - if I allowed them to fly left.

Personally, I have no real issue with flying left. When I'm watching a routine, it makes no difference to me.

I don't mind teams flying on the opposite leg. The only thing I don't like is the dropping of the body position so they can swing through to double down.

I saw someone kick double the opposite way...now that was weird lol

The little boy on ACE switch kick doubles opposite, toats throes me off lol

A high school team in our area is flying left. Its a new program and I thought their coach was doing a fairly good job until I saw that they are on the opposite leg. They are only doing 2 footed full downs right now (to the left). But there is gonna be a day when their coach realizes that they either need to switch legs, or switch the way they twist. If its a tradition, then fine, work it out. But for a brand new team to be teaching 1 footed twisting the hard way is irresponsible IMO.

A high school team in our area is flying left. Its a new program and I thought their coach was doing a fairly good job until I saw that they are on the opposite leg. They are only doing 2 footed full downs right now (to the left). But there is gonna be a day when their coach realizes that they either need to switch legs, or switch the way they twist. If its a tradition, then fine, work it out. But for a brand new team to be teaching 1 footed twisting the hard way is irresponsible IMO.

I don't know if it's irresponsible. I wouldn't have taught it that way, but that doesn't mean I'm right and (s)he's wrong. Maybe that was way all the flyer's were flexible? I know that sometimes, instead of stretching, teams will just go with the way they are already flexible.

Maybe when it comes time for twisting, they'll twist the correct way (ie dropping body position to swing through) instead of twisting the opposite way. Who's to say they won't switch legs at some point.

I don't know if it's irresponsible. I wouldn't have taught it that way, but that doesn't mean I'm right and (s)he's wrong. Maybe that was way all the flyer's were flexible? I know that sometimes, instead of stretching, teams will just go with the way they are already flexible.

Maybe when it comes time for twisting, they'll twist the correct way (ie dropping body position to swing through) instead of twisting the opposite way. Who's to say they won't switch legs at some point.

this is true. Irresponsible is the wrong word. But she has already taught twisting to the left from 2 footed stunts. IMO it would have been smart to commit to it fully and teach the twist the other way too. That way the technique is still correct. If thats the way your flexible, then by all means go for it. I just think it would make the most sense to twist the "easy" way (ie towards the leg that is up) whichever way it may be.

I don't mind teams flying on the opposite leg. The only thing I don't like is the dropping of the body position so they can swing through to double down.

I saw someone kick double the opposite way...now that was weird lol

I remember watching cheerleader nation and pep club colts and Ryan Martin use to do her kick double like that and it drove me crazy everything I watch either routine.

i just dont like the fact they full down the same way as if you were on your right leg but they are on the left lol ? that'd be so awkward

my old team flew left and twisted right from single legs but twisted left from two legs and kick fulled left, very confusing. My new team def flys right and i just started working with a HS team that i am also making fly right. I guess there's really no right or wrong way but why teach someone opposite from the norm and place them at a disadvantage if they choose to go elsewhere.

Was that really a small senior team? There were way more than 20 girls on that floor.

as long as its does well.. executed well performed well.. it doesnt bother me.. i cant wait to see 5alarm this season!

I don't really mind it until the cradle comes. especially when the flyers drop their leg in order to double

It looks sort of awkward. Whenever they dismount from the scale, it looks funny! idk, just weird to see it after seeing everyone fly on the same leg my whole life.

Back