All-Star Parent Education Sessions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2011
Do any of your gyms do any sessions for parent education? Things like what the levels are, what skills are called etc? We're thinking of doing some next year and were wondering if anyone else does. We often get asked the same questions all year and thinking that this could help us.

Also, if you're a parent, what kind of 30-45 minute sessions would you like to see?

Our gym said they will be doing a 101 session soon. I assume it will mostly consist of explaining levels, scoring, and team selection process.

Communication is one of the most important aspects of any business and poor communication/parents not understanding things is easily the #1 complaint I hear from parents at CP's current gym.

As as parent I would be interested to better understand the difference between levels but I don't really need to know what particular skills are called. The most important information session imo would be one where gym policies are explained. Think of it as an orientation session at the beginning of the season. (these are the costs, the gym calendar, the comp schedule, fundraising opportunities and responsibilities. ) If you've been taking notes of the questions that parents have asked repeatedly then you are already ahead of the game. Put everything you say into writing as well. I'm probably not going to bring a pen and paper to a parent meeting, but I could see myself going back and reviewing a handout later.

I have been advocating these for years. I really wish more gyms would educate on levels, progressions, and score sheets. I think it would cut out a LOT of parent drama.

I think every parent should be handed a level progression chart when their kid signs up, and referred to a website to view what a QUALITY version of that skill looks like. They should know exactly what is required for their child to progress from tumbling class to tumbling class and team to team.

Scoring should be explained at the first parent meeting of the season for each team. The parents should be told what skills will be necessary to score in each range and what the plan is to get the team there.

If gyms did these 2 things at least 75% of parent drama could be eliminated.

Communication is one of the most important aspects of any business and poor communication/parents not understanding things is easily the #1 complaint I hear from parents at CP's current gym.

As as parent I would be interested to better understand the difference between levels but I don't really need to know what particular skills are called. The most important information session imo would be one where gym policies are explained. Think of it as an orientation session at the beginning of the season. (these are the costs, the gym calendar, the comp schedule, fundraising opportunities and responsibilities. ) If you've been taking notes of the questions that parents have asked repeatedly then you are already ahead of the game. Put everything you say into writing as well. I'm probably not going to bring a pen and paper to a parent meeting, but I could see myself going back and reviewing a handout later.
We usually have a parent meeting more like what you're describing rather than levels, scoresheet, etc. at the beginning of the season.

They also list the age ranges and basic level tumbling in the tryout packet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Old gym & Current gym. levels breakdown, skills requirements, etc was put in packet. Then a wall-size chart was put in the lobby so there was no question.

Do any of your gyms do any sessions for parent education? Things like what the levels are, what skills are called etc? We're thinking of doing some next year and were wondering if anyone else does. We often get asked the same questions all year and thinking that this could help us.

Also, if you're a parent, what kind of 30-45 minute sessions would you like to see?

We had our first one ever at CP's gym that she has been at for five years. I never knew so many people questioned the age, i.e., being 10 and making Y2 and not J2 or S2. I LOVED Y2! My CP aged out of youth. I seriously loved the "youth" years. I didn't think I was going to find much use for the parent education meeting hanging out here since 2011 and on CP's 7th season but it was very educational, and it was a good line of communication to the parents and they went over that someone may not have the tumble skills for a level above them, your CP may be closer to those skills, i.e., BHS, but your CP is a flyer and they need a backspot for L3. Just thought if the parents were paying attention and they understood what they were saying, it was a good meeting.

Travel expectations are the main thing that I would clearly outline. For example, they are expected to arrive at travel competitions at a specific time and make sure they understand that that arrival time means that they should ready to practice. They should give themselves enough time to check-in, eat, or what not BEFORE. It does not mean that your flight should be landing at the airport at that point. It does not mean that they should be changing when they get to the meeting spot or grabbing a something to eat. Also, try to make it clear what travel days are and if practice is being held that Monday or Tuesday after a comp. Many parents don't think about upcoming practices when they rush to book that airfare that is half the price on a Tuesday. If they know that they need to be back by a certain date, hopefully, they will book accordingly.

Stress that everything can change on a dime...and tell them to be prepared for it. Remind them how your communication flow happens during the week leading up to and while at a comp. This is essential for teams with newbies or when a gym is attending new competitions, especially if you have younger teams where parents are nervous about them being in an arena.

Another thing that should be stressed, imo, is letting them know how important it is to have cash available on your credit card when Stay to Play is going to be announced. If they are expecting rooms to go live during a certain week, they will probably get better accommodations. Happy parents makes for a happy gym.

Finally, if you use team parents, explain their role in the beginning. One thing that should be clarified is "late texts or absenses" be sent to coach or the team parent etc..

Oh and one last thing. Make sure that everyone is aware of what your main form of communication is (facebook groups/ Group Me / texts etc and that you expect them to keep up to date on the postings etc. .

One thing I would suggest is not to overwhelm parents with so much info. Too much info could be just as bad as little to no info.

ETA: just to clarify. Too much info in one session could be overwhelming. I never meant that gyms should withhold any info from parents.

Last edited:
Actually, as a parent, I'd like to learn more about judging and scoring. Many of the things mentioned are things that are requirements to participate in the sport. I want to actually learn about the sport itself!

One thing I would suggest is not to overwhelm parents with so much info. Too much info could be just as bad as little to no info.

I think this is the philosophy that gets gyms into trouble with parent expectations . Controlling access to information breeds distrust. The information should be available if parents want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suggested this to the gym we just left. I wanted to be educated on the score sheet and want constitutes what. What does Level 3 do different than level 4? Those kinds of things. This would be a different meeting than the what to expect from the season (travel, comp dates, attendance, etc).

I think this is the philosophy that gets gyms into trouble with parent expectations . Controlling access to information breeds distrust. The information should be available if parents want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh I didn't mean it that way. Parent need to be informed with whatever info they need. No way did I mean gyms should withhold info from parents. I just meant give a whole lot of info in one session could overwhelm parents.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back