All-Star Paid Bid Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I may be wrong but, your gym seems unique in the sense that you often pay Varsity directly. In most cases I've heard of, and experienced personally, the members pay the gym the at large fees and the gym pays Varsity. In our case, when a paid bid is won and fees have already been paid, the gym then credits our accounts. Obviously, it can be done in different ways and the OP should probably inquire with their gym.
We definitely paid varsity directly through the varsity portal....I didn't know it could be done a different way...good to know

I may be wrong but, your gym seems unique in the sense that you often pay Varsity directly. In most cases I've heard of, and experienced personally, the members pay the gym the at large fees and the gym pays Varsity. In our case, when a paid bid is won and fees have already been paid, the gym then credits our accounts. Obviously, it can be done in different ways and the OP should probably inquire with their gym.

Not in the case of Summit, you log into the Varsity Portal and pay for it yourself.

I will confirm that it's no longer my gym. I think the new norm per varsity is that the parents are required to go to the summit registration page and pay the commuter fee or other fees if they are purchasing the housing package. That is what I was told by our current gym for our at large bid and that's what we did.

Last we had 2 athletes (sisters) that had to quit after NCA they were moving because of military. One was on Y1 that had an AL bid and the other was S4 that had a paid bid.

We have a master roster list for each team where we manage the gym registrations. When we change rosetted athletes for the team I have to go in and say drop Susie from S4 and sally from y1.

We then had 2 brand new athletes come in and take their places. We added each brand new athlete to the respective roster in the summit registration list.

The one with the AL bid had to log in and pay, the one with the paid had to log in and just pay for the adult in the room. The paid bid was credited to that athlete from the moment I updated it with varsity.
The athletes parents that replaced these kids paid everything directly to varsity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So paying the gym the money seems a little off, especially for a team with a paid bid?

So paying the gym the money seems a little off, especially for a team with a paid bid?

Yes, are you sure that's what you are paying the gym directly for?

Like for instance our gym brings our choreographers back after NCA, orders us summit practice wear, summit shirts, has music updated with changes made to routine like sound effects and so on.

So we tell the parents at the beginning of the season once your athlete has a bid to the summit you will be charged a $200 summit fee. This summit fee is paid to cover all the things I just mentioned. Whether you have a paid bid or not this summit fee goes toward the purchase of all those things and goes to they gym. Someone could be confused by the wording of it and think they are paying summit fees when their team has a paid bid[emoji51]

If you paid varsity directly, varsity will refund you.
We have plenty experience with this. The money is not given to the gym to give back to you but you directly.

Thank you! I almost tagged you in my original reply. Figured you would have plenty of help/exp. This is our first year so we are learning as we go haha.

Like for instance our gym brings our choreographers back after NCA, orders us summit practice wear, summit shirts, has music updated with changes made to routine like sound effects and so on.

So we tell the parents at the beginning of the season once your athlete has a bid to the summit you will be charged a $200 summit fee. This summit fee is paid to cover all the things I just mentioned. Whether you have a paid bid or not this summit fee goes toward the purchase of all those things and goes to they gym. Someone could be confused by the wording of it and think they are paying summit fees when their team has a paid bid[emoji51]

Yes....I'm 100% positive. It's broken down and specifically says summit registration fee $295.

Not in the case of Summit, you log into the Varsity Portal and pay for it yourself.
@cheerguy1

Again, that is not the way it works at our gym. Cp's have won at large and paid bids in the past. I just paid our at large fee to our gym, they are very upfront about fees, and I trust the gym.

Not necessarily.

What is included in a paid bid package?
Each qualifying team member will receive a credit of the quad rate towards the Summit Travel Package. You will receive this discount only for those athletes that actually performed on the team at the time you received the bid.

Paid Bid travel package:
  • 4 nights of hotel accommodations (Quad room) at a Disney Value Resort (If an athlete is on a paid bid team, the athlete can stay in a room with their parents. The athlete would be credited the Quad Room Rate)
  • 4 day Walt Disney World® Park HOPPER® Pass(with 3 days admissions into the ESPN Wide World of Sports® Complex)
  • Bus Transportation to all scheduled events
  • DME Transportation to/from the airport
  • Celebration Party wristband

Yes 100% sure. It's broken down and says summit registration fee $295. even for a team with a paid bid.

@cheerguy1

Again, that is not the way it works at our gym. Cp's have won at large and paid bids in the past. I just paid our at large fee to our gym, they are very upfront about fees, and I trust the gym.

Not necessarily.

Each qualifying team member will receive a credit of the quad rate towards the Summit Travel Package. You will receive this discount only for those athletes that actually performed on the team at the time you received the bid.

Paid Bid travel package:
  • 4 nights of hotel accommodations (Quad room) at a Disney Value Resort (If an athlete is on a paid bid team, the athlete can stay in a room with their parents. The athlete would be credited the Quad Room Rate)
  • 4 day Walt Disney World® Park HOPPER® Pass(with 3 days admissions into the ESPN Wide World of Sports® Complex)
  • Bus Transportation to all scheduled events
  • DME Transportation to/from the airport
  • Celebration Party wristband
Where did you get that information about the discount only applying to those that competed when the team got the bid? The bid follows the team regardless of the athletes and that information, specifically the sentence you highlighted is no where on the summit website. This contradicts everything that has been said throughout this thread about how paid bids are handled.

Where did you get that information about the discount only applying to those that competed when the team got the bid? The bid follows the team regardless of the athletes and that information, specifically the sentence you highlighted is no where on the summit website. This contradicts everything that has been said throughout this thread about how paid bids are handled.

https://www.varsityallstar.com/summit-faq

Then scroll down to:

There are many aspects that could affect the resasoning behind the process of payment in question. The norm from what I have seen and heard does seem to be that the parents pay directly to Varsity themselves. This would seem to be the easiest for the gym logistically as they are now not finacially wrapped up in payments and refunds. There are a couple situations that would deem easier for the gym to collect and pay themselves. I know some gyms who are for sure summit bound will actually charge a monthly fee for "Summit Registration" to break up the cost into small payments. Should the team earn a WC or AL bid the fees were already collected and the gym applies them theirselves. Should a team earn a paid bid the gym would then refund those fees back to the individual accounts. So this may be a situation where the gym chooses to pay the fees as opposed to parents.

Also I like to pretend to be naive and think gyms aren't trying to be shady and have parents and athletes best intentions in mind. So with that line of thinking it is quite possible that the wording you are seeing is that the gym allocates what the cost of Summit will be in their handbook at the beginning of the year. Thus allowing parents the time to plan, prepare, and pay as it is convenient for them. This may create a situation where a team earns a paid bid or earns no bid and a need for a refund on the gyms behalf is needed. The idea of a gym charging a new athlete to the team on a paid bid for registration seems to be a unique situation that the majority of gyms would not fall into.

https://www.varsityallstar.com/summit-faq

Then scroll down to:
I see it now but that makes no sense. The EP just sends a check to varsity for the team based on the number of athletes that competed. So are you telling me that varsity now pockets the extra money if a team replaces 25% of it's team per the guidelines. That the new 7 or 8 athletes have to pay the full cost and varsity just walks away with $569 per athlete that was replaced?

The part above that said you will receive that discount only for those athletes that performed on the team.

I read it differently. Years ago at our gym we have an athlete not perform due to injury. We did not fill her spot with a fill in because it wasn't super necessary all stunts and pyramids could still go up.
Anyways that team earned a paid bid that competition. But we could not get the paid for her because we had 26 on the floor and not 27. So her mom had to pay, we learned the lesson and won't do that again.

So maybe they just meant the numbered of rostered athletes? Idk

But I can confirm since I'm in charge of managing the gym one and I'm the one who had to roster every single athlete in our gym so they could go in and register and pay. The few athlete changes this year the bid did transfer with the team.

We moved some kids from our r5 that had a paid bid to the worlds team that was paid. Once we dropped those from our r5 I rostered the replacement athletes. One who came back from a previous season, not from a team in our gym. I added her to the roster after deleting the others and I can see she was applied the paid bid credit.

There are many aspects that could affect the resasoning behind the process of payment in question. The norm from what I have seen and heard does seem to be that the parents pay directly to Varsity themselves. This would seem to be the easiest for the gym logistically as they are now not finacially wrapped up in payments and refunds. There are a couple situations that would deem easier for the gym to collect and pay themselves. I know some gyms who are for sure summit bound will actually charge a monthly fee for "Summit Registration" to break up the cost into small payments. Should the team earn a WC or AL bid the fees were already collected and the gym applies them theirselves. Should a team earn a paid bid the gym would then refund those fees back to the individual accounts. So this may be a situation where the gym chooses to pay the fees as opposed to parents.

Also I like to pretend to be naive and think gyms aren't trying to be shady and have parents and athletes best intentions in mind. So with that line of thinking it is quite possible that the wording you are seeing is that the gym allocates what the cost of Summit will be in their handbook at the beginning of the year. Thus allowing parents the time to plan, prepare, and pay as it is convenient for them. This may create a situation where a team earns a paid bid or earns no bid and a need for a refund on the gyms behalf is needed. The idea of a gym charging a new athlete to the team on a paid bid for registration seems to be a unique situation that the majority of gyms would not fall into.
I can assure you that no discussion of summit fees or worlds fees for that matter are discussed nor outlined in the new season packet at the beginning of the season.

Back