All-Star Paid Bid Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The part above that said you will receive that discount only for those athletes that performed on the team.

I read it differently. Years ago at our gym we have an athlete not perform due to injury. We did not fill her spot with a fill in because it wasn't super necessary all stunts and pyramids could still go up.
Anyways that team earned a paid bid that competition. But we could not get the paid for her because we had 26 on the floor and not 27. So her mom had to pay, we learned the lesson and won't do that again.

So maybe they just meant the numbered of rostered athletes? Idk

But I can confirm since I'm in charge of managing the gym one and I'm the one who had to roster every single athlete in our gym so they could go in and register and pay. The few athlete changes this year the bid did transfer with the team.

We moved some kids from our r5 that had a paid bid to the worlds team that was paid. Once we dropped those from our r5 I rostered the replacement athletes. One who came back from a previous season, not from a team in our gym. I added her to the roster after deleting the others and I can see she was applied the paid bid credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree, I do feel it has more to do with the number of athletes on the floor at the time the bid was awarded. That way teams that were under the max amount of athletes for that team size couldn't come back later and add more athletes and expect the EP to give more money.

I see it now but that makes no sense. The EP just sends a check to varsity for the team based on the number of athletes that competed. So are you telling me that varsity now pockets the extra money if a team replaces 25% of it's team per the guidelines. That the new 7 or 8 athletes have to pay the full cost and varsity just walks away with $569 per athlete that was replaced?

Keep in mind the EP is pretty much varsity anyways. The EP doesn't really send over a check for 569$ per athlete or whatever. Because if athletes aren't staying 4 days or aren't staying on property the amount they get credit for is less.so varsity isn't really pocketing money, it's likely all the money from the same place.

Keep in mind the EP is pretty much varsity anyways. The EP doesn't really send over a check for 569$ per athlete or whatever. Because if athletes aren't staying 4 days or aren't staying on property the amount they get credit for is less.so varsity isn't really pocketing money, it's likely all the money from the same place.

Once again though...unusual for a gym to charge a "summit registration fee" to an athlete on a team with a paid bid.

@cheerguy1

Again, that is not the way it works at our gym. Cp's have won at large and paid bids in the past. I just paid our at large fee to our gym, they are very upfront about fees, and I trust the gym.

Interesting. I had to help a friend of mine get her portal squared away last year because she needed to pay, the gym didn't give super clear instructions and she was told there was no other options to pay. It seems the gym just didn't want to deal with it if that's the case. She was under the impression that the gym wasn't allowed to be in charge of the payment. They went on an AL bid.

Interesting. I had to help a friend of mine get her portal squared away last year because she needed to pay, the gym didn't give super clear instructions and she was told there was no other options to pay. It seems the gym just didn't want to deal with it if that's the case. She was under the impression that the gym wasn't allowed to be in charge of the payment. They went on an AL bid.

My kids have gone every year except one (both at large and paid) and it has always been done through the gym. My guess was for the exact reason you stated above.

It is clear the OP is feeling the gym is doing something underhanded but, before he assumes and jumps to conclusions, I think his questions would be best answered by his gym. It's impossible for a gym to secretly pad Summit fees, the Varsity site is very clear on what it does and does not cover, and how much is received per athlete. A simple "What does the Summit registration fee cover?' to the appropriate person at his gym could answer his question better than us.

My CP's gym has handled Summit like that previously... Its a pain for the gym but I can see why some gyms would choose to do it that way. The only difference is that the gym has to pick up any passes et al.

Yes....I'm 100% positive. It's broken down and specifically says summit registration fee $295.

Could it be that the athletes being replaced are on another team with a paid bid? In that case I assume varsity only credits the athlete with one paid bid. So if you're on s4 and j4 both paid have a paid bid and someone is taking your place on s4 then the replacement athlete would have to pay the full amount, correct?

Could it be that the athletes being replaced are on another team with a paid bid? In that case I assume varsity only credits the athlete with one paid bid. So if you're on s4 and j4 both paid have a paid bid and someone is taking your place on s4 then the replacement athlete would have to pay the full amount, correct?

Don't believe so. The bid follows the team. So if team A and B both have 32 members each team is allotted a maximum of $18208 for housing and registration. Neither team is being given a kick back for the 32nd member who was on two teams. Varsity is just catching a break on one athlete. If the athlete is replaced off one of the teams they would still receive paid benefit on their single team and the new athlete taking the spot would be covered by the maximum allowance of $18208 that was given with the initial earning of the bid.

Don't believe so. The bid follows the team. So if team A and B both have 32 members each team is allotted a maximum of $18208 for housing and registration. Neither team is being given a kick back for the 32nd member who was on two teams. Varsity is just catching a break on one athlete. If the athlete is replaced off one of the teams they would still receive paid benefit on their single team and the new athlete taking the spot would be covered by the maximum allowance of $18208 that was given with the initial earning of the bid.
Got it. Thanks.

@FamousMatty @Lablover

https://www.varsityallstar.com/summit-faq

What is included in a paid bid package?

Each qualifying team member will receive a credit of the quad rate towards the Summit Travel Package. You will receive this discount only for those athletes that actually performed on the team at the time you received the bid.

And, from this website:
https://varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/AllStar/17/Summit/Summit_Travelpack_2017.pdf

PAID BIDS:

Up to $569 credit will be given to each athlete on the Summit travel package.

Based on the way it is worded by Varsity, it is stating the bid is awarded to the individuals that performed and NOT the team number performed on the floor. From the Varsity website on paid bid members crossing over:

Participants must pay an additional registration fee for each additional team performance. However, if there is an athlete that is on a Paid bid team and crossing over to another Paid Bid team there will be no crossover fee applied.

@catlady While the wordings on the sections do not seem to line I up, I can assure you from current personal experience that the bid does in fact follow the team and not the individual athlete. We have made the very switch in question within the the last week. An athlete was previously showing a balance of $469 ($569 minus the $100 downpayment). They have since been switched to the Paid bid team and now show a 0 balance without making any further payments.

Once the bid is registered the profile is created for the team on the Varsity Portal. This is where the parents will go to pay. So the team in essence has been registered for a travel package and each athlete on that package is given a credit (as is worded in the second section). The package is created and then the changes can be made as needed so that "each athlete in the Summit travel package" is accounted and paid for. So as long as the substitutions do not exceed the allowed 25% of original team then the team is still covered in full including the newly added athletes.

@catlady While the wordings on the sections do not seem to line I up, I can assure you from current personal experience that the bid does in fact follow the team and not the individual athlete. We have made the very switch in question within the the last week. An athlete was previously showing a balance of $469 ($569 minus the $100 downpayment). They have since been switched to the Paid bid team and now show a 0 balance without making any further payments.

Once the bid is registered the profile is created for the team on the Varsity Portal. This is where the parents will go to pay. So the team in essence has been registered for a travel package and each athlete on that package is given a credit (as is worded in the second section). The package is created and then the changes can be made as needed so that "each athlete in the Summit travel package" is accounted and paid for. So as long as the substitutions do not exceed the allowed 25% of original team then the team is still covered in full including the newly added athletes.

Switches can definitely be made, that's in the packet, as well (there's a fee of $50 after April 12). But, with that said, I would like to see the actual credit or charge back to the gym. Why does it matter? From a parent/customer standpoint, if my child paid their comp fee and earns a bid at that comp with their team and is a member at a gym that replaces athletes to sandbag, I don't want my child's replacement or the gym to be rewarded with their money.

Switches can definitely be made, that's in the packet, as well (there's a fee of $50 after April 12). But, with that said, I would like to see the actual credit or charge back to the gym. Why does it matter? From a parent/customer standpoint, if my child paid their comp fee and earns a bid at that comp with their team and is a member at a gym that replaces athletes to sandbag, I don't want my child's replacement or the gym to be rewarded with their money.

I may be misunderstanding you here, so I apologize if I am reading incorrectly. So what I took from this was that if your child is on two teams who both earn a paid bid but they only actually compete on one of those teams, you would want a refund from the gym for the bid money earned that you did not actually pay yourself? Like I said I could be totally wrong here with how I comprehended that.

I may be misunderstanding you here, so I apologize if I am reading incorrectly. So what I took from this was that if your child is on two teams who both earn a paid bid but they only actually compete on one of those teams, you would want a refund from the gym for the bid money earned that you did not actually pay yourself? Like I said I could be totally wrong here with how I comprehended that.

My response had nothing to do with Paid bids, @Lablover question did and I quoted Varsity's site stating an athlete receives up to $569. So, based on the way that is stated in the packet an athlete would only receive a $569 credit but, if crossing over to another paid bid team they would not have to pay the crossover fee (crossing to an at large team they would pay the crossover fee).

I'm only basing this on my own retail buying experience but, if a vendor states it is only going to give you money for specific items (in this case people), it allots money for those specific items (people) and nothing more. While I understand your athletes account went down to $0, that's the gym's accounting and has nothing to do with what Varsity is actually paying for, or if credited up front, what they are charging back if changes are made. I don't see Varsity, or any other vendor for that matter, not wanting to collect money for items (in this case people) it did not say it would provide a credit for. From a customer perspective, this also prevents a gym from deciding they can replace 25% of the team with higher level athletes and be paid for doing so.

Back