Owners, Coaches And Athletes. Whose Accountable?!

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by CheerOldie, Dec 2, 2017.

1. njallday

njallday Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    No, actually, it's not. It's an outdated and hurtful term that is no longer used in medicine. You would diagnose the patient with an actual specific diagnosis (such as Down Syndrome, CP, or Autism), or at the very least, "intellectual or developmental (or both) disability."

I don't disagree with your argument about being too sensitive, but you sound like a jerk.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 39
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. OldskoolKYcheercoach

OldskoolKYcheercoach I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I find it in a medical record weekly, it’s not too outdated.

Is jerk acceptable?

3. njallday

njallday Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    There's a reason why there is no longer an ICD-10 code for that... it is no longer used as a diagnosis because it is outdated and we have far better criteria to make far better diagnoses rather than lumping every individual into one category.

And yes, jerk is perfectly acceptable :p

• Shimmy Shimmy x 13
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  4. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    bottom line we are turning a 5 second video into something more than it is. It was an off color remark, yes. But thats all that it was. I dont think we need 5 pages of scolding the athletes....

im sure the athlete who tweeted the video or whatever, didnt expect some cheer anon to drag them through the mud. Its just overkill.

5. SL&AM

SL&AM Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Spontaneous abortion is also a medical term, but would you actually say that to a woman who just miscarried her baby? Probably not, because the word abortion has an entirely different meaning in society and even hearing that word would likely reduce her to tears.

And, I'm not saying that I have a guide or even every answer. At the end of the day equality is unattainable outside of a utopia and I accept that. In every situation there will always be people on each side and no matter how much we change wording or actions, there will always be someone offended. Utopia's are impossible, but your extreme is no better. Why do we have to live in a black and white world? I mean, grey is totally a color and where most of us live. I am no where near perfect, but at least I try to be mindful of my audience. And at the end of the day, trying is better than throwing my hands up in the air and saying, "Oh well, it's always been this way."

We won't see the same side of this conversation, probably a generational difference, so I wish you well and bow out of this debate.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. KPep

KPep Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Are you kidding right now? She is talking about how SN athletes get sad when people look at them weirdly and make comments. How is that related to what you said?

I get it. Everybody in 2017 is offended. But here, we are talking about straight up disrespect to kids who are different. We are not talking about culture appropriation or a bad taste Gigi Gorgeous video. It is face to face disrespect. There is a difference.

Would you go to the SN kids' face and ask why they are offended? Why they are sad? Would you say that's because they are soft as a roll of Charmin?

7. ErinS

ErinS Slow your roll, Sparkle. World Champion GIF Poster

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I don’t think the video was worthy enough running over here with it. I think if you’re truly concerned and/or bothered by the girl’s language, then you would care enough to go to Cheer Athletic’s website, find the appropriate email address and express your concern....because if you truly are concerned then your concern should lie in having the language “corrected” at the source.....not another run of the mill Fierceboard public shaming.

I’m also here to point out that she says “special ed.” She very well may be “special ed”. She more than likely (realistically) has teammates with her on whatever team she’s on that are “special ed”. Heck my niece is in honors classes and as of November is also “special ed”..... so yeah I think ole girl needs to not say things like that and be cognizant of the language she uses...and allows to be posted to social media.

But again send Todd, Tom, Doug, Mark....whatever his name is an email and let him handle it if you think it’s something to be handled. You truly didn’t bring it here to have the problem addressed.

Let’s leave “innocent” messy behavior in 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Alygator

Alygator I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    sorry to bump this up, because there is no relevance at all, but no its not. USA has a huge steroid and doping problem but they won't take the USA out of the Olympics because of the USA is the top donator. I just did a project on this. The Olympics are crazy.

9. Hoosea

Hoosea I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

10. Hoosea

Hoosea I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Nope! My 13 year old daughter sent the video and pictures that she hat gotten from a friend. It’s viral.

11. SharkDad

SharkDad Most Positive, Best Parent '12 Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    shark_dad
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    You’re a coach? I’m failing to see any sense of leadership, coaching, or teaching in anything you’ve posted and I’m glad you never coached my daughter.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 31
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. BBinNCsMom

BBinNCsMom I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Does anyone know if anything ever came of this? Are there any RS parents on the board?

13. ufomom

ufomom I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Music Mixer

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  14. torycf

torycf I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Coming in very late to this-but this fall a very young flyer from Cali left to be on Beatles. As soon as all of this happened, she was was back home on her original team in time for Cheer Alliance. I’m sure her mother yanked her right out of there but I don’t know why she originally left Cali for Beatles. I don’t even think she was there for a month.

Also, with regards to the incident last year with the two Cali girls, I don’t know why both weren’t kicked off but the flyer is now at Louisville and the other is back home in Canada as far as I know.

15. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    No disrespect to you, but this post is almost laughable. All gyms have problems. Some have a very long history of problems that continue to be overlooked and swept under the rug......