All-Star Owners, Coaches And Athletes. Whose Accountable?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My only comments on this:

1. Not surprised.

2. This is far from the only gym with this sort of troubling dynamic.

3. I know this was not at a comp, but I'm reminded of the discussion we have around the partying at Worlds.

I will repeat what I always say, nothing is going to change re: booze until there is a serious injury or death at Worlds to make folks take a look at what is going on.

I would like to think that a serious injury would change people's behavior. But anecdotally, my experience tells me it still won't make the impact needed.

Several years back our family joined a community pool and I noticed that parents simply didn't watch the kids. Then a child had a drowning incident and was airlifted from the pool to a trauma facility. Maybe things changed for a super brief time, but 2 weeks later parents were still ignoring their young children in the pool.

So I'm thinking that a top down approach to intolerance of these types of behaviors would have a greater impact than any reaction to a traumatic event.

THIS AND ALL OF THIS
I have seen a certain gym owner and her parents absolutely ripping this incident apart, and all I can say is - I stayed at the all-star two years in a row for worlds and monitored my kids - particularly on the Monday nights. I witnessed this same gym's athletes in full blown drunk mode. Their parents, coaches and gym owners were nowhere to be found. Their house - along with several other houses - are definitely not in order.
The issues are widespread. Let's not point fingers and call for someone's head while ignoring what's going on with your own gym.
I’m obviously not following the right people . I’ve seen a lot of comments regarding picture and video from cheer parents and cheerleaders but nothing from other gym owners. I’m curious to see if there will be any consequences from outside the gym like usasf or varsity.

I’m obviously not following the right people . I’ve seen a lot of comments regarding picture and video from cheer parents and cheerleaders but nothing from other gym owners. I’m curious to see if there will be any consequences from outside the gym like usasf or varsity.

Same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At minimum couldn't the usasf penalize the gym owner and revoke their usasf member status? Seems like gross negligence to be partying with your athletes regardless of how often it is done or how much people try to normalize it. Teenagers are highly susceptible to influence and you are their coach/leader, do better. This is a bad look for all of cheer if nothing comes from this on the usasf side.

I've had drink with some open level athletes. Granted drinking age here is 18/19 depending on the province. A number of them also coached along side me so the 'power' dynamic was different.

There is no universe in which that picture can be considered appropriate. The video would only be marginally acceptable to me if every single human in it were of legal age, which I strongly doubt considering they're athletes on a senior team.

The problem this industry has, among so many others, is that it is overall very young. Our industry leaders are just now hitting their 40s and 50s and a lot of gym owners are in their 20s or early 30s. So when you have someone who is 21 coaching 18 year olds, it creates a very strange respect and power dynamic.

Who and where are the coaches?! Who is held responsible for this manner?! I am baffled!!

I look at this and I think, what did they *not* feel comfortable posting? Also when you have alcohol involved I think we all know other bad decisions are often made or people are taking advantage of. I hope that isn't the case here but I can't help but wonder, and I am sorry as a parent and in the current environment that my mind goes there. The USASF need to take action against the gym since one of the owners was involved, at a minimum Rockstar should be banned from Worlds this year, but likely for several years. Also Varsity should ban Beatles from both the Majors and any Varsity Brand competition this year.

Last edited:
This makes me so upset on all levels. I really wonder if something will be done. Can’t help but feel if nothing is done is that because they are a big name gym? Would it be different if it was some little no name gym down the street?

This makes me so upset on all levels. I really wonder if something will be done. Can’t help but feel if nothing is done is that because they are a big name gym? Would it be different if it was some little no name gym down the street?

If you don't want this to be swept under the rug, my advice would be to tweet at Varsity and the USASF, and ask others to as well. Also Tweet and call the local new hotlines and try to get them to cover it. The more attention that is put on this the more pressure gets put on the governing body and their biggest event producing member to do something about it.

I firmly believe that the only reason Craig El was indicted was because it received news coverage, and that put pressure on the DA.

THIS AND ALL OF THIS
I have seen a certain gym owner and her parents absolutely ripping this incident apart, and all I can say is - I stayed at the all-star two years in a row for worlds and monitored my kids - particularly on the Monday nights. I witnessed this same gym's athletes in full blown drunk mode. Their parents, coaches and gym owners were nowhere to be found. Their house - along with several other houses - are definitely not in order.
The issues are widespread. Let's not point fingers and call for someone's head while ignoring what's going on with your own gym.
the Worlds problem has being happening for AWHILE. The last year i attended worlds as an athlete(2008) even then there was debauchery and drinking going on. But it was happening behind closed doors in people's rooms.

Putting on my educator hat here.

Parents. Have. To. Stop. Saying:

"Well, Suzie is a junior/senior and she'll be graduating in a year/6 months so whatever."

I hear it so often from parents of older teens re: drinking and it bothers me.

I can guarantee you that those kids who are drunk Worlds weekend have parents who basically say "welp she is graduating in a month and is going to college this fall, go have fun sweetie!"

No.

If you don't want this to be swept under the rug, my advice would be to tweet at Varsity and the USASF, and ask others to as well. Also Tweet and call the local new hotlines and try to get them to cover it. The more attention that is put on this the more pressure gets put on the governing body and their biggest event producing member to do something about it.

I firmly believe that the only reason Craig El was indicted was because it received news coverage, and that put pressure on the DA.

I believe the picture was tweeted to varsity and usasf

I believe the picture was tweeted to varsity and usasf
Yes it was tweeted to Varsity, USASF, and Majors. Nevertheless, the guy's picture remains on The Majors Twitter timeline during filming at the Rockstar facility.

Yes it was tweeted to Varsity, USASF, and Majors. Nevertheless, the guy's picture remains on The Majors Twitter timeline during filming at the Rockstar facility.

My point was that is need to be sent over and over by many different people if you want they to actually do something. My concern is when you are dealing with a high profile adult, the kids end up getting in trouble but the adult gets off. Don't get me wrong the kids should face repercussions as well, but the "trusted" adult who lets this happen should take the point of the spear so to speak.

Frankly if this was receiving real media coverage they would start contacting former athletes who are now adults and getting a record of how often this has happened, what else goes on at these "parties" etc...

the dancing video by girls in ece twerking and dancing in their unis was inappropriate for the industry image

Back