All-Star Paid Bid Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NHcheermom

Cheer Parent
Mar 25, 2016
Does anyone know how the paid bid process works? The info I found just says a credit will be applied to each roster'd athlete. Does that mean the EP pays varsity directly or do they give it to the gym? And what happens if a team upgrades from a wildcard or at large after they have already paid in full? I'm just curious. My CP has a bid and of course we're still working for a paid bid but I never thought of the logistics of what happens with a paid bid until someone asked me. I figured where better to get info than the board :)

It covers your registration and as far as we have seen is paid directly to Varisty. The bid covers one of three options. You can choose to stay at the Allstar Resorts which entails the atheletes room, hopper pass, comp registration, and travel about the resort being covered and paid in full. This value is based off the price for a quad room, or four athletes to one room. You can pay for parents to stay in the room, but they are not included on the value of the bid. You may choose to stay at the Coronado (I believe) which is covered about 80% by the max value of the bid and thus you would be responsible for paying the remaining balance. The last option is the commuter pass which pays your registration and hopper pass only. The last option would be the least "bang for you buck" with the paid bid as you do not recieve the difference of what the cost would be to stay on site to use towards any other costs.

It covers your registration and as far as we have seen is paid directly to Varisty. The bid covers one of three options. You can choose to stay at the Allstar Resorts which entails the atheletes room, hopper pass, comp registration, and travel about the resort being covered and paid in full. This value is based off the price for a quad room, or four athletes to one room. You can pay for parents to stay in the room, but they are not included on the value of the bid. You may choose to stay at the Coronado (I believe) which is covered about 80% by the max value of the bid and thus you would be responsible for paying the remaining balance. The last option is the commuter pass which pays your registration and hopper pass only. The last option would be the least "bang for you buck" with the paid bid as you do not recieve the difference of what the cost would be to stay on site to use towards any other costs.
So what happens if you've already paid in full? For example: you win a bid in dec/jan...you're paid in full by middle of march but then you earn a paid bid in April....do they reimburse you for what you've already paid?

So what happens if you've already paid in full? For example: you win a bid in dec/jan...you're paid in full by middle of march but then you earn a paid bid in April....do they reimburse you for what you've already paid?
Your gym should credit the difference to your account.

I am not really sure what the correct answer here is as we have no experience with it. Our one team going on a paid got theirs at our first bid comp of the season. Our two going on WC's got theirs at our last bid event of the season. I would asssume that Varsity would credit the money back. I am not sure whether that would go directly to you or to the gym for them to distribute. I personally would think it would go back to the payee directly since you log in to the varsity portal to pay on your own directly. But this is Varisty so who knows lol

Here is a question.....is it common for a gym who has summit teams with full paid bids to charge new athletes that are taking the place of crossovers that can't be on the team because of the crossover rule for athletes also competing at worlds, the full cost of the summit bid registration plus require them to get accommodations on their own. From my understanding from a source at Varsity, the summit bid follows the team not the athlete. Wouldn't that be considered unethical and a way for a gym to profit off a paid bid?

Here is a question.....is it common for a gym who has summit teams with full paid bids to charge new athletes that are taking the place of crossovers that can't be on the team because of the crossover rule, the full cost of the summit bid registration plus require them to get accommodations on their own. From my understanding from a source at Varsity, the summit bid follows the team not the athlete. Wouldn't that be considered unethical and a way for a gym to profit off a paid bid?

We are taking an athlete from one of my WC teams on to our team with a Paid bid. We was an athlete that had to quit off the paid bid for various reasons. That athelete from the WC bid team now only has to pay the $100 crossover fee as opposed to the full price since she is on the other teams Paid. The bid does follow the team not the athlete. So if an athlete were on Senior 1 and Senior 4, and assuming Senior 1 has Paid and Senior 4 has AL. If the athlete came of the paid team to compete with the AL team she would have to pay the full price of summit.

To answer the ethics question, I am not sure how a gym would profit off making a new athlete to the team pay for Summit when the team has a paid bid. The gym itself recieves no money from the bid. It is all given directly to Varsity. Parents pay on their own accounts to Varsity if they have any costs with them. Other than getting athlete profiles set up, the gym actually has very little to do with the registration process for Summit.

We are taking an athlete from one of my WC teams on to our team with a Paid bid. We was an athlete that had to quit off the paid bid for various reasons. That athelete from the WC bid team now only has to pay the $100 crossover fee as opposed to the full price since she is on the other teams Paid. The bid does follow the team not the athlete. So if an athlete were on Senior 1 and Senior 4, and assuming Senior 1 has Paid and Senior 4 has AL. If the athlete came of the paid team to compete with the AL team she would have to pay the full price of summit.

To answer the ethics question, I am not sure how a gym would profit off making a new athlete to the team pay for Summit when the team has a paid bid. The gym itself recieves no money from the bid. It is all given directly to Varsity. Parents pay on their own accounts to Varsity if they have any costs with them. Other than getting athlete profiles set up, the gym actually has very little to do with the registration process for Summit.
Well that's my whole question. What if it was an athlete that came to the gym from another gym specifically to be on a summit team, and that team had a paid bid. The gym then tells that athlete that they have to pay the summit fee to the gym....NOT to varsity directly even though the team has a paid bid. Now multiply that athlete times 30 across the board at $295 a piece. If the team was on a paid bid and an athlete ended up on that team they would be rostered to it and no money would be due varsity because of the paid bid.

If you paid varsity directly, varsity will refund you.
We have plenty experience with this. The money is not given to the gym to give back to you but you directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well that's my whole question. What if it was an athlete that came to the gym from another gym specifically to be on a summit team, and that team had a paid bid. The gym then tells that athlete that they have to pay the summit fee to the gym....NOT to varsity directly even though the team has a paid bid. Now multiply that athlete times 30 across the board at $295 a piece. If the team was on a paid bid and an athlete ended up on that team they would be rostered to it and no money would be due varsity because of the paid bid.

This seems shady, first the fact and athlete from another gym is being brought in to compete on a summit team, as this will require a release from previous gym at the very least(at least from what I understand), second this is our 3rd year in a row at the summit, we have never paid the gym for the Summit, we always pay Varsity. That being said I believe the gym has the option of paying upfront for all the athletes, and then having their athletes pay them.

Since you pay Varsity direction in this situation, the gym does 'appear' to be profiting off the new athletes if they're requiring them to pay the gym the summit fee.

If you paid varsity directly, varsity will refund you.
We have plenty experience with this. The money is not given to the gym to give back to you but you directly.

I may be wrong but, your gym seems unique in the sense that you often pay Varsity directly. In most cases I've heard of, and experienced personally, the members pay the gym the at large fees and the gym pays Varsity. In our case, when a paid bid is won and fees have already been paid, the gym then credits our accounts. Obviously, it can be done in different ways and the OP should probably inquire with their gym.

Last we had 2 athletes (sisters) that had to quit after NCA they were moving because of military. One was on Y1 that had an AL bid and the other was S4 that had a paid bid.

We have a master roster list for each team where we manage the gym registrations. When we change rosetted athletes for the team I have to go in and say drop Susie from S4 and sally from y1.

We then had 2 brand new athletes come in and take their places. We added each brand new athlete to the respective roster in the summit registration list.

The one with the AL bid had to log in and pay, the one with the paid had to log in and just pay for the adult in the room. The paid bid was credited to that athlete from the moment I updated it with varsity.
The athletes parents that replaced these kids paid everything directly to varsity.

This seems shady, first the fact and athlete from another gym is being brought in to compete on a summit team, as this will require a release from previous gym at the very least(at least from what I understand), second this is our 3rd year in a row at the summit, we have never paid the gym for the Summit, we always pay Varsity. That being said I believe the gym has the option of paying upfront for all the athletes, and then having their athletes pay them.
I can confirm that releases are not required for summit. Secondly, I'm certain that most gyms won't pay upfront for fear of not getting that money back and the bookkeeping nightmare it can bring. Yes, it does seem shady.

Back