All-Star Parent Education Sessions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have so many new parents each year and they truly don't know enough about the sport to know what questions they should be asking. They often learn by talking fellow parents, but that info is very hit and miss for accuracy. I'd love it if our gym covered topics like: general placement explanations and how they put together the strongest teams at each level; the differences in each level and each age group as well as how they pick who will fly, base, main base; travel, what makes a strong routine; deductions; how to be a supportive parent without being a crazy cheer parent; when to arrive at comps and why you have to be there so early; hands on hair tutorial BEFORE the first competition when all the new parents realize they don't know what they're doing; snacks to bring; what a comp day will look like for the cheerleader and tips for the best possible day for parents; parent and kid behavior/expectations at competitions; carpool connections; best way to wash uniforms and store bows; Disney/Summit needs it's own info session to figure out travel, hotels, park passes, etc.

We have so many new parents each year and they truly don't know enough about the sport to know what questions they should be asking. They often learn by talking fellow parents, but that info is very hit and miss for accuracy. I'd love it if our gym covered topics like: general placement explanations and how they put together the strongest teams at each level; the differences in each level and each age group as well as how they pick who will fly, base, main base; travel, what makes a strong routine; deductions; how to be a supportive parent without being a crazy cheer parent; when to arrive at comps and why you have to be there so early; hands on hair tutorial BEFORE the first competition when all the new parents realize they don't know what they're doing; snacks to bring; what a comp day will look like for the cheerleader and tips for the best possible day for parents; parent and kid behavior/expectations at competitions; carpool connections; best way to wash uniforms and store bows; Disney/Summit needs it's own info session to figure out travel, hotels, park passes, etc.

If your gym does not cover those topics with new parents in a general meeting, some of the topics are easily covered in a team parent meeting (arranged by the parents) that includes the coach. For example, a great time to cover the topic of general placement and expectations is during the first parent meeting after team placement. Before the parent show-off and before kicking off the competition season is an ideal time to have a parent meeting to discuss comp day logistics, scoring a routine, deductions, how to be supportive, etc.

We're thinking of doing a 30 min session once a month on different topics through out the season.

We're a new program with a lot of inexperienced parents who don't know names of air positions etc.
Be a sweetheart and post a video of each 30 minute session on YouTube. The cheer world will thank you. Priceless.

Wow that's a lot but I agree with most. I really think more info to parents will lessen the need for bad feelings, gossip, etc.

Our coach gave some good info at the parent meeting at the start of the season. She explained what level the team was, and if Suzy gets the next level skill she can't compete it in the routine (duh!). Also, what the coach needs to do to maximize the score sheet, how kids are sometimes where they are because of where they need to go (ie the best jumper might not be in the front), how kids might get a "better" spot in the routine if they impress her during practice, the routine is always changing, etc.

I felt it helped a lot to hear it even though I probably knew most of it.

Wow that's a lot but I agree with most. I really think more info to parents will lessen the need for bad feelings, gossip, etc.

Our coach gave some good info at the parent meeting at the start of the season. She explained what level the team was, and if Suzy gets the next level skill she can't compete it in the routine (duh!). Also, what the coach needs to do to maximize the score sheet, how kids are sometimes where they are because of where they need to go (ie the best jumper might not be in the front), how kids might get a "better" spot in the routine if they impress her during practice, the routine is always changing, etc.

I felt it helped a lot to hear it even though I probably knew most of it.

Yes! Those are all good things, too. Parents see their kid with great jumps get put on the back or the side and the kid and the parent are unhappy, yet they don't think about the fact that she's a back base and has to get to a new spot on the mat immediately after jumps are done.

We have a monthly webinar or in person round table discussion on the "topic of the month." In the summer we focus on the score sheet. We want our parents to be as educated as they can be about the sport. As we gear up for the season, the webinars will switch to a competition focus. Parents can also submit topics they want to know more about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a monthly webinar or in person round table discussion on the "topic of the month." In the summer we focus on the score sheet. We want our parents to be as educated as they can be about the sport. As we gear up for the season, the webinars will switch to a competition focus. Parents can also submit topics they want to know more about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Webinar...I love you guys. To get the info needed on an ongoing basis to view on their own time is perfect.

Back